So....who has had a covid vaccine?

Following up on my post from above, where D19’s friend’s dad is an admin at a hospital where many HCWs and staff declined covid vaccines. From there the hospital opened up vaccines to employee’s spouses. Then…D19’s college soph friend (healthy, no risk factors) was vaccinated at the hospital the other day.

This really isn’t a screw up, just a hospital needing to use their allocation of vaccines. But far from logical, or fair. But, life’s not fair, right?

1 Like

@Mwfan1921 I understand that you are just the messenger. But it seems so unbelievable that so many hospital personnel turned down their rightful place in line for a vaccine that well connected administrators had no other options than offering the vaccine to their wives and children. I would love to know the entire story.

2 Likes

@deb922 I feel the same disbelief. I keep asking d19 for updates, and will pass any along.

I do think using the vaccines they have is the right thing to do, but I don’t think this hospital should get the same allocation next week, and the week after. I have zero confidence any state, or anyone for that matter, is going to be able to manage these types of details.

If this hospital does get another delivery of vaccine they can’t distribute to only Tier 1 people, I may go there myself and get vaccinated.

I posted something this morning, but now I can’t find it. I said if I was responsible for distributing vaccines, I wouldn’t send any vaccines until I got a plan from the organization on who/where/how they were going to administer the vaccines.
Someone posted that their hospital was having a meeting to decide who should get the vaccines first. I was a bit surprised by that. We all knew the vaccines were getting shipped few weeks ago. Why they didn’t a plan in place is beyond me.

8 Likes

Perhaps the hospital is just taking care of its own first, even though there may be nearby outsiders (e.g. paramedics, small practice physicians, dentists, etc.) who should be higher on the priority list than hospital administrators or family members of employees who are not at increased risk due to in-person contact frequency.

Given the competitive nature of US society, perhaps it is not surprising that unfairness or the perception of unfairness will occur in any scarcity situation, and deep grievances result.

2 Likes

Your comments and the comment you addressed were deleted

What do you think of the comments that a person could get the two vaccines and still should wear a mask as they could still be a carrier? Does this mean it just has not been tested? Or does this mean that the vaccinated person is able to protect from symptoms, but is still thought to shed virus?

We don’t know the answer to this because we don’t have the data. Until we know if a vaccinated person can spread the virus (if and when exposed) we will have to still wear masks and distance.

1 Like

Sorry about your sister in law but I appreciate the head’s up. I was getting my shingles vaccination and the doctor said that I need a tetanus booster this year. I will have to watch and be careful not to schedule it to close to whenever I can get the covid vaccination. Thanks and I hope your sister in law recovers quickly!

1 Like

It is currently unknown whether the vaccine prevents or reduces asymptomatic transmission, because that has not yet been checked in the vaccine trials.

The following page may be helpful in explaining the uncertainty.

2 Likes

My firefighter/EMT son got his first vaccine today (Connecticut).

9 Likes

I am a pharmacist working at a covid surge alternate care site. We were open May thru September and then had to reopen early in December. We evidently are on a list to be vaccinated, but no date/time has been established yet. Hopefully soon!

4 Likes

Today in Colorado they revised the priority groups, moving seniors over 70 into the 1B group, and sorta moving grocery workers and teachers up too. But then the next info given by the newscasters is “but we don’t know when we’ll get to 1B group.” Great, my mother is now in the next group not to get it right now!

I also saw that those over 75 are to get it from the Kroger/Safeway pharmacies in Summit County (a mountain county with Keystone, Copper and a few other ski areas in it). Still don’t know how they will give the vaccines and then observe the patient for 15-20 minutes while still running the pharmacy. This would cause a major traffic jam at the pharmacy I use, that has a room for vaccines with about 8 chairs NOT spaced 6’ apart in it.

I really think they need to set up areas like the convention center, that was to be used as a make shift hospital for covid but never was, as a vaccination center for the next 6 months. It’s not like they are having conventions.

2 Likes

The doctor at the clinic where I work was also concerned with how we would have room for patients to wait 30 minutes after their vaccine. We are an allergy clinic, so deal with patients with asthma and allergies. Assuming we actual get the vaccines applied for, the thought is to set up a vaccine clinic on the weekends when we are not opened. This way were would have waiting room and exam rooms available. I guess we just wait and see if we are approved to receive vaccines.

1 Like

Just got word that my mom in assisted living will get her first vaccination on Monday. So thankful!

12 Likes

My HCP kid gets their first injection tomorrow

4 Likes

SIL will get his first vaccination before sunrise tomorrow (now today).

4 Likes

Exactly. I watched the governor of a state (not my state) at a presser. The questions from the press focused on hospitals not following the prioritiy lists. The reporters wanted to know what would happen to those hospitals that vaccinated people not on the 1A list. The head of the state’s health department said they would call hospitals and remind them of the priority lists. That’s it – no teeth and no enforcement. So expect this unfairness to continue.

They also said, though, that the hospital groups would be encouraged to share their excess vaccine with others in the priority group outside of their hospital system. I wonder how much of that will happen.

I also wonder if the UK variant, which is 56% more transmissible, will cause any further reworking of the priority groups. I don’t think it’s right that older people (not yet 75) have to wait behind younger, healthier workers. Not everyone over 60 is retired and can stay isolated in their home. We are the ones most at risk. I wish my state WAS one of the ones who is not following the CDC recommendations to place under 75 year-olds further back in the pack. Thanks a lot, CDC.

1 Like

If vaccinated people didn’t have to wear a mask, then there would be far fewer people wearing a mask. So many anti-maskers would just claim they had been vaccinated. There would be an automatic relaxing of masking and social distancing. Yes, I believe this would happen. If nothing else, this pandemic has demonstrated the selfishness and entitlement of many in the U.S.

12 Likes

I received my first Shingrix shot on Nov 18, so I can get the second one on or after January 18. But I’m wondering if when I get the covid shot should influence when I get the Shingrix shot – it makes sense to me to keep them at least two weeks apart. The problem is, I really have no idea when I"m going to get the covid shot.