Small LAC in NE or Midwest with great merit for strong, humanities-loving, musical student

Good question. We informally toured it and she didn’t love the surrounding area. We do like that there’s a Jewish community in the student population, though. NPC wasn’t great.

Yes, this! It seems that merit is most often used to fill the amount of need the school thinks you have. So the merit gets you down to your EFC, but not necessarily more than that unless it’s a big award.

1 Like

Williams also has a great music program that takes advantage of Tanglewood which is close by.

Sending you a private message. Look for the green circle in the upper right hand corner of your screen, on the picture of you two.

1 Like

Could you please explain this relationship between Tanglewood and Williams? The college is not in session when Tanglewood is open for concerts.

1 Like

Has anyone suggested Bard?

2 Likes

St. Olaf.

I think College of Wooster is one of the few schools that offers merit pre-reads, so we will definitely do that to see where she lands.

1 Like

Whitman also offers a financial pre-read.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for this!

We toured Bard campus last spring and she got a strange vibe, which I’m sure was made worse by Covid and the emptiness. She thought it lacked centralized, communal areas, and not easy to walk all over campus. But from what I understand, it is a good fit in other ways.

Yes, but Washington is FAR from Philly:)

She is not good with heat! I don’t think I can sell Texas.

Do you have any experience knowing someone who got great merit at Beloit?

Good point. We did give Gettysburg a quick thought. We visited years ago for some American history learning and she still remembers how strange the civil war pride vibe was or something like that. But that was obviously based on being at a museum, not in the town.

Yes, she does have two academic teachers; one I neglected to include in this post was her English teacher of last year who she is working with again this year on a big research paper.

1 Like

Swarthmore and Bryn Mawr probably too close to home. I taught elementary school right off the campus of Swarthmore; the professor’s kids were a joy to teach.

As a baseline, LACs with especially flexible (and accessible) curricula include Amherst, Hamilton, Smith and Grinnell.

3 Likes

Yes, I do. My daughter was a junior Transfer and got the Presidential merit plus. Over $35,000. As a transfer that’s a lot.

For a freshman, you might be eligible for a free ride or close with those stats. It’s a great school with great kids and families. Many, many kids go there. because of the merit. It’s like a diamond in the rough school BTW…

4 Likes

The Williams Music Department includes several members who are fellows with Tanglewood. The Music department has several gifted teachers that are drawn from the Berkshire music scene.

2 Likes