Should I skip from AP AB Calc?

<p>I was the ultimate slacker in 9th grade, where I scored C's and B's on pre-IB Analysis and Functions, didn't study, didn't do HW, etc. So I had to take "mathematical studies", ie "study how to fall asleep". </p>

<p>This year, as a Junior, I am taking AP AB Calculus, which is still boring. Next year, I have to take BC Calc.</p>

<p>So a few questions:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Is it feasible to self study for the BC Calc AP, so that I can put it on my resume in time for college aps?</p></li>
<li><p>Is it feasible, or even possible, to skip BC Calc and go into MV calc or even HL Math senior year, and self studying during the summer, without utterly failing?</p></li>
<li><p>As a stretch, would it be feasible to skip into BC Calc second semester?</p></li>
<li><p>Do colleges look down on you taking what is essentially the same calculus two years in a row?</p></li>
<li><p>As a corollary to 2 and 1, is BC calc much different from AB calc?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I appreciate any advice!</p>

<p>Hi there! I’m also taking AB Calc right now but planning to do the BC exam! :slight_smile:

1. Yes, definitely. Just don’t delay much longer, because you want April to be mostly (preferably entirely) free for review for the big exam. Good for you! Let’s self-study and pwn in May! xD
  2. Well, if you’re going to self-study the BC exam, I would say wait until you get back your results from the exam. If you get less than a 4, I would stay in BC, because you can cancel your score next May anyway. Also, so many people get 5’s it’s not even funny, so it looks bad if you only get a 3 or less.
    I would not go into HL math unless you’re also planning on self-studying AP Stats (don’t. Just, don’t. Not enough colleges give credit for it, and it’s more complicated than you would think.), because someone said that the combo of BC Calc and Stats covers a little more than the HL curriculum. But seriously… trying to do all that work in one year? You’d have to catch up a freaking ton. And are you even allowed to switch subjects this close to the end of the game? Just wondering. Not an IB expert yet. :wink:
  3. Yes, just as it is feasible to self-study BC for second semester, especially because you have a good background in AB concepts.
  4. Not sure. :confused: Sorry!
  5. Considering that AB is 60% (if not more) of BC, and that you usually only need about 65-70% of the points to get a 5, then I would say BC is not much different from AB. BC is more an extension of some of the concepts/tricks learned in AB, except for series of course. xD</p>

<p>Good luck! :)</p>

<p>I studied AP Calc during the summer and went straight to IB Math HL. It was a tough choice because I took Pre-Calc Honors during my Junior Year, so I self-studied Calc by my own. It’s doable, but you might suffer at first. It was the best choice I made. If you love Math, try taking Calc BC and IB Math HL at the same time.
Also, Self-study Calc BC. If you get a 5, definitely take Multivariable Calc. IB Math focuses more on other topics, not just Calculus. It’s a fun class you can do it! Also I have a solid A right not in IB Math :)</p>

<p>^Wow, that sounds really cool!! :smiley:
Is Math HL a TON harder than Calc BC? Because a lot of people have been telling me that, so I’ve kinda wavered on decision-making process… (I’m a soph in MYP)</p>

<p>@ElvenRanger Well, IB math has different topics. If you did well on Pre-calc you’ll be alright. I like math so it’s really interesting for me. IB Math will help you once you get to Linear Algebra or Multivariable Calc.
Here are the topics that you will see:
Topic 1—Algebra
Topic 2—Functions and equations
Topic 3—Circular functions and trigonometry
Topic 4—Matrices
Topic 5—Vectors
Topic 6—Statistics and probability
Topic 7—Calculus
There are 4 options for Paper 3. (I’m doing Series and Differential Equations)
THe class itself might be like Calc BC, but the IB exams are definitely harder than the AP Exams. If you practice enough you will be ok. It depends on your teacher. Try asking older students that are currently taking the class. But, don’t get discouraged. Many people thought that it was a bad idea to do what I did(Even the teacher itself). But hey, I got a nice topic to write about in my College essays :slight_smile: If you have a question PM me.</p>

<p>1,2: I don’t know the AP curriculum well (my school only offers IB), but I took the BC calc test on my own without studying specifically for it and got a 5 (so I could take MVC in the fall after, diff eqs in the spring). I found the test extraordinarily straightforward, and was at times intrigued but never challenged. </p>

<p>HL Math does not require BC calc (though the series and differential equations option covers essentially the same stuff), the calculus is pretty basic (=same as SL, a little more abstract, +parts +subst). I am taking it right now and the core is actually not difficult. My school does the modern algebra option, which most high schoolers have no experience with, so I thought that was the most challenging. </p>

<p>As to how you would study for BC calc independently, I read Spivak’s Calculus cover to cover my freshman year and did the first half of the problems in every chapter. Completely changed my perspective not only on math but on the world.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice, guys.</p>

<p>Of course, the problem with getting feelers from people on the toughness of a math course is that you don’t know if they’re, like, much, much beyond you in math skills…</p>

<p>But, yeah. Skipping to BC calc next semester sounds enticing.</p>

<p>BC calc is a lot harder than AB calc FYI. Although if you’re good at math, you shouldn’t have much problems.</p>

<p>Take it :)!</p>