Spring 2013

<p>Today, I was watching Chuck season 1 when I got an email. I opened it and saw UW Madison's acceptance letter. I became dizzy with excitement; the world spun, I couldn't believe it. I've imagined this e-mail coming for a long time; I just wasn't sure it would herald an acceptance. I've seen badgers in red through my computer on different websites, their energy synthesized, a vibrant force, and the thought of becoming a badger seemed so unlikely. Now, I'm just racing with excitement, can barely stop thinking. My mind is bouncing off everything. I'm just, just so excited to finally be a badger!</p>

<p>When did you finish sending all your application files? Would you mind giving some stats?</p>

<p>I sent everything 5 weeks ago. I had a SAT score of 2080, and a SAT2 score of 720, 800, 800 from physics, math 1 and math 2.I also took part in 2 international contests, one of them unsuccessfully. My class rank was 1/65, and my GPA on the transcript was about 92percent (we don’t use a 4.0 scale). There was a very significant grade drop in my junior year but I explained it in my essays. My essays could have been better and had about 3 or 4 errors, and I wasn’t sure the personal stuff I talked about in it would be enough to get me admitted but ultimately it was. I was already considering back-up applications to other universities in case UW-Madison rejected me, but that’s no longer an issue. Good luck!</p>

<p>Wait, are you a transfer student(since you put Spring 2013) or was this for regular freshman admissions.</p>

<p>Regular freshman admission. I kinda found out about UW Madison belatedly, otherwise I’d have applied for a fall 2012 start. Instead, I’m starting January 2013. But UW Madison is great, and I’m happy to be there, so it’s all good. Can’t wait.</p>

<p>CONGRATULATIONS!</p>

<p>Have you been offered the opportunity to live in a University Residence Hall beginning in January?</p>

<p>[Division</a> of University Housing at UW-Madison](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/]Division”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/)</p>

<p>I got the e-mail about a housing contract today. I’m really happy.</p>

<p>Congratulations! Some people do move out of the dorms second semester- they leave UW or do a semester abroad as my son’s first roommate did (“abroad” can even be in the US I found). Those people can get out of their contract, leaving some spaces for transfers and others like yourself. You won’t get the same choices but will get a space as available.</p>

<p>That’s fine. I just hope I get one on the Lakeshore side. My parents are willing to pay for the first year, but they are really counting on me to get some amount of engineering scholarship after the first year. From what I saw, the scholarships are not easy-coming.</p>

<p>Everyone has a favorite - I highly recommend Chadbourne, which is NOT in Lakeshore.</p>

<p>@Madison85, @wis75, is it likely or just merely possible for a really strong engineering international to get one of the engineering scholarships regardless of the amount. All the ones I went through emphasized high GPAs and good standing simply for eligibility. I’m going to go through each residence hall in detail, particularly chadbourne. Thanks.</p>

<p>I don’t believe there are departmental scholarships offered for students starting in spring semester. Also, since you aren’t admitted to engineering until after your sophomore year.</p>

<p>Too many excellent students to count on merit money from any department. You would have to prove yourself while at UW and even then the chances are low. </p>

<p>UW has so many diverse dorm settings- I always chose Lakeshore when friends chose Barnard (all of us women in Chemistry)- I prefered the location even with Chad as an option. Learned all of the ways between areas and walked them a lot. Make your list based on your priorities and no matter where you end up it will work. All we can do is list our favorites but you know what suits your style. There are pros and cons to each dorm.</p>

<p>I just got into UW-Madison for engineering. I got a 1780 on my SAT but I do the IB, and am going to get a diploma. I don’t which college to choose between UT Austin, CU Boulder and Madison. </p>

<p>I have applied to Texas as an Undeclared, so I have to declare a major after a year. They are the only school left to reply.</p>

<p>If you are an entering freshman you are admitted to the university as a whole, not a specific school or college, much less major. There’s another current thread which discusses this for adit…</p>

<p>If you decide to live on Lakeshore and do not select either Liz Waters or Dejope, you haven’t done your homework.</p>

<p>It’s the difference between living in a hotel and a dungeon, with only a very marginal cost difference.</p>