Smallish Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Schools w/Merit?

Why Rhodes? It is in TN not in Mid-Atlantic or Northeast.

I would say 40K at JHU is more an anomaly than a norm. Was it all merit?

Just to set the record straight, Juniata is about 37% athletes (not atypical for LACs). This site, Equity in Athletics, is the best source to get proportion of unduplicated athletes at a given school.

I don’t have any new school recs for this student, but second many schools that have been mentioned and Clark, Wheaton, and SUNY New Paltz in particular.

1 Like

Thanks for correcting me! I’ve never seen statistics; we just followed enrolled kids and got the feeling that was the case. It is good to see the actual number and that our understanding was correct.

JHU’s website says they give 20 Hodson Trust merit scholarships for 2/3 tuition. They also give 2 engineering merit scholarships. So, odds aren’t great.

That is exactly my point. Yes, it is theoretically possible but I would not count on it unless child is a winner in some tremendous competition. JHU is one of the top schools in the country. Getting accepted there is almost impossible. Many people who are lucky to get to JHU will be happy to pay full freight.

5 Likes

It was all merit. I don’t know what the odds are. The person did not matriculate there.

1 Like

Looks like odds are tiny… See the post above by @momofboiler1.

1 Like

No, most people will NOT pay full freight at JHU. 54% of students get need-based aid (more than half the student body), average aid package of 55K, and they are now a “no loans” college for undergrad.

Stop posting false statistics!

1 Like

I think momsearcheng was referring to merit. Most people do not get it at JHU (or similar colleges).

3 Likes

So it would be accurate to state that it is hard to get merit at JHU, NOT that “most kids are full payers” which was what was posted.

Well, I do not post false statistics. I live nearby and quite a lot of people in the area apply and many pay high $. I would like to see a person with 55k aid because my friends with FA did not get such aid! Some people get big FA at Ivies too. That does not mean that many people should expect it.

Yes, there are some sad stories there. But they do give merit. Anecdotal reports tell only so much, especially the ones about students who were disappointed. According to their common data set, 32% of last year’s freshman class received non-need based scholarships. When we consider Rochester’s high % of international students - about 25% - and the fact that international students are normally full pay, that 32% becomes closer to 43% of domestic freshmen getting non-need based scholarships. Rochester is an excellent school. Given that their acceptance rate is around 40% and given this student’s class rank, combined with a high level of rigor, which is very important to UR, he might be one of the 43%to get a scholarship.

In addition to those receiving scholarships, about 52% of last year’s freshman class received need based aid. Again, factoring in the number of full pay international students, this adjusts to about 66% of domestic students receiving need based aid. Some receive both. The average cost of attendance at UR last year was $33,000. That didn’t happen without a lot of scholarships and financial aid being awarded.

All I’m saying is that it’s worth investigating.

1 Like

Hopkins also has 24 kids (or more if they split the awards) on athletic sholarships too Not sure how they are reporting those. It’s just an oddity in a Div 3 school because theyplay D1 in lax., but almost $2M per year (if COA is $80k).

I do not know what is going on there. COA is huge with their FA (nothing close to the $33K average you mentioned or to EFC on FAFSA). DD’s friend got some merit, but very little. Did not make a dent… My friend’s daughter also got some merit last year that did not make a dent. So you can look at CDS and read about some averages, but the school is deciding what to do with its money… Something is not adding up…If 3 families whom I know and who are normal middle class without BMWs and million-dollar houses cannot afford it and walk away, I would not advise others to apply. And BTW DD’s friend is a tippy top student. I am sure that UR will have no problems filling its classes.

Make it 4. I know a top student who was accepted with no need based aid although he did receive a small scholarship. However 4 examples are really just anecdotal. They are what they are.

The only thing I can think of is that UR is very holistic in their admissions assessments. Test scores are not a factor. They may be looking for a certain kind of student and putting their money into those applicants.

Even if there are a dozen examples of applicants who appeared worthy but who were not funded , that’s a reason to exercise caution but not to write off such an excellent school where the acceptance rate is 40%. If it were me, I would address the question to Admissions directly and perhaps to a Financial Aid Officer as well - preferably in person. I’d then evaluate what s/he says. Another source of information is the high school guidance counselor to see if there’s any history with past applicants from that school.

Anecdotes raise questions. They don’t provide answers.

4 Likes

I know someone who works at Microsoft and is not a millionaire. That doesn’t mean that Microsoft didn’t make (or continues to make) millionaires at an astonishing rate, even decades after its IPO.

Most people do not make decisions based on a sample size of three or four. But sure, assume that your friends and neighbors are representative of the ENTIRE population of HS students.

Let’s return to the OP’S questions please instead of debating and swapping war stories. OP can further research URochester and ask additional questions here.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.