Should I take the SAT one more time?

<p>I have taken the sat three times. The first time I took in sophomore year was just a diagnostic test because I did not study for it at all. So I got 1040(CR 400, M640). After that I started buying books and doing lots of practice tests for my second try. I took it on October this year and got 1310( CR540, M770). I knew that this score is not good enough for A&M as my critical reading score did not reach 600. Therefore, I decided to give another try today. However,
I ended up messing up both sections( I would miss at least 2 questions on math and at least 20 questions on reading) </p>

<p>I have heard that taking SAT three times is the maximum; taking it more that three times would make you look desperate to get good scores. So should I take it one more time? I know it won't matter as long as I can get my reading up to 600, but what if I am not able to do that? Will it hurt my chances of getting into a&m?</p>

<p>What bothers me the most is that A&M requires all the scores; I can’t use Score Choice.</p>

<p>Julian, Quite honestly, you have already done an amazing job moving up from 400 to 540 in such a short amount of time.</p>

<p>I constantly missed like 11-17 questions on critical reading on the Princeton Review. I don’t know what happened when I took the real one. I was so depressed right after I got out of the test center:(</p>

<p>For A&M, I’ve never heard the 3 test rule. Everyone I’ve spoken to (from admissions) has said that taking the test a certain number of times doesn’t hurt/help your score (unless you do better of course!) And also, I know A&M takes all of your scores but I really think they only keep the highest one. I’m a senior who is in the application process and everywhere that I’ve read it says that A&M takes the highest test from one sitting. </p>

<p>I took the SAT for the second time today. Math was incredibly easy!</p>

<p>So that means I can take it as many as i want? WOW! By thw way, Math was OK. 700 is expected. But the critical reading was hard; I was totally lost on the article about a woman photographer in the great depression. The writing section is a relief for me as A&M doesn’t look at it at all.</p>

<p>Ditto on the writing lol. But I think we have different versions of the test! I had the other test that people are talking about on CC. </p>

<p>And yeah, as far as I’ve heard you can take it as many times as you want. But if you’re applying to other schools I’m not sure if it will help or hurt your chances by taking it more than 3 times.</p>

<p>To the OP have you considered taking the ACT? I know my D felt like the reading section was easier on the ACT. That was a couple of years ago but just a thought</p>

<p>When I was sophomore, I took both ACT and SAT as diagnostic tests. I found that SAT was easier for me because i could never finish each section on the ACT. so I decided to focus only on the SAT.</p>

<p>Ok so I got my score back
CR 600 Math 740 W560
I’m guaranteed to be an aggie now :)<br>
By the way, is it possible to cancel a future SAT? I’ve already signed up for March.</p>

<p>Yes, they might give you a partial refund if you do it soon enough. I think you can also “re-purpose” the money and take a subject test.</p>