Six figure salary right out of undergrad

Do the posters discussing all the nitty-gritty of RSUs and their tax implications want to spin off a separate thread?

Because that is not the topic of this thread.

4 Likes

My point is that college is too expensive, and some are worse than others when starting salaries are considered. It was incorrect for me to assume that Ivy outcomes would be better right out of the gate, especially in STEM fields.

1 Like

At many firms including my own the compensation package doesnā€™t change based on which school an applicant is coming from. We test rigorously for certain technical skills, as well as many soft skills. Once you pass that (high) bar and get an offer itā€™s going to be the same regardless of whether youā€™re coming from Stanford or Stony Brook.

8 Likes

In some technical fields, Stanford and Stony Brook are comparable.

I think the better comparison would be Stanford and U New Havenā€¦ or Stanford and Stonehill?

1 Like

This was true back when I entered the job market after college eons ago. I started at the same time with the same pay and title as another person who had just graduated Yale. I was a lowly Brooklyn College CUNY graduate. He kept saying (until realizing it fell on deaf ears), but I went to Yale!

3 Likes

I think a lot of folks claim: ā€œAt my company, hires from EliteU and StateU get the same pay package.ā€

That could very well be true, AND EliteU grads make more on average (to start, let alone 5/10/20 years down the line).

I would assume that at many of the better paying companies, EliteU grads have an edge (maybe a strong one) in getting in the door. Yes, a few StateU grads may also get hired, but thatā€™s a much harder path.

CompanyX pays their 10 EliteU new grads the same as the 10 from StateU (a generous $120K, say).

But StateUs (several of them) in the recruiting area graduate 5-20x as many people in the recruited majors as EliteUs, so your odds of getting past the various filters are likely much better from EliteU.

3 Likes

To my point above about Cornell starting salaries, it looks like EliteU grads donā€™t make more to start.

My son graduated from a ā€œTop 200ā€ state university in May. He had two jobs to choose from. He went with the lower paying job, but with better advancement opportunites. Heā€™s in training now, but making more than the mean starting salaries for Cornell Civil Engineering and Physics degree holders. Itā€™s not a white collar job. It certainly isnā€™t a STEM job. When heā€™s done with training heā€™ll make Cornell CS money. He will get a guaranteed annual raise, plus performance/seniority salary increases starting in year 3.

My son isnā€™t a unicorn. His job is something many people could pursue if they were so inclined. Thatā€™s why I was so surprised by the starting salary information reported above.

1 Like

There are many confounding factors. For example, are you comparing 2 grads who interview at the same company, have similar experience backgrounds + skill sets, and get similar marks on interviews? If so, Iā€™d expect them to generally get similar offers, regardless if one is from EliteU and the other StateU.

However, the state U and elite U kids often do not apply to the same companies. In general, state U kids are for more likely to apply to in-state companies; and elite U kids are more likely to apply to companies perceived as elite. They also often get different marks in interviews. Kids attending highly selective colleges (not just ā€œeliteā€ colleges) are generally more likely to ace technical interviews than kids who struggled academically and were rejected from more selective colleges due to worse academic performance.

That said, if you look at actual starting salaries, there is often only small differences ā€œeliteā€ colleges and less selective colleges in engineering as well as many other fields ā€“ too small to assume that the difference in salary relates to school name rather than differences in the typical individual students attending the respective colleges. Outliers with larger differences include ones associated with ā€œeliteā€ finance, such as economics and to a lesser extent mathematics. CS starting salaries also shows a larger correlation with college selectivity than typical. Some example numbers are below for engineering, from an earlier College Scorecard analysis (see previous posts for discussion and more detail about limitations).

T20 = non-Ivy, USNWR ranked 1 to 20
T50 = USNWR ranked 21 to 50
Major                   Ivies     T20    T50 Pri   T50 Pub    All
Mechanical Engineering   $71k     $72k     $66k     $66k     $63k
Engineering (All Majors) $70k     $73k     $69k     $67k     $63k
1 Like

As it should. The problem is that some firms either donā€™t have the internal resources (or too lazy?) to test their applicants, so they effectively outsource certain functions to the colleges, hoping those collegesā€™ admission criteria can do the trick for them.

I am speaking from first hand experience here so itā€™s not just hearsay. My organization makes dozens of offers globally each year (tech jobs) and as its leader I know what our comp packages look like.

It depends on the industry. Some like IB are pedigree sensitive - the Big Tech firms arenā€™t. Also ā€œeliteā€ vs ā€œstateā€ is not a good comparison for CS and engineering because many public flagships are much stronger than the Ivies and many firms specifically seek out grads from those public Us.
In other countries where we hire - like in India and China - the school makes a big difference because of substantial differences in rigor and breadth of curriculum between the elites and non-elites. Here in the US it really doesnā€™t matter.

Iā€™ll also add that for experienced roles (2/3+ years out of college) which school an applicant went to makes 0 difference. At that point itā€™s the applicantā€™s skills, experience and attitude that get them the job.

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s the difference in curricula, rather than in the quality of students. Students in IIT or Tsinghua have been selected in a process thatā€™s arguably much more rigorous and meritocratic.

4 Likes

However, if there is no difference in curricula, then hiring based on college name is hiring college graduates based on their high school achievements.

2 Likes

Yes, but not everyone wants to be a police officer.

4 Likes

Congrats to your son - sounds promising.

That said, ā€œnot a white collar jobā€ often corresponds to a shallower salary curve, over oneā€™s career. i.e. There are various professions where one can earn ~$60K+/year as a 22 year old with no college degree, but many of them top out closer at, say, ~$100K, whereas a lot of college grad careers go well past that.

2 Likes

I think for some firms, itā€™s just being efficient.

Itā€™s highly efficient for banking and consulting firms to simply have target schools where they recruit on-campus. Anyone can apply from anywhere, but focusing on-campus recruiting efforts at schools where students have already been vetted by high standards just makes sense.

Agreed, but more might, if they realized they could be compensated better than Ivy grads.

True. The assumption is that better students in high school are much more likely to remain better students in college. Itā€™s not a bad assumption even though thereā€™re obviously exceptions.

1 Like

At the risk of incurring the wrath of many posters here - I think this is more applicable in other countries because of what @1NJParent mentioned:

Based on 2+ decades of hiring experience, I cannot say the same of our ā€œeliteā€ schools here in the US. Of course, they attract many of the best and brightest students but they also consider many factors in admissions that are of no concern to colleges abroad (like athletics, filling a niche institutional need, etc) or do not directly relate to skills in the job market. So ā€œvetted by high standardsā€ doesnā€™t always apply when a firm is looking for candidates with certain skillsets. We (as a firm) have learned we get the best candidates when we cast a wide net.

3 Likes

To add insult to injury, that tax has to be paid even if the company fails. My son is going through this exercise as we speak. You risk losing the cost to exercise and the tax on the differential between the strike price and declared value at the time. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Itā€™s a good reason for a boutique firm, but probably not a good reason for a large firm. IME, thereā€™re several other reasons in addition to the one you mentioned above:

1. These firms are full of graduates of the elite schools, and their hiring managers have natural affinity and familiarity with the elite schools; and

2. These firms are in the relationship business. Graduates of elite schools have social networks that are more valuable to these firms.

2 Likes