Somebody give me a dinner idea for move-in

<p>I do love a good veggie burger, so I will try it! As I remember, the fries were pretty fabulous.</p>

<p>Sinner: HaHa, yes, Mugshots is very popular and has a big following, but not my favorite. I have to admit that I am a “foodie” and will travel to NOLA almost everytime I am in T-Town just to get some Beignets and coffee, a po’boy, or grilled oysters. What can I say? :)</p>

<p>For
graduation weekend we ventured Up Watermelon Road To Tin Top. It Was Excellent. Drink Specials And Wait Staff Excellent. We Did Get There Early And ThereE Was Quite A Line When We Left. Sorry About All Thd Capitals… Phone Has Own Mind!</p>

<p>What’s tin top?</p>

<p>Sorry Tin Top Restaurant & Oyster Bar is on Rice Mine. It has seafood and a very good menu. I think I had the Prime rib special (Fridays). Ds friend had a Crawfish Etouffe and thought it was very well done. D had Seafood alfredo and DH had Pan Seared Tuna. </p>

<p>For appetizers we had Fried Green tomatoes and seafood stuffed Mushrooms. Just a bit out of the way but worth the drive.</p>

<p>When we were up for Bama bound we discovered Iguana Grill and we are looking forward to eating there Friday!!</p>

<p>Glad to hear a good review (recent) for Iguana Grill. </p>

<p>Mr Chens is gaining in popularity and there is an Asian Market attached to the restaurant for anyone who likes to cook.</p>

<p>I really like Eidelweiss German Bakery for a light lunch or to order a Birthday cake. Just a note that the cakes are European Style, so they are not American Bakery sweet, but that is the style we are used to.</p>

<p>Broadway Pizza over on Rice Mine Road is close to NY style. They deliver but not to campus.</p>

<p>If you want some very good coffee, go to Chloe’s Cup. It’s on University, but Downtown…It’s closed on Sundays (at least in the summer, it is). </p>

<p>Broadway Pizza is very good. The Manhattan is our fave.</p>

<p>As to Mexican food… I have to second M2CK’s recommendation of “Los Tarascos” on Skyland Blvd (just east of McFarland on Skyland). </p>

<p>We ate there Saturday night with friends who are vegan. While I’m no food critic and the restaurant is in a sketchy looking strip mall we all would definitely go back there again for Mexican food. Reasonably priced with generous portions; the fajita portions were more huge.</p>

<p>Yes, Los Tarascos is in a sketchy looking old strip mall, but once you’re inside it’s rather typical looking Mexican restaurant. </p>

<p>The fajitas are quite good.</p>

<p>the strip mall is immediately east of Wal-Mart.</p>

<p>Surin of Thailand was awesome. Nick and Joe’s was delicious but very small portions. My DW loved the mojitos. The creator of Waffle House is my new idol. Best 2am sausage, egg, and cheese on a biscuit I’ve ever had even for a greasy spoon. The Patty melt was delicious as well. Blueberry waffles heaven.</p>

<p>I just had to post our experience at Nicks and the Sticks. We went there post move-in and all ordered the filets. They were great and the experience was as good as we remembered it from years ago. It is a pain to wait outside, but the filets were worth it!</p>

<p>We also had a memorable breakfast at the Waysider (biscuits to die for!) and a great lunch at City Cafe (meat and 3 veggies for under $7) in Northport.</p>

<p>We figured we’d hit all the old haunts that are places he cannot walk to.</p>

<p>Also tried Full Moon for the first time. Great ambiance and lots of cool BAMA pictures and news clippings. Food was great.</p>

<p>I’d weigh 500 lbs. if I lived in Tuscaloosa!!</p>

<p>Slippy, where are you going to dinner?</p>

<p>SpaceCoastMom, my DS said the same thing, she’d be 500 lbs if we lived in Tuscaloosa. Also Another Broken Egg cafe was very good. Great poached eggs and biscuits and sausage gravy. Also they had these little powered “beitehs or something”. Delish.</p>

<p>Also they had these little powered “beitehs or something”. Delish.</p>

<p>Love Another Broken Egg… love their Eggs Benedict. </p>

<p>The powdered things are called: beignets (these are actually smaller versions of the NOLA famous ones)</p>

<p>Looks like we’ll be dining at Surin (again). Not too many places take reservations, even for large groups. I suspect I’ll have 6-8 people. Was able to make a reservation there.</p>

<p>btw, I’m not complaining… I love that place. LOVE me some Thai food.</p>

<p>“The powdered things are called: beignets”</p>

<p>((shakin’ my head))</p>

<p>Some folks have led deprived lives.</p>

<p>6-8 isn’t a particularly large group.</p>

<p>try tazikis. i think you could get a table for 6-8.</p>

<p>The fish at Taziki’s is surprisingly good.</p>

<p>When we were in town for Bama Bound last month, we went to the Cypress Inn. It was very nice, with a lovely view. Our waiter couldn’t have been friendlier. The food was pretty good, but not as top of the line as I expected. We’re going to try the Sitar’s buffet this coming weekend. And of course, go out for drinks once DS is settled into his dorm on Sunday.</p>