SMU vs. UT Austin for Economics with BEOP or Human Dimensions and Organization

Thanks
Do you think that it would be worth it to go to UT over SMU even if it means doing econ with a minor in like finance or wealth management over being in Cox?

Not if you want to go home every weekend.

Even if you were in business at UT, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d go over SMU. They are different schools

You like UTā€™s vibe so thatā€™s one thing.

Econ is not business - and you would study investments at both ( if you did a wealth minor).

If you really plan to go home every weekend, stay close.

Is SMU a good cultural fit for her? SMU is known as Southern Money University with a strong Greek influence and a very small Asian population.

Im not trying to disparage the school as weā€™re visiting on Mustang day, but weā€™re going into this understanding their rep.

Candidly, I would not pick SMU over UT unless she absolutely wants to study business and being close to Dallas is a must.

ā€œshe absolutely wants to study business and being close to Dallas is a must.ā€

Unless OP has changed this is potentially yes and yes.

I think op prefers UT but maybe not the major and definitely not the distance.

I think itā€™s nuts to go home each week but thatā€™s what OP wants - and if OP is going to do this, when you think about the distance both ways, SMU makes much more sense.

1 Like

People should respect your privacy and stop repeatedly stating they wouldnā€™t go home on weekends or that doing so you will ā€œwreckā€ your college experience or calling you ā€œnutsā€. You state itā€™s personal which translates to move on itā€™s important to me.

I have no idea what your circumstances are but I respect that your ability to access your family is a top priority. Good for you to set your priorities and stick by them.

5 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

Donā€™t respond to hidden posts; they were hidden for a reason and and responses will also be hidden.

In addition, those hidden posts are more appropriate for PM if they really need to continue.

1 Like

I will add a personal experience. Decades ago when getting admissions decisions from MBA programs I found out my father was terminally ill. He was determined for his situation not to derail my attending a particular school that was several hours away by train and I was determined to be there for him. So I choose my dream school knowing full well I would have to balance those commitments with my responsibilities to my family.

I came home very frequently having classmates often join me, spoke to my dad daily and had amazing support from study group mates who found ways to ensure I never felt left out.

Today is actually the 32nd anniversary of his death. It worked out to be a week before I graduated. He was extremely proud of my completing the program and I was blessed to have found a way to be with him and support my mom. While I did miss out on some things I also didnā€™t let the circumstances derail my life which would have gutted my dad.

I have no idea what your personal circumstances are but I strongly suggest you ignore anyone that tells you how to define your priorities or suggests you are wasting an opportunity by trying to ā€œmulti taskā€ things you value. You are showing maturity beyond your years.

Once again good luck.

2 Likes

Yeah, OP, you do you.

If being with family on the weekends is top priority, then just go to SMU. Period.

If you decide to opt for Econ instead of Biz Admin, Iā€™m sure you can switch to Econ. (or just about anything else SMU offers not called CS or Engineering. hehe)

SMU is a quality school ā€“ nothing to worry about there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If youā€™d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.