Should I Homeschool?

I am in ninth grade and I go to an IB school and I am going to get my IB diploma if I continue where I am going till the end of the year. I like the curriculum and I like the general idea of IB, but I am unhappy with my teachers. They don’t really teach us anything and give us worksheets in class and we look up the answers on a computer (and that’s not considered cheating the teachers want us to do that so we get the answers right.) So, obviously, this is not the ideal education. I was thinking that I could continue IB but take all or most of my classes online through FLVS or some other homeschool option. Is that possible? What do you recommend I do? Thanks it means a lot. :slight_smile:

You cannot take IB courses through FLVS.
http://www.flvs.net/students/pages/find-course.aspx#highschool. Just honors and AP.
The apparent online IB program is through: http://www.pamojaeducation.com/
Which has a bit of a financial investment involved.
Is there anyway you can transfer to another brick and mortar school? I wouldn’t jump too quickly into the homeschooling option. What do your parents think about your situation?

^Ditto. Plus Pamoja requires counselor recommendations and additional hoops to jump through, from my understanding. IB is a program that requires a lot of certifications (hours, tests, IAs, EE, EAs, etc.) so it is very difficult to complete outside of the normal school environment. Is there any reason you prefer IB to AP?

The IBD doesn’t even start until 10th grade, how do you know what the teachers are like? Really, no functioning IB school will have swathes of crappy teachers, it is a labor of love. Look at your school profile, look at their SAT/ACT results, PSAT, Nat merit numbers. Get old IB results going back a few years. MYP is not IBD, pre IB is not IBD. The point of being in a decent pre IB track is to make sure you deal with any pre reqs and fluff stuff.

It might be hard for you to replicate the lab environment for the IB science classes. Socialization can also be an issue. Home schooling can be lonely.