"so surprising that you could sell what you did in HS years earlier" (for college graduates who had top-level merit scholarships)

In another thread…

Not sure if that is all that surprising when you think about it. The name of your college is a reflection of what your achievements were in high school in addition to your parents’ (typically financial) support (or lack thereof) for you going to college. But it does mean that employers who hire by college prestige are effectively including high school achievements (and parental support) in their hiring criteria. The same applies to those who hire with preference to those who won top-level merit scholarships as high school students.

2 Likes

Not surprising. Malala won the Nobel Prize while in high school. Bet it is still on her resume.

THAT I would look at on a resume! :grin:

Perhaps that is another source of stress for high school students – what they do in high school can become a permanent mark in the form of college or scholarship name that follows them forever in life, if they go into a line of work where that is a significant consideration in employment.

1 Like

Given the people’s tweets and digital records are resurfacing many years after occurring and having consequences, that is a reasonable concern. Didn’t a Vogue editor have to resign due to her tweets as a teen?

I was at an interview for a job and the interviewer and his boss indicated that they could tell from my resume that I thought outside of the box. I asked them their reasoning. Turns out, the fact that I went out-of-state for college showed my out-of-the-box thinking. And yes, this is in a state that retains very large numbers of its residents. Having a Big Name College on your resume is not necessary to have your high school decisions impact your professional movements. (Yes, I got the job.)

3 Likes

Of course, many students stay in-state for college because of parental limitations (usually financial). So they would not be able to show out-of-the-box thinking that this employer wanted to see.

1 Like

Me too. But sometimes the distance one must go to find an example says something about the strength of the argument.

About 10% of incoming students at W&L receive the Johnson Scholarship. It’s great for them, but it is no Nobel Peace Prize.

Never claimed it was. It is still an accomplishment, and I am told it has a tight alumni group which offers excellent opportunities to current Johnson kids, as one would expect.

That was my thought all along. I guess, know your field. I’m in publishing and attending a high- profile college will not get you an automatic job. Your clips/experiences from your college years will be key. A Northwestern grad does not have an advantage if they can only point to HS experiences. Bottom line: Make something of the opportunities wherever you land.

2 Likes

No one said anything about automatic jobs. It will, however, get an interview some places not otherwise attainable and it might provide entry to internships and other events in college, which further polish that resume .Just like being state high school tennis champion or a talent search winner might.