Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

I stand corrected.

If I remember correctly in Miami of Ohio premed is comajor. So you cannot use it as a primary major.

Also the whole concept of Comajor at Miami of Ohio is very strange to me. Here is what is listed on the website
The term “co-major” indicates that students must complete another, primary major in one of the divisions at Miami University. There is no specific degree designation for the co-major; students receive the degree designation of their primary major.
So you work for that co-major and then it is not even listed on your diploma
 I do not get it
 Why even bother?

Pre med is advising and helping students complete the proper courses.

It looks like it’s just formalizing the things you should do - it even says you don’t need to do the co major to apply successfully to med school. But it also says of the co major - “The academic courses required by the co-major are essentially the prerequisite courses needed for admiss”

But it’s an interesting program.

Premedical and Pre-Health Studies Co-Major | Mallory-Wilson Center | CAS - Miami University (miamioh.edu)

Great! And most successful are Asian males

If you are not Asian better think twice according to this data

1 Like

Wow, 16.5%.
And of those 16.5%, only 40% get into med school.
That’s a HUGE process of attrition.
1° we should keep that in mind when students speak of being “pre-med” on this website
2° Necessary to some extent but perhaps worth looking into to ensure the process doesn’t needlessly eliminate students who would make good doctors
(for instance, the process must include ability to process scientific material very quickly but perhaps penalizes students who aren’t ready to hit the ground running as freshmen? I’m sure the AMA is thinking about all this.)

Chronicle of Higher Ed had an article about student resilience, recently: First Gen and Minority students tend to analyze their results differently from upper middle class students.
A C in chemistry freshman year will mean different things for them - “it’s not for you” v. “keep pushing, you struggled but now you’ve found your footing” type of thing.
Which reminded me of a 2-part series* about a UT Austin first gen freshman from a low income family who’d attended a low income school who had been admitted as part of the “top 6%” rule; early on, as a freshman, she was really struggling and failing math (part 1) and her mother told her “you gave it a try but perhaps college isn’t for you” (when my instinct would have been to say “go to the tutoring center, go to office hours
”) and who, through specific support/mentoring, not only passed, but flourished and became a math major (when my instinct would have been “ok, you’re failing math, what major interests you outside STEM?”)
(* sorry, can’t seem to find it but will post if I do)

1 Like

Unless I am missing something, I actually see it as a positive. It organizes all of the requirements that students need, allows for PD, builds in meetings with advisors etc. It’s really not another major, it’s an organizational tool and sounds kind of interesting.

A student chooses a major, and the co-major helps keep them on track as a premed student. It is not designed to be another major, so the name can be misleading.

Students do not need to do this, but for some it might be beneficial. I assume there is a lot of overlap for those who major in biology etc.

Most schools do not have a “premed” major, but it seems a few do.

2 Likes

Not sure of the exact article you are looking for, but I think this is the same UT Austin math support program. I agree that there are a lot of students who might make excellent doctors, but get weeded out at the beginning due to poor performance early in college after attending weak high schools. A nurturing program can make all the difference.

5 Likes

And some proportion of the 16.5% never apply to med school because that’s not their goal.

1 Like

Please move the conversation along from the low rates of applying to med school. Thank you.

I would not worry about this data point, but I would look at the overall picture. I would continue to focus on your student, her strengths, where she would thrive, etc. I would make sure she has a backup plan, and I would keep in mind that she might change her mind as her exposure increases, interests change, etc.

A backup plan might emerge as her exposure increases.

3 Likes

DD has pack up plan or maybe even several of them. That is why she is not interested in major in Biology (most popular premed major.)

3 Likes

Excellent :slight_smile:
Your strategy is sound and I’m sure she’ll have good news sprinkled throughout application season - do return to this thread to update us!

5 Likes

Hello,
I saw your comment about the type of person or the feel being different at different schools.

Is there any way to find out about this? I and my daughter have no idea besides Fiskes guide. How to tell which schools have which type of student?

Thank you!

I’m late to this party. . . has she made a decision? Just read the OP and it sounds to me like Muhlenberg fits just about all of the criteria you’ve listed.

1 Like

Many of the guides have various lists, like most conservative/liberal colleges, most crunchy/preppy, best/worst food, etc. Most importantly, visit and talk to students who go there.

As much as we liked Muhlenberg due to RD and deadlines, it is the very last school DD will apply out of 20 on the list. We actually by now have a bit of reservations about Muhlenberg due to it being very artsy school and DD is not very much artsy person. She actually hated visit to Oberlin. If she will be accepted to Muhlenberg with good scholarship and it will be runner up, we will need to visit again during semester. Last time we visited during spring break and we need to see students and their interactions not one student and administrators like last time.

1 Like

It is way too early in the process for final decision. At this point DD is sinking with supplemental essays. Many schools have their own scholarships that are opened to students after initial application. One scholarship she was considering had 8 short essays
 DD is having Thanksgiving writing marathon. 3 were done today. 7 more essays will be done by December 1st
 Frankly, we have absolutely no idea what would be final school.

8 Likes

We visited on a Thursday a couple weeks ago, and it was bustling, kids seemed friendly and not all one type (artsy or anything else).

@momsearcheng - just curious if there’s an update. Any decisions in, etc.?

6 Likes