Should I submit skewed 1510 SAT to T20s?

I had a bad experience the first time I took the SAT with the school’s administration not doing it properly and thus having my entire class’ scores canceled. After that, I decided to just take it without studying and got a 1510 (790 RW and 720 Math), and resolved to just stick with the score as I was busy with ECs during summer and school. I’m majoring in Classics for the majoring of the T20s I’m applying to, and I thought the 790 RW would help with that. However, the Math score seems really low and doesn’t reach the 25th percentile for most of the schools I’m applying to. I’m having second thoughts about sending the score and going TO (but I’m Asian and come from competitive demographics). Any advice?

IMO, a 1510 with that score breakdown is very good for your choice of major. I vote to submit.

Good luck to you!

4 Likes

Yes - especially given the major - which will in many places that admit by major have a higher acceptance rate for less interested in the major.

Good luck to you.

3 Likes

I mean, probably don’t bother applying to MIT (which doesn’t have a Classics major anyway).

Otherwise, I would personally submit that to any university or college which was actually a good fit for Classics.

3 Likes

Based on your intended major, this site may help you with college selection:

Regarding your primary question, even for potential reaches — such as, say, Amherst, Hamilton, Princeton and Georgetown — I recommend that you submit your scores.

5 Likes

I am pretty sure a 790 in English is more rare than a 800 in math. I wouldn’t hesitate to submit that.

Do you have Math/Physics APs?

1 Like

4 on Chem, and got high As in Physics but bombed the AP exam. I have 5s on all the history/lang Aps thankfully

Many of the tippy top T20s would love to have an Asian American apply to their Classics major. I don’t think TO will hurt you, but I would suggest you submit. Your math score won’t hurt you.

Good luck!

Submit it. Definitely. That is a great score breakdown for what you want to study, and is also a good score overall. I know students who are unhooked who have submittedthat score or slightly lower with a similar breakdown who have gotten into ivies for English and history unhooked.

Submit! Last year, my D submitted a 1520 (740 E, 780 M) and was accepted to several “T20s” as a liberal arts major.

1 Like

Submit it. And then do not give it another thought. The math is very good, and tge English is stellar. Remember, scores have been skewed high by TO.

2 Likes