So....who has had a covid vaccine?

This thread is not meant to frighten people or make people feel badly if they live far from loved ones.

The side effects vary from none to some to a lot.

Maybe as the vaccine continues to roll out, reach out to neighbors and relatives who don’t live with others to see if you can help them in any way…make the appointment, arrange transportation, provide meals, check in with them after the shot is administered.

I know there is a pandemic, but we need to help others as we navigate this vaccine process.

7 Likes

I wonder if those who have had covid already get worse side affects.

1 Like

My family members who have had Covid are being told to wait 3 to 6 months before getting the vaccine. I have wondered if this is only due to presumed antibodies or has something to do with the side effect issue. And I presume some asymptomatic positive people are getting the vaccine. Wonder how they are faring.

1 Like

Probably many of them never knew that they had asymptomatic infections before getting the vaccine.

Yes. I think it was my over-reactive immune response, since I had COVID 7 months ago. My colleague just received his second Pfizer vaccine three days ago. He had the exact same symptoms as me (chills, fatigue, body aches, headache, loss of appetite, and joint pain). It lasted about a little less than 48 hours. His symptoms were similar to my symptoms after I got my first Moderna shot. After a day to think about it, I am still getting my second Moderna shot. Everyone should get vaccinated. Do it for your family, friends, and each other.

9 Likes

Ever since I got my appointment, I have told everyone I encountered, like supermarket and drugstore employees, car rental employees, etc. and told them I hoped they would be eligible soon and urged them to go for it. This is the beginning of the end, the light at the end of the tunnel, etc., etc., etc. (any more cliches?)

From these reports, I guess I have to prepare for the possibility of a bigger reaction to the second Moderna injection. No more plans to rent a car and drive 200 (round trip) miles right after to have dinner with my daughter, I guess. Boo-hoo!

4 Likes

I wonder if those who experience more side effects are those who would have had worse cases with the real virus. Since the vaccines are made to mimic the virus and that’s how the body responds, would it have done the same (and worse) with the real thing?

I wonder if there’s any way to know.

4 Likes

Interesting question… My D had covid in February with high fever, severe headache, body aches and general fatigue. She felt horrible for about a week but, thankfully, has had no further complications.
When she received her first dose of the Moderna vaccine, she had the same symptoms, though lasting only a day and with a much lower fever…

2 Likes

D had her second dose (Pfizer) this morning. She has been fine so far. I know it is probably too early to tell, but we are keeping our fingers crossed. SIL will be home until morning and I will be ready to head over early, if needed. As far as we know, she has not had Covid, which is a small miracle. She has taken care of so many very sick Covid patients over the last ten months.

1 Like

This is what I read about side effects:

Side effects are more common after the second dose; younger adults, who have more robust immune systems, reported more side effects than older adults.

To be clear: These side effects are a sign of an immune system kicking into gear. They do not signal that the vaccine is unsafe.

Fingers crossed that older people may not get it as bad.

6 Likes

not sure where this should go. Data out of israel about the vaccine. Even after first dose, you can get pretty sick initially

also side affects.

Doesn’t tell us much though about whether just one dose can be fairly effective. Like every vaccine not effective immediately and data suggests one dose is very helpful after just a few weeks. “After two weeks, the number of positive cases of coronavirus among those vaccinated decreases.” Moreover since hospitalization trails infection by weeks there is likelihood that many were exposed even prior to first dose.

D had a couple hours of pretty bad chills last night and went to sleep in a sweatsuit. She woke up later feeling really hot and super achy. She is still feeling achy right now but not as bad as overnight. Temp 99.4. She says she is ‘okay’ and it ‘could be worse’.

@oldfort, I’ll keep my fingers crossed, too.

1 Like

Do people take motrin/tylenol at the time they get the vaccine?

" Taking over-the-counter medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen before receiving a vaccine may reduce its ability to work and blunt your immune response to the vaccine ."

The medical advice I have heard/received (I work with a team of doctors) is that if you must take anything, take Tylenol. Ibuprofen is not widely recommended.

5 Likes

I received my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine early yesterday morning, so approximately 30 hours ago. So far, I feel fine. My arm is a little sore, about the same as with the first dose. My arm has hurt worse with a few flu shots. I was very tired yesterday but I am not sure that I can blame the vaccine. No fever, aches, or chills.
My ex-husband received his second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday. He started having aches and a fever 16 hours after getting the vaccine. He is fine today.
My sister received her first dose of the moderna vaccine
yesterday. She had COVID back in June. She started running a fever during the night, along with body aches and a headache.

3 Likes

I had my second Pfizer shot two days ago. (Super sore arm with mild swelling after first shot.) FWIW, my shoulder was less sore than the first time. I confess I’m tired today, but worked a half day without issue. Due to vaccine? Eh? Anyway, I wanted to chime in and say not everyone has more severe responses after the second shot. I’m <50 and have no issues that should be blunting my immune response.

5 Likes

Is there any correlation with bad Covid vaccine & bad Shigrex vaccine reactions?

I’m in my 50’s and got my second Pyzer vaccine yesterday 24 hours later I felt like I was hit by a truck, fever, chills, muscle and joint aches. But this only lasted 8-9 hours and I now feel fine.

6 Likes

Keep in mind that depending where you are in line you are going to hear/read reactions that run the gamut.

Do yourself a favor and direct any questions you might have regarding a special medical condition you have and the vaccine to your doctor. Otherwise besides being physically aware your best prep might be to stock the house with some easy food, hydrating beverages, Tylenol AND if possible keep your schedule as simple as possible for 24-36 hours after your appointment.

3 Likes