Sorry 2013 National Merit Finalists

<p>

</p>

<p>The difference is that the 2011 and 2012 NMF/Crimson Elite scholarship recipients have a scholarship that is roughly equivalent in dollar value to the 2014 NMF scholarship. The 2013 scholarship is worth approximately $30,000 less than either the 2011/2012 and the 2014 scholarship. While the 2011 and 2012 NMF/Crimson Elite scholars might prefer the components of the 2014 package, they really wouldn’t have an equity based argument grounded in similar treatment for similarly situated students. While others might not be sympathetic – and I am feeling a distinct lack of sympathy in the course of this thread despite protestations to the contrary – I do think that there is an equity argument here – even if I acknowledge that as a business the University of Alabama is fully entitled to set its own policies to try to manage its yield and sort out its housing problems and that everyone who accepted the 2013 scholarship agreed to its terms.</p>

<p>Gstudent,</p>

<p>All of my comments were not meant to be directed specifically at you (although I did respond using a quote from you and one from another poster who later acknowledged the use of cheated was not accurate) and definitely not meant as a personal attack or insult to you or the other poster. My comments were directed to the general tone of this thread and one which began last year in response to the change from four years to one year of housing. While I respect anyone’s right to feel disappointed, my comments were a result of whining and claims or implications by several posters about their students being treated unfairly or cheated out of scholarship benefits they feel they are entitled to simply because they were/will be offered in another year. I think that is ridiculous and reflects entitlement rather than gratitude for what remains a generous scholarship package. There is nothing holy (as someone implied a holier than though attitude) about being gracious and showing humility, it’s just good manners not to express entitlement in return for a generous scholarship offer which these students willingly chose to accept. FWIW, I thought Randomparent’s earlier comments were excellent as were some others. </p>

<p>I am glad your daughter is embracing the UA and the many wonderful experiences it offers. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I don’t understand why anyone thinks this situation will deter future NMF’s. The 2014 offer is very generous. Do you think they won’t accept because they now know there is a chance the scholarship will be better or worse in later years which won’t affect them at all.
And yes Bama is not perfect btw. It is a great University that continues to impress & astound me, but it’s not all puppy dogs & rainbows. :)</p>

<p>My D, while not being a NMF has received and is taking advantage of all of the benefits that UA has to offer. She was invited to attend Early College, she took it and enjoyed it immensely. This gave her a leg up in several arenas. First, it gave her more credits to start off her freshman year along w/ her IB and AP credits. Secondly, it has given her a chance to get to know and become familiar with UA and the surrounding area. Third, she already has friends when she shows back up in a few days. For me the best thing is we miss all of the mass move-in as she was able to move from her EC dorm to her Fall dorm this past Friday, YEA! Another great bonus, the price for her to take advantage of this program was greatly reduced. They offer OOS scholarships for those that qualify for EC. The cost for room, tuition and books was less than a months rent of an apartment. D has already plugged in her classes and can graduate in 3 years. 3 1/2 - 4 if she does take advantage of the Scholars program and receives her BS and Masters. Compared to her HS classmates and what their schools offer and credits given, D is ahead. Listening to her HS friends parents about what they are spending on in-state tuition, D will graduate with no debt for both her BS and Masters. </p>

<p>There are so many ways to take advantage of what UA has to offer. It is there for the taking. And thrilled beyond measure to have the chance.</p>

<p>bamagirls, it is not the first time I/we have been called “holier than thou”. I do not consider myself “holy” in the manner referenced and do take some offense by being called such.</p>

<p>TxNCM, I assumed the “holier than thou” type remark was actually made toward me and/or randomparent due to references we both made (bible/church). Personally, I wasn’t in any way seeking to come across that way but rather agreeing with randomparent’s point about human nature and showing that it was around 2000 years ago when the parable I referenced was written. I purposely didn’t go into the moral of the parable. </p>

<p>I’ve found this thread very draining. I wish the best for all the incoming students, NMFs and non-NMFS. And honestly, I hope the 2013 NMF parents will find some sort of resolution they are happy with. As I said before, I think I would be disappointed as well if it applied to me. But it wouldn’t be the first time I was on the wrong end of something financially from a timing perspective. I try to not look back at those because it only stirs up discontent. Even without favorable resolution to this, I hope the 2013 NMF parents will be able to move forward without negative feelings.</p>

<p>Hmmm, txncmom and lattelady, I guess maybe that was meant for all of us? It isn’t the first time I have heard it either. I haven’t found anyone’s comments, including my own, to deserve that comment.</p>

<p>All that is good and bad about CC in one thread:-)</p>

<p>For those interested in the actual topic, Mary Speigel has responded to at least 3 of us, essentially saying tough luck. No expression of empathy or explanation of whiplash policy.</p>

<p>Mary Speigel’s response sounds appropriate to the situation, given that the earlier attempts by the administration to express empathy were deemed to be “pithy”. Good on her and I hope she keeps up the good work.</p>

<p>^ agreed. Good for her. LOL “whiplash policy.” incendiary much?</p>

<p>Sorry, no sympathy from me either. Your family received 2 full ride scholarships.
These are the ones that get my full sympathy that I wish I could help out:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1537036-roommate-cannot-afford-bama.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1537036-roommate-cannot-afford-bama.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You received a response, actually 2 responses from the university. I’m sure most universities and most businesses would have swept these inquires under the rug without a response. What actually are you wanting the university to do? Should we set up a donation jar at the checkout counter at the Supe Store? I’m just saying. </p>

<p>I’m not “holier than thou” but I am very thankful for the opportunity my D is getting from the University of Alabama. I fight to keep things in perspective on many fronts, this is not one of them. I realize the importance of a good education and am thankful for the little bit my D has received. </p>

<p>Hoping your kids can go and cherish every moment of their time on campus and the full experience they have been afforded. I do wish them the best. I wish all kids the best.</p>

<p>As I said in my first post, and yes, I too am getting tired of this thread, UA made its decision for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 based on variables and business plans the we are not privy to, nor should we be. The 2013 plan for NMFs was generous, the 2014 plan is more generous, period. We’ll never know why, nor do we deserve ANY explanation, empathy, or resolution in equity. Equity does NOT factor into it. Since my parody about gas prices was not well received, how about a salary analogy? Does an employee hired at 30K a year have a “right” to an explanation or “fix” if they find out that that their peer (in all respects equal from a qualifications standpoint) was hired for 40K? I think not. They could try, but to what end? It’s a business, the employer can do whatever they want based on the business needs at the moment. The hiring of the second employee was not meant to slight the first employee … the first employee was NOT a factor in the second employee’s hiring process.</p>

<p>My D is a NMF with the 4 years of housing offer version. She gave up 2 of those years to move into an apartment. If you don’t consider the scholarship, this is quite normal behavior for a college student. Live in the dorms for a couple year, then move into an apartment. No way I was saying no to that. Why would I force my D to live in the dorms with primarily Freshman all 4 years, when that is contrary to the normal college experience. Also, she turns 21 in September. My point in this, is that you can bet that UA keeps stats on how many of their NMFs were, in fact, utilizing the 4 year aspect of the housing scholarship. And that variable likely played into the impact analysis of reducing the benefit. Who knows what other factors were in play for the analysis of the 2014 changes?</p>

<p>My S will very likely attend UA as well, and he qualifies for Presidential … approximately $96,000 in value. We are thrilled for him … he busted his butt to earn it. He’ll graduate like my D debt free.</p>

<p>I turned 49 this year. Guess what else I did this year? I made my last student loan payment. Yep, I’m FINALLY done!</p>

<p>Let’s keep things in perspective, as I said before. To all the regular posters and contributors to CC, I say we let this topic lapse. It’s going NOWHERE except getting exceedingly chippy. We’ve seen threads like this before, and we’ll see them again. At least we weren’t talking about racial integration of the greek system again! :-)</p>

<p>^^^Congrats on paying your last student loan payment. I am SO fortunate that my oldest 2 will hopefully get out of college with their undergraduate degree debt free. (Thanks to a NMF tuition scholarship at another university, and UA’s generous scholarship). My hope is S3 will do the same…or at least get out with minimal debt. I am very grateful to all the schools that do give merit scholarships (they are harder to find every year.)</p>

<p>Ironically, studies have shown one of the reasons women’s salaries continue to lag behind men is that they are less likely to try to renegotiate their pay as market prices change.</p>

<p>Ironically, I just put out feelers for a job position that starting pay is more than the exact same job was when we hired the last person just a few months ago. Not kidding either. Applicants coming in the last few weeks were not of the caliber we desired. In order to get a more qualified employee we have to up the ante. It is the nature of the beast in business. I know for a fact that current employees would not be happy if we hired somenoe that could not pull their own weight.</p>

<p>^^^ @M2T … does not warrant a response.</p>

<p>Agreed, I’m done with this thread.</p>

<p>“In order to get a more qualified employee we have to up the ante”</p>

<p>Is this a dig at the inferiority of the 2013 NMF’s?</p>

<p>No. It is in response to a previous post that referenced such practices about hiring employees at different pay rates for the same position.</p>

<p>I have kept my mouth shut about this issue, but I am now going to respectfully ask that those pre- and post- 2013 NMF parents kindly stop poking the sharp end of the stick at the 2013 NMF families who have to actually deal with the realities of this situation. No more arm chair quarterbacking needed, thank you.</p>

<p>The title of this thread is insulting enough.</p>