Should kid take ACT again for t/20-30 schools? 35 Superscore, 33 top composite?

Hello! Trying to figure out if kid applying into engineering majors at places like UVA (possible ED), Wisconsin, Michigan, Wake, Villanova (maybe Northwestern ED) should take the ACT a third time. Top section scores are 34 M, 36 S, 35 E, 34 R but can’t seem to break through 33 top composite score and I know that’s the first thing they ask for on Common App self report. Most of these schools (not Wisconsin) say they Superscore but hard to tell if their median range reported scores from the Admissions Dept reflect highest single sitting scores kids report or Superscore. Thx so much for any advice!

If a school superscores, that’s how they will report data.

In addition to the highest composite score that common app asks for, it also asks for the highest section scores so that the schools that superscore can do so easily.

I do think all those schools you mentioned superscore, but double check that on the websites.

I lean towards recommending not to test anymore, but obviously I don’t have the full picture of your kid’s app, nor know their current psyche re:testing, how much prep they would need to do, other time obligations, etc.

2 Likes

My two cents is it seems like superscoring was made for your kid, and your kid won the superscoring game, so I would at least strongly consider devoting those resources to other worthwhile activities.

My premise here is superscoring schools don’t see any information value in making kids keep pulling the lever on the slot machine until it reads cherries all across. My understanding is they instead believe your kid has already proved what there is to prove with testing.

4 Likes

pretty sure UVA does not superscore ACT. Their policy is worded oddly, but they clearly superscore SAT and do not use that same language for ACT.

@Dean_J can you clarify/confirm UVA’s ACT superscore policy for OP?

Sounds like UVA looks at the highest section scores, correct?

1 Like

You have a great score with great scores in Math /science. Write a great essay to match. If you don’t get in somewhere it won’t be because of these scores.

4 Likes

No retake. His scores are good enough to check off that box. Concentrate on rest of app components.

4 Likes

I agree with everyone’s advice not to retake.

1 Like

Engineering schools are obsessed with scores. Not sure why, but I know they value it. At a school that doesn’t superscore, a difference between a 33 and 35 would be noted, especially for engineering.

Is your son going after merit money?

1 Like

It’s up to him. If he wants to take, prep and go ahead. But the ss is a 35.

Wake, btw, just got accredited by ABET and its engineering program is general (doesn’t appear to have specific majors) and is very new. I’d steer clear but that’s me. I’d go to an established program and frankly there are many that will produce solid outcomes similar to these on your list.

As fOR UVA, it says they do (ss) but then says to report scores as is. But I think Common only asks for highest by section if I remember right.

Nevertheless, they rate test as considered - meaning it’s likely not a huge influence in the decision.

Good luck.

Thank you, this is an interesting perspective. No, he won’t be looking for merit money or financial aid. Not sure if that makes much of a difference.

@northeastmom6:

I think I can answer your question about UVA. This is a section of Dean J from UVA’s blog about UVA admissions (she’s an associate dean in admissions at UVA):

"How UVA Reviews Scores

When we built our online reading system here at UVA, we taught the system to only show us the best section scores for each applicant. I don’t see all the scores a student sent us when I open a file. The system picks the best score from each section of the SAT or ACT. We use sections in our review, so the system doesn’t calculate a total score, it simply shows us the best section scores…"

The quoted section above was from a 2017 post though I would think she would have updated that info had it changed. However, you could/should check with admissions to see if this has changed. I do recommend reading through her blog as it is very comprehensive. I found it quite informative my my kid was applying to UVA.

Dean J also said this in one of her comments to this particular testing section:

“People who take these exams a bunch of times aren’t seen as showing extra effort. We honestly don’t spend as much time on this as you think.
The system will show us the best scores. We spend a couple seconds looking at them.”

Dean J also said this in the comments section:

“Decisions don’t rest on test scores. Remember that we are getting 3+ years of academic information from the school. That is far more interesting than the results of a four-hour exam.”

See: Notes from Peabody: The UVA Application Process: Standardized Test Advice for #UVA Applicants

2 Likes

Agree with others. Another test sitting might even prove counterproductive at this point if the student ends up with a lower composite.

Once a student reaches a very high level on a test, it is extremely difficult to increase the score because one or two points tips the balance. It’s easy to get one or two more wrong and end up with a lower score.

1 Like