Six figure salary right out of undergrad

From what I remember Netflix doesn’t offer RSU so it’s just base plus bonuses and 130k to 150k for software engineers most likely just the base pay.

Agreed! Companies pay for skills. The more unique and desired that they are, the better the package will be.

I doubt it. Majority is contemplating pre-med track.

40%+ undergrads contemplate a career in health sciences is what I was told.

1 Like

Contemplate is a tough word though - my daughter contemplated Public Health til she saw the bio and science requirements.

3 Likes

And others contemplate until they get back their Organic Chemistry grades.

7 Likes

Back in the day I contemplated health care – then I caught a whiff of formaldehyde . . .

1 Like

I am personally scared of dead people. Lol.

Of course, there are many weed-out steps where contemplation can stop:

• When they get their MCAT score.
  • When the pre-med committee at their college tells them that their chances of admission are low and that they won’t get the top recommendation in the pre-med committee’s letter.
  • When they apply to dozens of medical schools and get shut out.
1 Like

Or when they take their first advanced statistics course and realize that they LOVE statistics, and they can get a master’s degree in epidemiology or public health, find a great job and be earning a great living doing meaningful work in health care by the time the pre-meds are taking anatomy and meeting their cadaver.

10 Likes

Curious what entry level and mid-career epidemiology pay is like. Or public health.

The highest salaries are in big pharma. The companies which make the flu vaccine need to know what/who/when/where, given that the disease mutates every year around the world. That’s a HIGH need for statisticians and epidemiology. These are also the organizations with deep pockets for research- all the work that needs to be done before a drug goes into a clinical trial. Modeling outcomes, changing variables, if this is the right dose for a 250 lb. man, what is the right dose for an 85 lb child? Or examining co-morbidities… complex analytical work using huge datasets.

Next down are the large hospital systems- think about the companies which run 15 hospitals and 50 satellite clinics and 70 outpatient facilities.

Down from that are the NGO’s-- but some of them pay pretty well (think Gates/Malaria).

And then government- all the operational, policy, etc. organizations. And lots of research facilities-some the public has heard of and some not.

The outliers- companies like Walmart and Aetna making a huge push into primary care, they are going to pay big bucks for the right talent.

A very well-paying, interesting career. Definitely pays better than MD in the early years (you can already be on a management track while your med school cohort is just starting residency) although peak career earnings are not going to match orthopedics, dermatology, and the other super paying specialties. But the work is so different- you are trying to heal (or create preventative strategies) for millions of people at a time, not cure grandma’s lung cancer…

7 Likes

My daughter is also majoring epidemiology, statistic, public health master’s degree let’s see where she would end up, I am really excited.

Curious is any of your kid in the above field?

No. I am curious because I wanted know about these fields. If my kids were in these fields, I’d know them intimately :-).

2 Likes

I had 3 roommates in grad school who were getting their master’s degrees in Epidemiology. This was many years ago, but they said that many in their cohort had MD’s and they felt that they were at a bit of a disadvantage because they did not. Would some of the higher salaries for Epidemiologists be for those with MDs?

2 Likes

One typically needs an MPH or better to get a good job. If one takes the PhD route then it is as long or longer than getting trained to be a medical doctor.
Basically, a BS in biology or related fields can get you very little in compensation right out of the gate. Even a pharma job will pay ~$50-60K plus benefits and that is pretty standard. The one exception is if the candidate has experience in bioanalytical, in which case I have seen salaries in the $70K+ range right out of school.
Many kids will get a minor in bioanalytical chemistry, data science (programming) and such to land a better paying job. Those taking the data science route know at least “R” and can do statistical programming and some can do more like Python, Javascript, SAS etc.

2 Likes

If you end up in big pharma, healthcare consulting or hospital administration, you’ll be earning more than pediatricians and family practitioners and sooner than they start earning attending salaries.

1 Like

My child graduated from a top university with a MPH in Epidemiology a few years ago. Most masters degree cohorts secured jobs in the $40-$60,000 range, with many of them contracted ( no benefits).
My child secured a consulting position in a prestigious consulting firm ( very rewarding)to begin post graduation. They were one of 4 to get this job. They were the top paid out of the whole graduating class - just barely under 6 figures. My child has since been recruited and is working for an even more prestigious firm in health consulting. My child makes a lot!! of money and works very very hard. Friends are not fairing as well with salary ( not even close), even a few years post graduation. Hopefully, the pandemic in the long run, will change the pay scale for MPH’s as a whole. They provide a much needed view in healthcare. Able to marry the scientific with the social that MD’s and PhD’s may struggle with- Just my opinion.

4 Likes

Majority of big pharma big$$ jobs require a PhD+ postdoc or MD. Business track in pharma requires MBA. Healthcare consulting requires advanced degree (typically MBA or MD/PhD) for advancement, hospital administration requires MBA for advancement or some other advanced degree.