So... apparently changing majors can get me "dismissed" from A&M

<p>I was a BIMS major coming into A&M. Was BIMS for my freshman and sophomore year. At the end of my 2nd year, I didn't make the GPR requirements, so I got kicked out and switched to Bioenvironmental Sciences. For the past few days, I've been e-mailing my adviser and I told him that I was going to try to switch back into BIMS, upon which he said that I can risk getting dismissed from the university.</p>

<p>Is this true? Anyone want/like to divulge more info. on this matter? Can someone post a link to A&M's official site stating their rules/regulations regarding the changing of majors?</p>

<p>123abc456, I can’t see why your advisor would give you bad advice. What’s in it for him/her? It is typically wise to follow your advisor’s advice. But then, I’m a parent. We tend to think that way. ;)</p>

<p>You’re not risking dismissal simply because you’re changing majors. Changing majors doesn’t get a student dismissed. From what I can tell, based on the little bit you’ve shared, you’re risking dismissal because your academic record is not up to par for enrollment in upper-level BIMS courses. I’m guessing. </p>

<p>Students requesting a change of major into BIMS must fulfill two criteria. 1) Complete the BIMS CBK courses with a grade of C or better in each course taken at A&M, and while attempting each course no more than twice. And 2) A minimum of 55 completed semester hours with a cumulative resident GPR of 2.5 or better.</p>

<p>THEN, any BIMS student admitted to upper-level BIMS courses who then falls below the 2.5 GPR requirement will not be considered in good academic standing in their major and will be placed on college probation.</p>

<p>And THAT’S why you would risk dismissal from A&M. Not because you’re changing majors, but, presumably, because your academic standing may not hold up to the academic standards of the BIMS program.</p>

<p>Then, from TAMU’s Student Rules, </p>

<p>12.2 In the event an undergraduate student becomes scholastically deficient, he or she may, after review by his or her academic Dean or designee, be:
12.2.1 Suspended from the university—for deficient scholarship; or
12.2.2 Permitted to continue in school on scholastic probation; or
12.2.3 Warned of scholastic deficiency; or
12.2.4 Blocked from continued enrollment in his or her college or major.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what your grades currently are, but your advisor may think that they’re too low right now or that they’ll be too low shortly after you are re-enrolled in the BIMS program, assuming that they would permit re-admission.</p>

<p>If you’ve already attempted a few BIMS CBK courses twice, then you will have 1 more time to attempt those same courses. … Or you’ll once again find yourself academically deficient. </p>

<p>I am guessing that your advisor thinks you’re playing with fire – that you’ll not be able to maintain the grades you need for success, and possibly that the BIMS Dean won’t be lenient with a re-admit who falls back into academic deficiency. But that’s just a guess.</p>

<p>Here are some links:</p>

<p>[Texas</a> A&M University 09-10 Undergraduate Catalog](<a href=“http://catalog.tamu.edu/09-10_UG_Catalog/vet_med/biomed_science/index.htm]Texas”>http://catalog.tamu.edu/09-10_UG_Catalog/vet_med/biomed_science/index.htm)</p>

<p>[12</a>. Scholastic Deficiency/Probation | Student Rules](<a href=“http://student-rules.tamu.edu/rule12]12”>rule12)</p>

<p>Great answer. Thank you very much.</p>

<p>You’re welcome. :slight_smile: I hope that you find contentment in whichever major you end up. There IS life outside of BIMS! It’s okay. ;)</p>