Special circumstance mid range gpa college help! [VA resident, 3.27 GPA, 1270 SAT, fashion]

Demographics

• us citizen
  • State/Location of residency: northern virginia
  • Type of high school: i go to a top high school in my county and live in a top county for the country
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: white girl

**fashion merchandising or colleges equivalent , entrepreneurship , last resort is business **

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.27
  • Weighted HS GPA: 3.47
  • my “special circumstance” is my gpa is low because my sophomore year i had serious mental health and family issues and ended the year with all c’s , my freshman and junior year i have never gotten below a b so I intend to have my counselor write a letter explaining
  • Class Rank: school doesnt do class ranks
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1270 on sat and i intend to send it in

Coursework

• ap environmental score : 3 , taking 3 aps this year and 1 de class , ap stat is highest level of math, and went til french 3

Extracurriculars
** i have owned my own online vintage shop for 5 years and style people through it , worked 2 long term jobs , high school cheerleader 1 year , all star cheerleader 2 years*

Essays/LORs/Other
my essay is about how i have been creating my own businesses since a very young age neighborhood craft sales , to online earring sales in elementary school, to slime shop, to vintage store i think it gives a good sense of who i am and that i am driven

i do not have a definite budget

Schools this is my best guess

• Safety *radford EA *
  • Match colorado state EA, university of boulder colorado EA, east carolina university EA
  • Reach college of charleston EA , syracuse, university of vermont EA
  • Unsure : fashion institute of technology
    for school suggestions i am looking for schools that:
  • are NOT very southern (texas schools , alabama , similar areas)
  • somewhere with a nice campus and nature (colorado, syracuse, charleston)
  • not SUPER prominent greek life but can probably overlook this one if necessary
    please refrain from commenting on my intelligence i am aware i do not seem very smart and thank you for any help!

You need one. You very well could be paying full cost of attendance at any college in this country. Neither your grades nor SAT score would make you a competitive applicant for colleges that meet full need for all students. And merit aid would be unlikely as well for the colleges you have listed. And none of them meet full need for all accepted students.

So…you need to find out…can your parents pay the full cost of attending college in this country which could easily be $50,000 a year…or more.

1 Like

I agree that they need a budget but OP is a US citizen.

1 Like

Oops…I don’t think she is international!

I’ve edited my post.

But bottom line is…this student needs a BUDGET from her parents.

2 Likes

im saying that my parents are not giving me a budget they are allowing me to apply where i would like and worrying about money after i see where i get accepted

I’m going to give you my personal opinion. What happens if you get accepted to colleges and they are all too costly for your family to pay for? Getting an acceptance that is not affordable is like getting a rejection.

As long as you are happy with Radford, which isn’t that costly, fine. But the others are either OOS expensive, or private school expensive.

1 Like

the only college on this list that my family has said we would need financial help on is syracuse the rest are not as issue i am aware of cost of the schools i am applying to and am not looking for a lecture on pricing i was hoping for some colleges that seem like they would fit my interests that i can research more
i appreciate the concern about budget but it is redundant to me

You might want to look at some of the SUNY colleges. I think you might find one you would like.

1 Like

ok thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, have you considered any of the other public universities in VA?

i am applying to virginia tech as a reach also because i know their fashion merchandising program is small so i may have a chance
im not applying to any others because i havent found any that have fashion merchandising and would only stay in virginia for fashion merchandising, i am hoping to get out of the state if i can

@merc81 any link to fashion merchandising schools for this student?

Kent State has a fashion merchandising major and might be worth a look.

5 Likes

thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you have a very solid and professional looking portfolio?

1 Like

fashion merchandising does not ask for a portfolio because it is a business major not a design major!

Am I not thinking of the same field here?

2 Likes

What about Marist College and Lasell University?

1 Like

I was just about to pipe in and recommend Marist as well. I’d be a little leary of Lasell. They have made big staff cuts recently.

Marist"s program would probably be great for someone like yourself that has already set up an online store. They offer a variety of concentrations. Students seem to get lots of great experience. Fashion Merchandising - Marist College

5 Likes

you are correct in the field but fashion merchandising the major does not require any sort of portfolio at any of the schools i am applying to or from what i understand any at all
i believe that what you are looking at is the type of portfolio put together as a resume when applying for a job with prior work for different brands