Should I go to Bama knowing no one? (OOS)

<p>Years ago, I went to a very large high school (graduating class of around 700). About 10-20% of my graduating class went to the same large, IS, public school that I attended (so around 100 give or take).</p>

<p>Freshman year I occasionally saw a few of my former classmates around the dorms or walking between classes. Sophomore year when many students had moved off campus, I spoke to former classmates a few times on the phone. By junior and senior years, I don’t believe I saw a single person I had attended high school with at any time during the year.</p>

<p>Chances are even if you have the same major as former classmates, you will rarely see them in a class unless you make an attempt to schedule courses together, which is much more difficult in college than in high school.</p>

<p>Some kids go to college intent on becoming roommates with friends from home. For some it works out, but many find that living together is a completely different experience than being friends and choose not to continue on that path.</p>

<p>College has so many more groups and activities than high school, that former friends and classmates will probably each discover their own niche.</p>

<p>At a school with 30,000 people even 100, even 200 kids is such a small percentage that aside from a few chance encounters, you will never see each other unless you make an effort to do so.</p>

<p>So, while it may seem intimidating to go to a shool where you know no one and knowing that there are former classmates around to talk to or spend time with provides a level of comfort, odds are that even if you attend a large school with former classmates that you will each find your own path and ultimately the experience will not be that much different.</p>

<p>(Of course I assume that a smaller school where the same students interact more frequently would provide a different experience).</p>

<p>My son is an OOS sophomore at UA. He didn’t know anybody when he decided to go to UA, but is part of the MDB. MDB members arrive a week earlier than everybody else (similar to OA and AA). They are immediately immersed in the band and are busy, which was wonderful for him. His section also had activities going on and he met and made friends almost immediately. He’s also in CBH and is an engineering major. </p>

<p>He loves UA and has made really good friends - none of which he knew when he went there. This year, there are 5-6 freshmen from his high school in Texas attending UA. I think he started a trend!</p>

<p>^^That’s awesome. Whether it’s MDB, AA, OA, or something else, I think getting involved from the start is a great idea and really helps. :)</p>

<p>jrcsmom…great points.</p>

<p>Our son is an OOS, from Chicago, and did not know anyone. He used roommate finder to find one of his roommates, the other two were the luck of the draw. All four boys seem to get along well, they participate in activities and sometimes dine together.
During one of my few conversations with my son, he is not a great conversationalist (at least not with me)-I asked him how he liked the school. He used the word “great” three times in our conversation.
My advice is go for it!</p>

<p>Thanks for the reassurances everyone!! I’m amazed at all the outpouring of support I’ve seen on here!</p>

<p>I think I’ll go to Bama ;)</p>

<p>“You have chosen (dramatic pause) wisely.” </p>

<p>Welcome and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Roll Tide, rolltide94! Welcome to the real deal.</p>

<p>Everyone in from the midwest haha no joke. youll have no problems</p>