Southern Gentlemen - Wow!

<p>^^^^We have visited dozens of southern towns. We have many southern relatives mostly from Georgia so no preconceived notions on this end. All are professionals, Doctors, a lawyer, a psychologist, law enforcement. </p>

<p>Galaxyfigment,
My point exactly. Whether you eat your chicken fried or you like it parmigiana, it’s still chicken. Lol.</p>

<p>FYI,
A lot of people dont realize that Jersey Shore and the Sopranos are both New Jersey based shows not NY. Both are great examples of stereotyping. I loathe both those shows.</p>

<p>I spent a few weeks on campus last year and one night at dinner a girl at our table threw a fit! This was over another girl asking to borrow her napkin after she had finished her meal. The first girl could NOT believe anyone asked for things like that and didn’t just reach in front of her and grab it like they do where she is from. She couldn’t understand why people were so being so nice. So I would have to agree the the only “culture shock” has to be using manners and being polite. </p>

<p>The only other possible “culture shock” I can think of would be if someone has grown up in a major metropolis. There could be an adjustment to living somewhere smaller. Yet that isn’t specific to Bama or even the south.</p>

<p>Whenever I travel to different parts of the country, I notice some differences. Are they “shocking”? Rarely. Coming from Calif, I’m surprised by the numer of smokers in some parts of the country. </p>

<p>When I visit the PNW, I’m surprised to see vinegar as a condiment for french fries. The pronunciations of some words are different (warsh???) and the usage of some words are different (pop for soda, buggy for shopping cart), but these things aren’t “shocking” or different enough to fill like a “fish out of water,” like some people worry about when going to school in another part of the country. The same people who visit 3rd world nations or do semester-abroads in those areas don’t worry about “shock,” yet they will when considering attending a univ in the South. Weird.</p>

<p>I was born in Mississippi, raised in Alabama, married a “southern gentleman” from Alabama, moved to Chicago for 14 years, now reside in Northern Virginia and raised a DS and DD in the last two places. It all comes down to one thing…RESPECT and the golden rule.</p>

<p>Cuddos to those young men and young ladies (no matter where their drivers license says they are from) for opening doors, pulling out chairs, offering to carry a heavy load, holding an umbrella, slowing down to help an older person…etc, etc…your mama and daddy raised you right!!! </p>

<p>There’s good folks all over this country. There is just an abundance in the South (cause we feed’em better, lol). We just have to pass it on. Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>M2CK, my thoughts exactly! I’ve seen it on other forums about people relocating and all worried about some kind of backwards culture shock that they might be in store for. It cracks me up every time. I guess my kids have been exposed to so much around the country and world that there is no “culture shock” for them. As you said, these people freak about what they will possibly experience by going to school in another state, still in this country. Then sign up for all of these visits to 3rd world countries. It is not like they are going to be going off to school for 4 years in some area that has no running water, electricity or such. I just laugh and roll with it and sometimes run with it and let them think that we are backwards as backwards can be. </p>

<p>adpmom, you got it, RESPECT. All comes down to that one simple act, RESPECT. Respect for others and yourself. </p>

<p>Now the vinegar on fries, ewwwwww.</p>

<p>All I can say is that stereotypes (both good and bad) don’t invent themselves. There is always a hint of truth at the core that starts the initial notion. </p>

<p>I actually LOVED the Sopranos while it was on, and while I realize that not everyone in the NE region is a selfish, impolite waste of flesh, these reputations perpetuate themselves.</p>

<p>I currently live in the gateway to the (mid) west, and I can barely tolerate it here. While the pace of life isn’t quite as hectic and the people are not generally as rude as my experiences from NYC, I can’t wait to retire much further south.</p>

<p>Say what you will about rednecks and the like, but I can tell you that on average, the people in the south have a different approach and outlook to life. They move at a slower (some would say more deliberate) pace, they are genuinely more friendly, and the testimony here is just a microcosm of daily life from my experiences.</p>

<p>I’ll repeat an often told story from our Bama Bound visit last summer. We were in a theatre taking in a movie in T-Town, and I have on my UA hat. A gentleman and his wife walk in, and I get a nod and the obligatory Roll Tide. I return it. There might have been ten people total watching this movie on a random tuesday night.</p>

<p>The movie ends, and the house lights come on. The Mrs. cannot find her prized “Bama Mom” pin she was given earlier in the day at breakfast. We start looking for it, and the gentleman I saw earlier stops and says “can I help ya’ll find something” - You would think we had lost a diamond ring the way he helped us after my wife explained what she had been looking for. It was eventually located, but this man took 10 minutes out of his evening to help an absolute stranger. THAT is the type of thing you just don’t see anywhere. Around here, we would have been half-trampled at worst, or given a head-shake at best because we were in the way.</p>

<p>I know UA doesn’t have a monopoly on these types of sentiments, but Roll Tide just the same.</p>

<p>*All I can say is that stereotypes (both good and bad) don’t invent themselves. There is always a hint of truth at the core that starts the initial notion. *</p>

<p>That may be true, but the “hint of truth” doesn’t apply to the targeted group at large. There may be a segment of Californians that are hippie-like, but that doesn’t mean that the whole population is a bunch of tree-hugging granola vegans. (nothing against those folks. :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>adpmom–Amen…Respect is the cardinal rule. Start with respect and everything else is inconsequential. If everyone taught their children respect when they were toddlers many of society’s problems would be nonexistent. We did with our boys and they are better people for it.</p>

<p>Rolltide90—Your idea about stereotypes is somewhat correct. Fortunately I am a very level headed, somewhat educated in the ways of the world type of guy and am smart enough to know that many of the ways folks are portrayed are the opinions of others. I make my own opinions. I blame most stereotypes on the movie and tv industry. As far as your bad NYC experience(s), well on behalf of the other 8.3 million NYC inhabitants we apologize. As you could imagine with so many folks living here there may be a couple of hundred thousand idiots but that would still only represent a small percentage. Next time you come up this way please PM me. I’ll recommend some awesome places for you to visit that will rock your socks off and make you very sad that you will have to end your vacation so soon.</p>

<p>My wife and I could’nt be happier that our son decided to attend The University of Alabama, a great Southern school. We never once considered “culture shock” nor did he. Open your eyes and your mind and the only shock you’ll encounter is of new experiences.</p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>“Open your eyes and your mind and the only shock you’ll encounter is of new experiences.”</p>

<p>Nailed it!</p>

<p>I certainly didn’t mean to label all of NYC as rude and unhelpful. I also know from experience not all in California are the tree-hugging type.</p>

<p>My point was merely that “Southern Hospitality” didn’t get that label undeservedly, and I know broad generalizations are not always fair. </p>

<p>I am quite sure there are rude kids at UA, and there are incredibly kind individuals at NYU, I was just speaking from my own personal experiences, opinions, and preferences. I KNOW we made the right choice in picking UA, and I could not be more proud of my S, the school, and the region as a whole because I feel it exemplifies my beliefs.</p>

<p>There is a lot to be said for gentlemanly behavior. I (hopefully) have raised my son to be a gentleman. If parts of the country believe us to be backwards rednecks, well, that is OK. He knows how to behave around me and my house. Maybe that is why Alabama is such a good fit for him; a lot like home…</p>

<p>After one semester at 'Bama our son returned home in an unrecognizable state. His wardrobe had evolved from t-shirts and board shorts to a college version of “casual smart.” He opened doors for women and waited to exit elevators until his elders had cleared. His speech was sprinkled with “yes sir” and “yes ma’am.”</p>

<p>The good people of Alabama provided this education tuition-free. To this day it has remained priceless indeed. :)</p>

<p>That’s awesome, malanai! Makes me seriously consider shipping my 18-year-old down there!</p>

<p>Hey, here in Rhode Island we use vinegar on our fries as well. Well, I don’t but its usually on the tables everywhere. A leftover British experience. We have traveled all over this country and have experienced so many different “cultures”. We lived in Los Angeles for 2 years and that in itself is full of many different cultures. That is one reason that, although I will miss them dearly, I encourage my kids to go to school out of state. Learn what other places have to offer. This great country is indeed a melting pot and all areas have cultures which reflect the values of the people who settled there. I have yet to see a bad place. Sure, south central LA isn’t someplace I’d like to visit again, it was quite an experience to see it. So Yankees, Midwesterners, West Coasters, unite! We are all Americans! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>ah…vinegar in the east as well. Hadn’t seen that.</p>

<p>ugh… should be: " or different enough to FEEL like a “fish out of water,” ack!!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>malanai, that is awesome. My midwestern son is at a small southern LAC and has pretty much come back the same way after one year. He isn’t going all preppy or anything but he is starting to dress in a more mature, put-together way and has cut his formerly unruly and longish hair. I love that he is now consistently opening doors for women rather than when he just happens to remember to do it.</p>

<p>I’m really hoping Alabama turns out to be an option for my daughter. She is a person who likes order and formality and I think she would thrive in such an environment. Plus, then I wouldn’t have to feel like a stalker on these 'Bama boards. :)</p>