Southern Methodist University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Hi! My son is attending a welcome reception tomorrow for students already
accepted into the engineering program. Invitation says Business Casual attire. Is a polo-style collared shirt acceptable? Or should he wear a button down shirt? I’m thinking SMU is more formal than we are in South GA, so I appreciate any opinions! Thanks!

Polo and khakis or nice jeans is business casual these days. Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks! He’s really excited. This is his first visit to the campus. We’ve never even been to Texas at all!

Polo is ok under a blazer or a button down. What part of South Georgia?

3 Likes

Better to dress like what Steve6 said if you have it. Business casual for engineering may be a bit more casual than Cox.

Velvet Taco on Greenville Ave is a Pony hangout. Ozona is more varied selection and across from Velvet Taco. Shugs Bagels before lunch at Mockingbird and 75. It’s in the same shopping center as the bookstore. Lots of restaurants along Hillcrest across from SMU. Campus area is very safe.

4 Likes

That’s great to hear about the numbers. I guess I just need to call them on Monday. I assumed that since we got the full $ offers from his other EA schools, we would be getting theirs soon too. We just want to start to narrow things down so we can make decisions in early March. Thanks for info.

Statesboro. We just got back home this evening. Great visit! Beautiful campus! Now we’re just waiting on financial aid package to see if we can make it work!!

3 Likes

Hi, if your son was accepted EA - the financials are in there. I’ve been going crazy wanting to see when we could expect them. I finally talked to them today and on the mysmu.edu - click “students - current or former” - it will take you to a page and should have a “To Do” where it says “authorization to credit”. Click that. Then it will have you fill out a form. It makes you connect with the Duo Mobile account to connect to your account. After you do that. Go back to the my.smu.edu dashboard. It will still say “to do” because it takes a while to connect. Ignore that. You will see three tabs: -General, Academics and Financials. Click Financials and it should show you the financial offer. Insane to do all of that. Two others my son got into EA literally notified us and we just opened it.
Anyway, I’m hoping I typed it out correctly and you can access it. I got confused since the “to do” thing still said it needed to be done so went in circles a couple of times.
Good luck!

3 Likes

Anybody know when President’s Scholars invites will go out?

2 Likes

Last year, it was this week. So I’m guessing it will be this week or next. Patience.

3 Likes

Wow that’s impressive! Did they publish the BBA Scholar profile for the incoming class?

I read it in a Cox booklet that was mailed to my house last month. They were comparing how the test score averages of BBA Scholars have increased from the beginning of the program around 16 years ago to now.

1 Like
4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! This is very helpful.

Thank you so very much!!! We followed your instructions and found my DC’s financial aid offer posted. We really appreciate your taking the time to detail these steps! Good luck to your child with making college decisions!

1 Like

So glad it helped!!! Hope y’all have a great weekend and best with y’all’s decisions as well.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this information! We found out last night that there was an error on our fafsa/css profile that delayed our financial aid award. Oh my goodness! If we hadn’t found a message through these portal instructions, we would have been SOL!

Thanks again!

1 Like

Same with us! We had no idea how to find the financial aid until the post. Checked Thursday night and we had an error to fix. Never got an email or anything.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Just seeing your response about the financial aid package. Thanks so much! I’ll make sure he checks it first thing tomorrow!!!

2 Likes

Anyone hear if they are a finalist for Hunt or Presidential scholarship yet?