Sorry 2013 National Merit Finalists

<p>Alabama was not in the picture when my son (who graduated in May) was looking at school. He knew that he would have the numbers to be a NMF, but truthfully, he dreamed of Ivy, MIT and Duke. Then, the economy tanked, and we told him he had to select one, NM offer as a backup. He had lots of offers, but chose Alabama because it was the closest school to our Virginia home. Things did not work out with the Ivies and Duke (got waitlisted three times). He also got some excellent offers from other schools, but he took the one from Alabama. He graduated without debt, did research, traveled all over the world, won a prestigious scholarship and met some awesome people, including malanai, who was kind enough to pick him up at his Honolulu hotel last summer, take him to lunch and give him a tour of Hawaii, RobD, who dropped him at the airport while en route to her home, and Montegut’s and Robotbldmom’s sons from CBHP (He also met their parents).</p>

<p>Was everything perfect for him at Alabama? No. But without the NM offer, he would have graduated with big debt. Sure, he probably wishes that he got that fifth year, too, because he would have added a masters degree and another major or minor. But the school has so many positives, and yes, they outweigh the negatives.</p>

<p>His younger brother will not be a NMF. Still, he loves Alabama, and he has the school listed No. 1 among his choices. Whether or not he lands in T-Town remains to be seen. He may have other schools that he likes, too. </p>

<p>But, the fact that his older brother had so many positives experiences while there is a big reason why he hopes to say, “Roll Tide,” next fall.</p>

<p>I think that some here are missing an important realization. UA alumni and supporters are eager to continue to fund scholarships to raise UA’s prestige and to offer greater opportunities for her future students. There is a wave of enthusiasm at this school not found at most others. Given the economic problems of this time and the shortfalls in state spending on state schools, what is happening at UA is truly amazing. Maybe UA is taking advantage of sticker shock at other schools to lure potential students its way. It doesn’t matter. The reality is that this school, its alumni, and its supporters are extremely passionate about pushing UA to new heights. That is something not all schools can claim.</p>

<p>This is an older article but I remember reading it and thinking that this university community cares about its students:</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama News » UA?s ?Our Students. Our Future.? Campaign Reaches Milestone, Presses Forward to Meet Scholarship Needs](<a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/2008/07/uas-our-students-our-future-campaign-reaches-milestone-presses-forward-to-meet-scholarship-needs/]University”>http://uanews.ua.edu/2008/07/uas-our-students-our-future-campaign-reaches-milestone-presses-forward-to-meet-scholarship-needs/)</p>

<p>UA’s “Our Students. Our Future.” Campaign Reaches Milestone, Presses Forward to Meet Scholarship Needs
July 17, 2008 - Filed under: Announcements, Highlights | Tagged: Giving, Scholarship
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –The University of Alabama announced today that it has raised $512 million in its “Our Students. Our Future.” capital campaign.</p>

<p>A top priority for the campaign, which will conclude in June 2009, is $250 million for scholarships.</p>

<p>“This campaign’s success is a result of our focused intensity on campaign goals and a shared vision for the University’s future,” said UA President Robert E. Witt.</p>

<p>“We made a commitment to bring the best and brightest students to this University and, with today’s slowing economy, scholarship support becomes even more critical in our ability to honor that commitment. We’re going to continue our momentum as we move into the last year of the campaign.”</p>

<p>According to Carl Jones, campaign co-chair, achieving this mark raises the bar for the coming months. “The amazing dedication and support of donors, alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends led us to this milestone,” he said, “and will inspire us to work towards an exceptionally strong finish for the campaign next year.”</p>

<p>The campaign has received gifts from 102,274 donors and 108 gifts of $1 million or more. University of Alabama faculty and staff have given or pledged more than $7.5 million.</p>

<p>The “Our Students. Our Future.” campaign’s $500 million goal includes $250 million for student scholarships. The remaining funds are allocated to faculty support, facilities and priority needs. The campaign has raised more than $512 million since 2002.</p>

<p>I skipped the PSAT because I thought I was too dumb to get a good score. Then I took the SAT and got a 2190. #regrets</p>

<p>The sub-par GC’s at my son’s school told the kids that the PSAT was just a practice test and not to get stressed out about it. My son ‘heard’, “this test won’t count for anything so you can just blow it off”. We didn’t know any better as he is our first child - I don’t think I had ever heard of NMF. I’m pretty sure that with a conscientious effort he would have had a good shot at making the cutoff.</p>

<p>Just asking, what exactly are the parents/students of 2013 NMF’s that are unhappy expecting from UA? What are you hoping to achieve? Just curious. I do find it nice to know they actually responded even if the reply was not what one wanted to hear. Far better than I’m sure many businesses would do if questioned about their business practices.</p>

<p>@TxNewCollegeMom: I’m sure I will get blasted for this but…</p>

<p>I think next year the 2013 and 2014 students should receive the same stipend. Simple.</p>

<p>The extra two semesters of tuition for those who choose to use it ( for graduate work or to pay for a semester abroad) would seem to advance the school’s goal of improving the Graduate school Programs.</p>

<p>“I think next year the 2013 and 2014 students should receive the same stipend. Simple.”</p>

<p>Not blasting anyone, but I’m fairly certain no one would feel the same if the scholarship offer went down for 2014-2015. We’re each entitled to our opinions, but no one is entitled to receive additional scholarship benefits because someone else received a package which offers additional perks in previous or following years. That would be a disaster in the making.</p>

<p>If UA were to award the 2013 students the extras that weren’t available for their scholarship year ($2,000 a year stipend and two more semesters of tuition), then they would probably worry that the 2011 and 2012 students would want the extra two semesters of tuition added on to their scholarships as well.</p>

<p>I think it would be great if they could make the offer of two extra semesters of tuition available to everyone on campus with an active NMF/Academic Elite/Crimson scholarship. I don’t expect them to do that at all, but it would definitely be a “WOW! How wonderful!” moment. </p>

<p>For now, we’ll just be thankful for the Crimson Scholarship DD received in 2011. It’s making it possible for her to graduate debt-free and hopefully have a semester in Australia in the spring. Just as we’re thankful for all the research opportunities she’s been afforded at UA, with the possibility of heading up a project this fall (junior year).</p>

<p>UA was the only school she would apply to, even when the only thing we were sure of was that she’d get the Presidential as she’d missed the NMF cutoff. It’s been fabulous, including a trip to the championship game with the Million Dollar Band her freshman year and a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy with the band that spring. So many opportunities she likely wouldn’t have had at any other school.</p>

<p>@bamagirls: You can be absolutely certain of that because it did go down from 2012 to 2013 and no one advocated for removing the housing portion from the upperclassmen.</p>

<p>As others have said, the merit scholarships are a way to get top students to look at UA and hopefully choose UA based on the total college experience. There have been times when I, other posters, and even some people at UA have actively discouraged students from attending UA just for the money.</p>

<p>I am extremely grateful to UA for providing me with a Presidential scholarship which made going to a far away college affordable and allowed me to graduate debt free. I would have loved to attend UA without the scholarship money, but that wouldn’t have been feasible. I would have likely attended my state flagship or highly-ranked directional university and graduated after 2 years at age 20. The extra 2 years of schooling at UA did wonders for me in terms of career preparation, maturity, and getting to experience life outside of my home region. </p>

<p>Note too that since costs increase every year, staying a 5th year might be prohibitively expensive. Montegut pointed out that many students already want to graduate in 3 years, but stay for their 4th year because it’s “free.” I could have graduated with both a master’s and bachelor’s degree in 3 years, 3.5 years on the path I ultimately chose, but chose to spend a semester further exploring my educational interests, including branching out to civil engineering. Despite many people thinking that I would stay for a PhD, I decided that while I was still on excellent terms with UA, it was time for me to bow out and play my hand at a different table, so to speak. </p>

<p>In short, I hope everyone is grateful for the scholarships they did receive and trust that they will use my and other donors’ money wisely. We hope you leave UA as kind, educated members of the Alabama family who work hard at making the world a better place for everyone. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>gstudent,</p>

<p>No, but the same complaints were lodged at that time even though NMF had not been named for this year’s entering freshman class at the time the scholarship was announced with the change to one year of housing. Like I said, I understand disappointment, but this is simply whining and a lack of gratitude for what is still a generous scholarship.</p>

<p>I agree with Txarchitect on improving the grad programs.</p>

<p>Most grad schools depend on international students to take up 50% or more seats. In many cases they are giving them tuition waivers to attract them and in some departments they are funded to do research or be TAs which means it is actually more expensive to get a grad student. So if UA can keep some of these kids around longer, it might actually be cheaper for grad programs to retain the readily available than recruit new.</p>

<p>The old argument that the potential NMFs weren’t “official” yet presumes their PSAT scores were “borderline” for their state’s historical cutoff.</p>

<p>I assure you, there were potential NMFs making college decisions during the summer of 2012 with PSAT scores in hand that exceeded the historic cut offs for every state in the union and the boarding/international students, as well.</p>

<p>At least five of them were in DD’s class and none had disciplinary issues, nor grades lower than a B, and they were Blessed with a supportive faculty who met every administrative hurdle NMCORP imposed. These kids were going to be NMFs.</p>

<p>^^Great, but the argument that something had been taken away from them was simply not true. The fact is, at the time the scholarship change was announced they were NOT NMF. Change happens, that’s life.</p>

<p>@bamagirls: Its not whining or lack of gratitude. Read all of my posts please.</p>

<p>I’m expressing my concern that I have built up an unrealistic view of UA based on our experience to date. This is the first time I have had anything tangibly negative to attach these concerns to.</p>

<p>Please understand. My daughter started this journey with an indifference to any school that was not in South Bend, a complete aversion to southern accents, her absolute love of wonderful BIG metropolitan cities, and wariness of over-enthusiastic people (despite what you find in a certain northern Indiana town). She now wears a lot of Bama gear, greets her friends with Roll Tide, and screams with joy when she hears a certain guitar riff.</p>

<p>gstudent… nothing has changed for your daughter (you said she didnt know)…so she will be happy (or not) based on her experiences at ua. you may struggle for a bit apparently, but maybe when she calls you full of excitement, you’ll feel better… most kids will have some ups and downs in freshman year so dont be surprised if you get some tearful homesick calls too</p>

<p>@parent56: All true, but I can still be irritated that I am missing out on $7500 that could be used towards her younger siblings - who I am certain will NOT be NMF.</p>

<p>This is not my first kid off to college. Her older brother (also NMF) is at a different school and had a somewhat similar situation and adjustments were made to his benefit
.</p>

<p>With respect to improving UA Graduate Programs, any scholarship money that UA has would be far better spent on students who have proven themselves in their undergrad years rather than tossing the money at some high school grads in order to placate a few parents with an overblown sense of entitlement. </p>

<p>gstudent99, that you view the NMF scholarship offer to the 2014 students as a “tangible negative” to the wonderful offer your daughter received is indeed a lack of gratitude. As for an unrealistic view of UA, you may indeed have one if you think for a second that UA somehow should give your daughter the stipend that they have only offered to the 2014 NMF finalists. Forget what others may receive and focus on what you and your daughter have received, which is so much more than most other college students in the USA, and so very much more than most other 18 year olds in our current world that is filled with so many people who have so very little at all.</p>