So if this is what "early" looks like, who actually gets admitted to T20-50 schools in the regular round?

I’ve seen a lot of posts by applicants like me who are unhooked, live in “oversubscribed” states, have GPAs in the 3.9-4.0 UW range, high rigor, 1500-1550/34-35 test scores, strong ECs, recs, essays who were largely deferred in the early rounds by T20-50s (e.g., Northeastern, Villanova, Boston University, Tufts, Boston College, Richmond, Boston College, Miami, Tulane, etc).

RD admission rates are terrifyingly low. I fear these schools will be selecting only the 4.0+ 1600/36 applicants who founded start-ups, published research, medaled in the olympics, etc. who somehow didn’t get into T10-20 schools.

Should I mentally prepare to attend one of the 2 likely colleges I was admitted to, and assume none of the 8+ remaining T20-50 will extend an RD offer?

3 Likes

The schools that have both ED and EA do make it tough. I think at least some of your schools listed have just ED and RD. Mine is applying to William and Mary, and they have ED1, ED2, and RD. They took about 44% in the early rounds, so that leaves a good bit of the class for RD. See if you can find stats for your schools that tell you their early admit rates. That may help. Good luck to you!

4 Likes

Thanks. I took all of the advice I was given, even applied ED1 to one of these schools and was deferred. I like all of the schools on my list, but some better than others. Was hoping for good news from at least one of the others.

2 Likes

Hopefully you only applied to schools that you would be happy enough to attend. My son has one acceptance and one rejection so far. He’s hoping for acceptances on a couple of the others, but will be happy to go to the school that has admitted him if that’s how it ends up. All schools are so competitive now, and it is tough to not get in to the one you really hope for. But I’m betting all the schools on your list have things that will make you love them. Don’t get too worried about not getting into the one you love the best right now. Figure out the one you love the best from the admissions that you do receive.

6 Likes

I hear you. We think EA means “apply early…hear sometime in March!” I wish schools would own this rather than pretending that they do EA in any large numbers.

That said, I recommend not being caught up in the “top whatever” school mindset. Think about the likely admits and find what you really like about them, too. One of those could end up being the best choice—course offerings, financially, socially, etc. Rankings continue to matter but they really shouldn’t. You’re the consumer: you get to choose, even if it sometimes feels like you don’t. Good luck!

7 Likes

Re-frame the perspective this way: you are your own top value.

No school is perfect, but yes, when applying, some will feel “more right” than others. Try your best to let that feeling go. Admissions are a complete crapshoot.

Your time is best spent researching any colleges you are admitted to as the decisions come in - especially the ultimate financial packages offered. Be pro-active about getting a sense of what it would be like where you have acceptances (keeps your mind from ruminating on the unknowns for now).

What will be the most affordable option? (Financial packages, travel to-from home, etc.)

What will be the most optimal campus experience? (Classes that suit your learning style best, great social experience, productive clubs, etc.)

Whatever school you attend, make it fit you best.

2 Likes

We hear you 100%! My daughter is in same boat. Praying all the hard workers out there without “hooks” (I hate that term/concept!) find a school who loves them that they’ll love back!

3 Likes

Yes. If you get an offer from a college more desirable than your likely or safety colleges, that can then be a pleasant surprise.

6 Likes

This is exactly right. If you have two offers from colleges you like, would be happy to attend, and can afford, you have already won, no matter what happens from here on out. If something else does happen to come through, that’s just icing on the cake. Take those acceptances as a win, even if they are not “big name” schools. They are schools that want you to be there, and hopefully schools where you might want to be.

7 Likes

By now, I am sure that you’re familiar with the unpredictability of the process so I would say, yes, be prepare and be HAPPY to attend one of the colleges that admit you.

Remember, if you don’t go to T20-T50 schools, that doesn’t mean that you are not good enough. If you apply to those schools, I assume you feel you have a chance to be admitted and therefore, you are qualified enough. We don’t know what the AOs want to see in applicant. Sometimes, it’s just the make up of the entire class that ends up deciding everything.

it is you who can decide the joy of going to certain college. Not the rankings, not your parents, not your friends, etc. So if you come with a great attitude, you’ll have great experience wherever you go.

6 Likes

Double down on exploring the schools you have been admitted to.

Did you get accepted into an honors programs or your first choice major? Go to their accepted student days. Don’t miss housing windows or chances to apply for scholarships or special programs.By the time the others get around to you you may think twice about that option.

3 Likes

The OP is either sharing an account or posing as more than a single individual. Closing thread.

1 Like