Should I go to Bama knowing no one? (OOS)

<p>So I loved the campus, and engineering program, and would love to go to a Bama. However, i would be coming from OOS (Midwest), knowing NO ONE, and I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences and how it turned out. I know I would love to go to this school, but I’m kind of worried that I would have trouble meeting people. If it matters, I would be majoring in engineering and would hopefully participate in MDB. </p>

<p>Thanks for the comments!!</p>

<p>Do it!</p>

<p>My son is from Hawaii, knew absolutely no one, made tons of friends, and loves UA. If you’re going to be in the MDB, I can’t see how you wouldn’t meet lots of kindred spirits right away.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Where in the midwest are you from?</p>

<p>My son is not in the MDB but I know a class of 2016 from the Chicago area who is. I’ve seen pictures of him with his band friends. They are a tight knit group and appear to be having a great time with each other.</p>

<p>College is for meeting new people and expanding your world beyond the people and places you are comfortable with. If the school is the right fit, do not let distance or lack or friends deter you.</p>

<p>Many OOS students, myself included, came to UA not knowing anyone. It might take a couple weeks for the more introverted, which would be the case at most any school, but you will find friends and enjoyable activities.</p>

<p>Participating in MDB and the freshman engineering courses all give you lots of opportunities to meet people. Also, don’t be afraid to attend events solo. I’ve met many of my friends at events I attended by myself. Too many freshman think that they have to be best friends with their roommates and don’t go to the Week of Welcome events without them. If you find something even remotely interesting, go to the event and have fun.</p>

<p>i think if you are going to be in the and you have an automatic friend group, so you will be all set.</p>

<p>my daughter came from texas knowing not one single soul. she met a girl at bama bound that she touched base with when school started. they are still friends to this day. she has made friends through greek life, engineering, volleyball class, friends, church groups, etc.</p>

<p>my daughter is not all that outgoing. if she could do it, so can you!</p>

<p>I plan to attend BAMA next year as an incoming freshman and I won’t know a single soul. I’m from the Midwest also. I’m nervous but it’s all a part of the experience so I’m also really excited. ROLL TIDE !!</p>

<p>My D is from the midwest and at the time she committed to Bama she knew no one else who was going there. It turns out a few other kids from her school ended up going, but two of them she barely knew and hasn’t even seen on campus. Before she got to campus, she met kids through Facebook and Roommate Finder. She did Outdoor Action and met more kids. Before classes started she had a group of friends from all over. I don’t think you’ll have trouble meeting people, especially if you’re in the MDB. College is a time to spread your wings and try new things, so don’t worry if you don’t know anyone at Bama now - go there and you will quickly know plenty of new friends.</p>

<p>You sound like me D- she’s an OOS freshman engineering (ChemE) student who didnt know another soul when she arrived on campus. She’s also in the MDB. Out of her 3 roommates, only 1 is in-state. There’s quite a high OOS population, so you wouldn’t be the only non-local. </p>

<p>I would definitely tryout for the MDB. My D said marching into Cowboy stadium last Saturday night was one of the most exciting things she’s ever done. It’s helped her meet people, especially in her section, and now she truly feels as if she belongs. </p>

<p>The key is getting involved- band, Greek, intramurals, etc. find something you like, and they will be a group you can join to help you meet other people. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I’m a big believer that if you are going to a school (any school) and you don’t know anyone, then you have to “dive in” head first into whatever is being offered…Alabama Action, Outdoor Action, WOW Week, etc.</p>

<p>Frankly, I would like to see some kind of AA or OA created for the non-honors kids as well.</p>

<p>Rolltide94 you sound like me last year! I was pretty nervous about my D being a Northerner in the South. Boy was I off base…My D is a new freshman at UA. We are from chicago and she did not know a soul on campus. She loves UA. She met her roommates on the FB 2016 page and thru Roommate finder and they are all wonderful friends. She has met people thru Greek Life, and her dorm. She is pretty outgoing and has not had any problems connecting with others. Plus there are some things that she says she just likes better down there…like Sweet Tea, Fried Fridays and of course Football!</p>

<p>Good Luck to you down the road…this forum is a wonderful way to get to know UA a little better.</p>

<p>Do it. My DD did and is having a blast ( maybe too much fun actually) and she readily admits she is a little socially awkward. I do suggest getting active on the facebook groups b/c she make friends before she even arrived that way. Also I think AA works well but she didn’t do it b/c I couldn’t bare to send her so far away any sooner than necessary.</p>

<p>M2CK- I wholeheartedly agree, OA and AA should be extended to include non honors kids. I personally know some boys who would have loved to participate in OA. ;)</p>

<p>OP, my son knows three kids from his high school but he didn’t socialize with them in HS and although they are all Facebook “friends” it would be unlikely that he’d seek them out at UA. One of the most exciting, albeit intimidating, college experiences is forging new friendships that allow you to grow. The friends he had from elementary school through high school will always be part of his life but now he’s making new friends and he’s learning more about himself as he develops new friendships. College is about growing socially and academically.</p>

<p>My son reached out to fraternity rush chairmen early in the spring and traveled to Bama alone several times to attend various parties and retreats and he met so many great young men from numerous fraternities. He found a house where he felt the most comfortable and is about to begin pledgeship. He also found his roommates through the Class of 2016 Facebook page and they communicated throughout the summer. All three are athletes, all three wanted to go Greek, and all three are from northern states. They are getting along well.</p>

<p>The first week after moving in to his dorm my son had a bought of homesickness. He missed the buddies he had been friends with since first grade, he missed his family, the dogs, his car,and my healthy cooking. He questioned his new friendships and compared them to his hometown friends. He questioned his social skills. He hated the heat. He even mentioned the word transfer! Needless to say, as parents my husband and I were thrown for a loop. Thankfully, he got over all of those doubts and insecurities quickly and is loving UA again. </p>

<p>I’m assuming that you will be part of the honors program since you’re planning on majoring in engeneering. UA seems to roll out the red carpet for honors kids so take advantage of
OA or AA, it’s a great way to meet people before school begins. Also, if you are part of the MDB you will find your people. I can only imagine that being a part of that is like being a member of a fraternity. You will spend hours a day with like minded people who will undoubtedly become like family. </p>

<p>I wish you well in your senior year of high school and in your college search.</p>

<p>Do it!
But don’t sit in your dorm and just study and play video games and then complain that nobody talks to you. Get out and do stuff, even alone. Start up random conversations. Keep a smile or at least a pleasant look on your face. Be interested in other people. Don’t sit by yourself in the cafeteria/food court. Go to a table with people and ask if you can sit with them. Introduce yourself.</p>

<p>I will most likely be an incoming freshman next year (UA is my top choice right now). I’m from the Midwest and there are literally four people from my entire state as freshman at Bama right now. When I visited however, a few things really helped me feel better about the distance from home…</p>

<p>-50% of students are from oos, so it’s not like everyone else will already know each other and also the faculty will know how to deal with oos students
-they have a lot of activities that will help you get to know people
-the deans and counselors I met with were willing to help with any problems with homesickness</p>

<p>I think you should go!</p>

<p>Go for it. My OOS DS is a freshman chem-e major in the honors college and in the MDB. On day one of band camp, he added 7 friends on FB and the rest is history. He knew no one in the band (and they move in a week and a half before everyone else) and it took him a whole day to get involved. Those section leaders embrace the freshmen. He is having a blast and seems to love UA. Take the leap. You will be glad you did!</p>

<p>Your college years should be a time to expand your horizons. You will meet new people, make great friends, and learn new things if you allow yourself to be open to the experience.</p>

<p>My son, a Northeasterner, knew no one at UA when he first visited. However, once he arrived on campus, that all changed. Now, he considers UA and Tuscaloosa a second home.</p>

<p>Don’t be afraid to embrace the “University of Alabama Experience”.
Good Luck and Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>My freshman son, from another world (NY), also knew nobody at UA. He has been there for 3 weeks. We have frequent contact between texts, skype, facebook, etc. Every time, he has been with other friends or is rushing out to meet. Only exception was Sunday morning, when he specifically went to do laundry knowing it would be empty. He has totally embraced the reset button that college provides. You get to start over building new friends, from a group of thousands looking to do just the same. Only difference is these thousands are probably friendlier than what you’re used to back home.</p>

<p>There are two programs Alabama Action and Outdoor Action (see the recent thread) that will enable you to get on campus early and participate in a community project.</p>

<p>There are also WOW (Week of Welcome) activities in which you can participate and make friends. There is usually an event which is held for Out of Sate Students to meet.</p>

<p>There are many clubs, groups and volunteer activities that you can join, just go to the “Get On Board Day” and find what you like. This is usually held during the first two weeks of class.</p>

<p>I saw an earlier post (perhaps on another thread) suggesting there should be a program similar to AA for those students who are not in the Honors College. Well, here it is:</p>

<p>[Community</a> Service Center](<a href=“http://www.volunteer.ua.edu/Acause.cfm]Community”>http://www.volunteer.ua.edu/Acause.cfm)</p>

<p>This program is open to all first year students and would be a great way to move in early and begin meeting other students. :slight_smile: I’m not sure why it said it was cancelled for 2012…I wonder if not enough students knew about it?</p>

<p>My daughter is an OOS student in her second year at the UA. She knew one other student personally who was also going to the UA, but my daughter preferred not to room with her since they had gone to school together for many years. She decided it was time for her to branch out and make new friends.</p>

<p>My advice to you is to try a little experiment. Set a goal for yourself over the next three weeks or so. During that time, put on a smile and step out of your comfort zone within your school and local community. Set a goal of making a new friend or two. Find a new activity that interests you and give it a try. Venture just outside of your comfort zone for a bit and test the waters…nothing crazy, but something positive that you just haven’t tried before like joining a community service project, etc.</p>

<p>Going away to college won’t be like high school. It isn’t supposed to be. I think it’s important for students to realize that many students will face a period of adjustment or homesickness, although to varying degrees. Putting a smile on your face, not being afraid to leave the roommate(s) behind and get out and about is a step in the right direction. Look for opportunities to engage others in conversation. Be yourself, but don’t be afraid to try new things while pursuing interests you may already have developed. Don’t rely on Facebook friendships…meet people face to face. Share your feelings with family, but don’t be too quick to push the panic button if it takes a few weeks to gain your footing. I really don’t think you’ll have any issues adjusting as an OOS student if you’re willing to keep an open mind and meet new people.</p>

<p>My daughter participated in Alabama Action and found it to be a great experience.</p>