Some more admissions questions

<p>Everyone will be so thrilled to read another one of these, I'm sure!</p>

<p>Anyway, my question has to do with someone's intended study path. I just saw a comment on here that explained how grade trends are important to the admissions officers because they show positive study habits that could produce success in the UW atmosphere. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this world who isn't crazy about math and science, and I usually pull off a B or the rare C in an advanced math or science class, so I think that would make my study habits appear less impressive (which is true, I don't really care about math) compared to someone in AP Stats, Physics, or Calc. But my grades in other classes have been a different story--I had an A in AP US History both semesters last year (4 on the exam), have had an A in an honors English class every semester since the first semester of freshman year, and have showed improvement and dedication to my Spanish classes, which I declared as my intended major. </p>

<p>So with that semi-bragging, I have this question: if the admissions officers at <i>any</i> university, specifically Madison, are able to see that someone has an obvious preference for a specific course of study and they have succeeded in that study in high school, will that be considered as a reflection of the positive study skills mentioned earlier or will it signal a student that is not prepared for challenging courses in the required curriculum (classes such as 100 level Bio classes, Stats, Calc, etc...) ? I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I tried to craft my application so that the Red Gym would see my love for language and the social sciences and my...well...less enthusiastic attitude (but appreciative!) attitude towards math and science. </p>

<p>I have other questions, but since I don't want to bombard anyone, I'll ask them later.</p>

<p>Don't worry about that which you can't change, such as past grades. An improving gpa means they won't just look at the average including, for example, poor freshman grades but will notice the trend of better grades. I'm sure they will notice the courses taken and grades. Do not spend time agonizing over things, trying to second guess how they will view your application. Of course every school knows it will have math/science whizzes and the opposites who will major in humanities so you don't need to worry about not being best in everything.</p>

<p>The short answer- do the applications, then forget them and let the admissions people make their decisions. Spend your time on something more fun than agonizing over possibilities.</p>

<p>I sure do disagree with you at times, wis75. That, however, was quite possibly some of the best advice I have ever seen on here.</p>

<p>Nice. And good luck, rraines.</p>