Special circumstance mid range gpa college help! [VA resident, 3.27 GPA, 1270 SAT, fashion]

i have not heard of lasell and i have looked into marist but was a little wary about the size (it is pretty small) maybe i will give it a second chance though
thank you!

So -

I’ll agree with @thumper1 . One needs a budget up front. Why? To save you time and energy.

Radford has a cost of attendance of under $30K.

CU Boulder and I don’t see that they have your major (you might double check) - it’s over $60K.

So why spend your time, energy, and money applying if your parents will say - at $30K, you’re going to Radford - we won’t pay $60K. So it’s not to lecture - but to make your time more efficient - if that makes sense. If they’re ok with CU at $60K, then yes, no discussion to have (other than that school doesn’t appear to have your major).

You have a very impressive background - you’re an entrepreneur, have long term tenure in jobs and are an accomplished cheer leader.

So while normally it’s ok to apply to many schools, given all you have going on - why not apply to schools you have a chance to go to.

So you might have that discussion with your folks now - if Radford is $30K and CU Boulder is $60K+, will you send me to CU Boulder. You can do that with each school.

So - Syracuse has prominent greek life but that can always be overcome. Charleston is very different - small and urban - but if you like that, then it’s great. But it’s different than other schools you mentioned.

So - I will recommend a school I know a student has been very successful in your major. The student works in Chicago. While you might think it’s Southern, if you look on a map, it’s almost midwestern. It’s in a thriving part of the country and it’s a beautiful campus - Arkansas.

Iowa State would be another for you. The campus is supposedly nice and looks like it has nature. It’s highly regarded in the major - shows up in a few lists. Mizzou came up too.

UNC Greensboro is close to home - vs. others.

URI and harder to get to Oregon State are others you that might meet your criteria.

As for your schools - and your SAT isn’t necessarily unhelpful. It’d a positive at Charleston for example - I’d say:

CU might be a reach. C of C would be a match.

PS - other schools mentioned such as Kent State and Marist also made the screen - and you can check the areas to see if they fit.

PS - as you note FIT as possible, how about SUNY Oneonta (has a program with one year at FIT) or even the New School (not sure of their selectivity).

Best of luck to you.

4 Likes

great thank you ! i was wary of marist when i briefly looked at it before because of class size but i will have to do more research since you brought up the variety and experience thank you a lot! :slightly_smiling_face:

thank you for the detailed response!
i agree budget is in important but like i said i am very aware of school costs and actively have conversations with my family about them and what we can afford
i am more looking for school suggestions on here to do more research into and will discuss pricing with my family if i like the college
i am not ride or die for fashion merchandising i will happily do entrepreneurship or business if i like the college because my goal is to my own business owner which cu boulder has a good business college
you have some great suggestions and i will definitely look into all of them and very much appreciate it and the insight on some of the colleges i am applying to! thank you a lot! have a great night

Have you considered Babson?

https://www.babson.edu/entrepreneurship-center/startup-incubation/fashion-entrepreneurial-initiative/

2 Likes

Two more - the first likely a reach, the second a safety.

Bentley - it’s a business focused school. I was thinking more Babson but that’s highly unlikely as it’s a difficult admit. At a school like Bentley, while it’s business focused, you can cross register at both Brandeis and Regis Colleges.

Other other thought - when you talk about nature and all that - you can’t beat U of Arizona (if you like desert landscape). It’s got a fashion program but also a solid b-school.

Best of luck to you.

Edit - I see @thumper1 just had the same idea

3 Likes

If you are interested in business
also check out Bryant University.

3 Likes

honestly i have never heard of it i will look into it thank you!

again thank you so much for all the suggestions!

It seems that the OP’s general orientation is toward marketing. For this she may want to research relatively specialized potential choices, such as Babson, Bentley and Bryant, as well as more general universities with strong marketing programs, such as Fairfield, Miami (OH) and Seattle.

3 Likes

If you’re thinking fashion merchandising, then some other schools you may want to consider are:

• Central Michigan: About 10k undergrads
  • Thomas Jefferson (PA ): About 3800 undergrads
  • Western Michigan: About 14k undergrads

For colleges with entrepreneurship/business and some relation to fashion (like design), you may want to consider:

• Drexel (PA ): About 14k undergrads at this co-op focused school
  • Montclair State (NJ): About 17k undergrads
  • U. of Cincinnati (OH):About 30k undergrads at this co-op focused school which is nice for getting lots of practical experience
  • U. of Delaware: About 19k undergrads
  • Virginia Commonwealth: About 21k undergrads. It doesn’t have a fashion merchandising major, but it has a very popular fashion design major and lots of business options. I’d definitely consider adding this in-state school to your list.
2 Likes

i am actually applying to drexel i totally forgot to put them on my list oops :sweat_smile: thank you for the specific lists i appreciate it!

1 Like

Drexel is great because you’d get work experience. You have it - but you’d get it specifically working in a desired industry at the existing business level.

U of Cincinatti might be another. Neither is near “nature” per se but when you drive

Drexel published cost is near $80K - so if SU is an issue, so would Drexel be an issue.

I’d call it a match.

Good luck.

1 Like

You may want to check out Stevenson University in Maryland. It’s small, but has degrees in Fashion Merchandising (with internships) and Entrepreneurship, and a campus that gets great reviews.

4 Likes

thank you!

VCUArts has fashion merchandising. It seems like an obvious option? Richmond does have access to nature, but you’d have to seek it out - it’s not like the campus is isolated in the mountains. But Richmond has some funky areas, and back in my day (haha) had some vintage shops.

1 Like

i have looked at vcu and toured it and i dont think it matches me very well thank you for your suggestion though!

1 Like

IU Bloomington has a fashion merchandising major. The campus is beautiful, and they have a 80% acceptance rate and offer early action.

3 Likes

Yes, Kent State has a good program and is not too highly competitive for admission.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.