Sorority

I’m interested in joining Greek Life next year and rushing a sorority. I’m curious what are considered “good” houses and how expensive housing is compared to dorms? What is about a yearly estimate including dues and other costs? Thanks!

Costs of living in a sorority is pretty much comperable to the dorms like Earhart, Shreve, McCutcheon, and Harrison. New member dues are pretty steep. I heard at some houses they’re around $2,000 but some houses are like $500. As for “good” houses, thats subjective. Go into Rush with an open mind, and you’ll end up where you’re meant to be. I’m in a low tier house, and a girl in that joined last year preffed at top houses but didn’t really like the feel there and dropped and joined my house during informal recruitment. Additionally, my cousin got rejected from her top choice house and then ended up going on to being president of her sorority so the system really works.

@naturaldistaster‌
are new member dues only paid once? How much do things like t-shirts and “social” dues end up costing? What other dues do freshmen usually pay? Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Also, are recs very important at purdue?

New member dues are only paid first semester. They’re combined with social dues and out of house fees that first semester. It pays for your pledge pin and membership pin as well as I think there’s an extra cost to being a new panhell member and new in your actual chapter’s national organization. As well as, if there’s like a pledge class retreat or anything like that, basically it covers anything that the sorority covers during your pledge ship. And it also includes out of house fees which usually entitles you to 1 meal/week at the house and basically helps pay the utilities and mortgage and just gives you rights to use the house to hang out in.

After your first semester, you pay the social and out of house fees. That’s less than the first semester. And in a lot of houses, the dues include tickets to formals, some shirts, etc. Other houses have lower dues and you can choose to buy shirts and dance tickets as you wish.