Spring 2017 Transfer (Making Friends)

Hey I’m a spring 2017 transfer looking for advice in terms of making friends. I’m quite shy but trying to work on it, which is why I’m attending a school away from home.

But if I’m being honest, my biggest concern is attending a school as a black minority. I’m from a neighborhood where my race seems to dominate so this school would likely be a social shock for me (as my likely career path would be). I am hoping for the best as I subject myself to change by I’m attending Binghamton. But I’ll like advice on the best dorms and activities for spring transfers to make friends. not looking for minority friends specifically… just good people

I made a mistake sorry

Hello, I just transferred to Bing this past fall 2016 semester and I am also very shy and quiet like you (which is actually why I have not made many friends yet)! And just like you, I came from an all black (and Hispanic) neighborhood too so I must say, it is odd to actually feel like a minority for the first time in your life but for the most part everyone is quite friendly. As for the best activities for spring semester… I cannot tell you much about that because this is going to be my first spring semester at Bing too! Nonetheless, the best dorm really depends on your personality. If you want a social dorm/community, I’d say go to College in the Woods or Hinman (where I live, but it’s not as aesthetically pleasing as others). Mountain view and Dickinson are very nice but are not as social… but I do not know much about the other communities. You will get lots of emails(basically spam) from the “B-line” which tells you all about the events occurring on campus and lots of times there are transfer events where you can go to make “friends” but I only went to a couple but only because the interactions seemed a little forced/fake to me because people are trying to make friends at these. I’d say your best bet is to go to the other random non transfer events and meet new people. Also, most of the communities house suites so you’ll be in a room with at least 3 other people so you can always make friends with your suite mates.

You being black should not be an issue. Binghamton is a diverse campus and there are many other students from the same background as yourself. There are many clubs to join from ballroom dance to the scrabble club to the anime club. There is also a wide variety of clubs that cater to minority students like the black student union, african student organization and others. Maybe you don’t want to participate but they are there if you want them and they are pretty active.

Since you asked about the dorms they are all hit and miss. A lot of them are dependent on your roommate, suite mates or floor. The most social in general is Newing. Mountainview and dickinson have a reputation for being less social. College in the woods and hinman are older and not as nice as the others but hinman is very convenient since it is close to lecture hall and the library.