Sorority dues debunked

<p>Almostlimitless…when you get 15 posts PM me. I am from chicago and my D had a very successful recruitment last year. We only knew one person in a sorority and that was her older sister! lol We were CLUELESS and aphimommy held my hand every step of the way!!</p>

<p>There are two local panhellenic’s that will write rec’s for you. I can give you the contact information as it depends on where you live which one will work for you. They were a lifesaver for us. Also using Aphimommy’s advice we told everyone we knew we needed rec’s and it was amazing how many friends we had who had mom’s or sisters in Greek. It was a little crazy, but we had 2 rec’s from every house on campus.</p>

<p>As far as grades, D has a 3.96 gpa right now and is in two honors society’s. She is double majoring and is in both the Honors college and International Honors College. She is part of several organizations as well and very involved in Greek life. The sororities have many ways that they encourage and help you get good grades. Mandatory study hours for new members is one. They also do events that pair you with an older girl in the same major. Old tests are on file. You are excused from events for academic reasons. Etc. </p>

<p>As a mom who had no Greek experience at all, I can relate to what your mom may think. I had a hard time justifying the cost when we were first talking about it. I can tell you that after a year I am absolutely confident that every penny we have paid for D’s sorority is well worth it. (well except for the 100 T-shirts!) She has experienced so much. From learning great manners and interview skills during formal Sunday meal, to going to Nicaragua with Alabama Greek Missions to build a house for a needy family funded by the Greek system. She learned to balance her social life w/ her academic life and has had the time of her life at homecoming and date parties. Being involved in her house gave her a place where she could walk into anytime day or nigh and feel at home. For this I am grateful.</p>

<p>Please feel free to PM me, I am more than happy to help w/ the local stuff in Chicago. hope this helps.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Ok…help please : )…can you tell me what this means? </p>

<p>Finding and securing recs is time consuming if you do not have Greek ties</p>

<p>Yes, finding and securing recs is time consuming. Consider the challenge as a test of organizational skills, commitment level, and ability to network. Finding recs can also be a team sport and family bonding experience!</p>

<p>Does anyone know approximately what percentage of this year’s freshman class has joined a social sorority/fraternity? Just curious.</p>

<p>If you know no one who is a member of a Greek-letter sorority (and even if you do!), it will take time to find an alumna of each of the 16-17 NPC sororities on Alabama’s campus that require a recommendation in order to pledge. But that person does not have to be your relative! Keep track of who you do find - name, name of their sorority, a phone number and/or e-mail to reach them. Ask that person if they know other people in other sororities and keep track of that info.
Ask your relatives, friends, co-workers, people at church, at your gym and so on. Even ask men - they may have wives, sisters, mothers, daughter who are sorority alumnae. </p>

<p>With 350 girls in each chapter, we find gift-giving to be a size able expense. Come up with a plan…or you will be shocked.</p>

<p>Haven’t read the whole thread but the bridesmaid comment really stings. I got married right after college and not only did my sisters not want to be bridesmaids, but they didn’t even respond to my wedding invitations! I didn’t want a gift, but would have been nice to have been acknowledged. Just don’t get your expectations too high, ladies. It is, indeed, a business and many treat it only as that.</p>