Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Just looked up my daughter’s final transcript (Barnard). The A/P, Columbia University summer semester, DE credits all show up, with credits in the “credits” column, but without a letter grade next to it.

Then, at the bottom, for the GPA calculation (for latin honors, etc.), they break down the credits earned and their sources - but only their own credits count towards the GPA:

BARNARD POINTS COMPLETED [GPA] xxx [x.xx]
TRANSFER POINTS xxx
SUMMER POINTS xxx
OTHER POINTS xxx
CUMULATIVE POINTS COMPLETED xxx

So non-Barnard credits were helpful for having necessary total credits, for completing minors, for fulfilling general education requirements, for skipping 101 courses. The most tangible benefit was that it opened up her weekly schedule so she sometimes was able to cherry-pick interesting courses/professors that otherwise would have schedule-clashed with still-needed courses.
But no effect whatsoever on GPA.

Grad school application required both the Columbia University(even though it had transferred) and Barnard transcripts, but not dual-enrollment transcript (taken early in High School).

2 Likes

My transfer courses (back in the Stone Age) appear on my transcript where I got my bachelors…with grades. But the grades were not used to compute my overall GPA.

And more important. Even though these courses appeared on my bachelors school transcript, I was still required to send my freshman transcript directly from that college when I applied for ALL advance degree programs…and jobs.

So how does this affect the science GPA? Don’t med schools look at science GPA?

Bottom line: There are no shortcuts to med school.

8 Likes

Here’s my question to OP:

What’s your question at this point? You seem to know all the minutia necessary for your mature daughter to get where she wants to go in the very way you and she want her to get there.

6 Likes

I keep messing up my post because I am so confused at this point.

The OP wants a medical school that will accept CC credits and will not require advanced science classes during undergrad in place of those credits. This will protect the gpa.

The OP has this. NOVA is doing exactly what they want, but the OP says the BS portion will not prepare the D for the MCAT, because it’s too easy. Yet, Nova is giving them exactly what they want.

This is a no win situation. There are no short cuts to medical school.

9 Likes

Actually I learned about two deposits. I would never think about it for transfering credit purposes. We were entertaining this for older DD when she was on waitlist… Fortunately, she was accepted to where she wanted to go before deadline.

It feels like you are seeking to make sure you know and leverage every angle to forge a very narrow, specific, customized path that may or may not exist.

5 Likes

OP- do you trust and have faith in your daughter’s ability to do well in college and get into medical school? It sounds like you have doubts.

It used to be that she wanted a small school so that there would be “hand holding.” Now it seems that is not enough, and she also needs a medical school that will accept her CC classes as prerequisites without any additional work required.

If she doesn’t get in or changes her mind, do you trust that she will come up with an alternative plan that she likes?

2 Likes

OP, what science classes will your daughter have at NOVA, if she decides to go there.

2 Likes

Taking the MCAT with only credits from a CC in HS is a recipe for disaster

5 Likes

I agree, but it seems that NOVA allows for this (unless I am wrong).

The OP appears to be looking for shortcuts.

1 Like

No shortcuts to the MCAT.

2 Likes

I agree with you. I am rehashing what I believe the OP is thinking.

1 Like

I think OP has been given a lot to think about and has already thought a lot.

Interested to hear their thoughts after Rhodes and other ideas they explore in the next two months.

4 Likes

@momsearcheng

No undergrad prepares a student for the MCAT. Not even Harvard.

The responsibility for MCAT preparation rests solely with the student.

Will Nova offer your daughter the fundamental knowledge needed to score 502+ on the MCAT?
Yes.

Will your daughter be able to score a 502 on the MCAT?
I don’t know–that’s entirely up to her, her test taking skills, her work ethic and her native talents and abilities.

FWIW, I don’t know of any undergrad that offers MCAT prep classes to students as part of the regular curriculum. (I know there are a few career changer post-bacc programs that do, but even those are pretty uncommon.)

There are multiple options for MCAT prep. An in-person class is just one option. In-person individual or group tutoring, online individual tutoring, online classes, and self-study are some others. There are tons of materials available (some for free!) for MCAT prep. Your daughter can choose the methods and modalities that work best for her.

8 Likes

U Richmond does! Not sure how many students take the class, but a nice option to have.

https://prehealth.richmond.edu/mcat-preparation/index.html

2 Likes

I guess after reading this- Nova (never heard of it until this thread, but I am on the West Coast) is the best option. But are you worried then she can’t score the 503 (or whatever the min score) is? Is that the real issue here for not just going there?

I am under the impression that the OP originally thought that the DO portion was weak in some way. I do not believe that they feel this way now.

I think the new concern is that the BS portion is weak, and that it will not prepare students for the MCAT (it seems students do move on to the DO without difficulty). Ironically, the BS/DO has exactly what the OP is looking for, yet they feel it is weak. I find this to be confusing.

The OP is minimizing/not recognizing the student’s role in getting a good MCAT score, getting accepted to medical school, etc. They seem to be putting it all on the school.

I am starting to think that the OP wants an easy acceptance or that there is little confidence in her daughter. Or both.

Honestly, this is making me dizzy. I never experienced this type of discussion before. There appears to be a huge concern about a topic that most do not zero in on.

6 Likes

My daughter is prepping now for the MCAT in April. One crazy thing I learned in the process is that it’s not easy to get a testing spot!! Back in early fall when she was registering, the only spot available was in Nashville (and we are in CA). I told her to get on some waitlist and at least find something in the same time zone. An opening came up in a state in the Mountain time zone, but we will need to spend easily a thousand+ with flights and hotel to take the test. So something to consider as well!

6 Likes

For the MCAT? Yikes…there are lots of places where the MCAT can be taken. But then…in CA, there are a LOT of people taking it!

@WayOutWestMom would it really be impossible to find a MCAT testing center in CA?

1 Like