St Andrew's School, Delaware

<p>Bump. </p>

<p>I’m deciding between St. Andrew’s and Choate. For SAS, I’m worried about:
[<em>]small school size-- does it get lonely? what do kids do on weekends?
[</em>]isolation from a city/other schools
[<em>]academics-- how are the teachers? are classes challenging?
[</em>]dorms-- i heard there is no internet in dorms.
[li]Dress code-- I kinda like the idea of one, However, does it hold throughout the whole day? because I don’t like that so much.</p>[/li]
<p>I’m mainly interested in art and music, is SAS good in those areas? What about compared to Choate?</p>

<p>As the parent of Third Former, I’ll try to answer:</p>

<p>small school size-- does it get lonely? what do kids do on weekends?
I don’t know if there is any difference in how “lonely” you might feel at a school of 300 vs. a school of 850. While there might be fewer people to get to know, but I’d guess that the average kid will befriend the same number of people at a school of 300 vs. a school of 850.</p>

<p>What do kids do on weekends? After Saturday classes, some kids will have athletic events. There are dances as well. Some kids ride bikes to town or the nearby shopping centers/grocery stores/restaurants. The school also organizes some van trips to local malls/movie theater, etc. Pretty sure there is chapel on Sunday (I think kids of different faiths are provided with transportation to other places of worship.), but after that you can work on homework, watch movies in common rooms, bake cookies, play pickup games of paddle, tennis, basketball, etc. The campus is a beautiful and quite large…</p>

<p>isolation from a city/other schools
This is one of those questions that comes up a lot about schools that I just don’t understand. Do people consider Wallingford some sort of metropolis? Or Exeter or Concord, NH? I can understand that if a kid lives in Manhattan or another major city that a place like Middletown might seem like a small town, but again, how often do any of these prospective students visit a metropolis in their pre-boarding school lives? If proximity to a city is important, then Andover, Groton, Milton (Boston), Lawrenceville (NY/Phila), The Masters School (NYC) would be more likely choices than Choate (or Exeter, St. Paul’s, Hotchkiss, Deerfield, etc.) St. Andrew’s is about 30 minutes from Wilmington, DE and about 1 hour (by car) from Philadelphia.</p>

<p>There are a number of prep schools in Delaware and Pennsylvania that St. Andrew’s plays in sports. It might be a small state, but 2 of the top female XC runners in the country came from Delaware (Haley Pierce of Tatnall and Julie Macedo of Charter) this year.</p>

<p>academics-- how are the teachers? are classes challenging?
As I’ve noted in other posts, my daughter is a high-achieving (99th-ile SSAT, etc.) student and is perfectly satisfied with her teachers and the level of rigor. Looking at her schedule for next year with an eye toward the years after that, she has no concern about “maxing out” the course offerings.</p>

<p>dorms-- i heard there is no internet in dorms.
There is no internet in the rooms (wifi or ethernet). I think it’s a plus, as does my daughter. The common rooms have ethernet cables and a few terminals for people to use if you don’t have a laptop. Also note, using a cell phone in public areas is also prohibited. I think the point here is that they don’t want kids checking Facebook in every waking moment or texting while walking to class.</p>

<p>Dress code-- I kinda like the idea of one, However, does it hold throughout the whole day? because I don’t like that so much.
That’s a good question. I think you have to stay in “classroom dress” for the entire school day, but can change after classes are done. There are “formal” meals (where you have to wear “classroom dress”, but I forget exactly how many per week.</p>

<p>I’m mainly interested in art and music, is SAS good in those areas? What about compared to Choate?

• It was just Arts weekend at SAS, so I got to see student art and hear the musical groups. My wife is a professional artist who did stints at MoMa and the Guggenheim, and she was even more impressed with the art than I was. As I noted in an earlier post, the first chair cellist and violinist in the orchestra are amazing, could probably earn a living as musicians if they wanted to.</p>

<p>Choate seems to have amazing arts programs and, of course, the IM Pei-designed Mellon Arts Center building. What I think you’ll see at Choate (and all larger schools) is a “deeper bench” in all sections of an orchestra. I bet you the first chairs at majority of these schools are of comparable ability.</p>

<p>Hope this helps. You can’t go wrong with either school. It really comes down to what you and your family value and which school best meets your needs/matches those values. I happen to prefer the more private feeling of the SAS campus (and SPS as well as Groton) to the more open/in-town layout of Choate (and Exeter).</p>

<p>I’ll leave you with this thought from the Headmaster’s page of the SAS website: “If you take on the opportunity of St. Andrew’s, you will embark on a life changing adventure.”</p>

<p>Maybe I missed something and this is all hearsay but understand SAS over enrolled and not referring to their waitlist although (again hearsay) they did take one incoming 10th grade girl off the wait list only one day after the initial acceptance letters went out. It is debatable whether or not that would even be considered going to the wait list. I understand SAS had a record number of applications this year. I don’t know the exact number and I’m sure it’s not as high as most of the New England boarding schools but they’re definitely swimming in NE ponds.</p>

<p>Link to pics from recent 2012 Arts Weekend:</p>

<p>[Arts</a> Weekend 2012 - a set on Flickr](<a href=“http://www.■■■■■■■■■■/photos/sasdelaware/sets/72157629745161534/]Arts”>Arts Weekend 2012 | Flickr)</p>

<p>The first few groups are from the individual Form potluck/cookouts on Friday night…then there are a bunch from the Art Show and the various performances on Friday and Saturday…I think ending with the Saturday night dinner (which we did not stay for, regrettably).</p>

<p>Bumping for incoming Fall 2012 students and future applicants.
Got questions about SAS, move-in day, what to bring/what not to bring? Ask away!</p>

<p>Thanks for re-positioning us here, 7Dad!</p>

<p>Do JV and Thirds teams (all sports teams?) have locker facilities at the Field House or Gym? In other words, I am wondering if kids need to be prepared to transport clothing and showering materials out of the dorm, or do they (Third Formers, specifically) change, shower, etc., for practices using dorm facilities. The answer might get complicated, but will appreciate any info, which could affect what we bring.</p>

<p>@Charger:
Winterset taught me many things…</p>

<p>I asked my daughter who reports that yes, in the fall she had a locker in the field house where she could keep her gear. She said that people mostly shower in the dorms (this could be a gender-specific thing).</p>

<p>For spring crew, she says people change/shower in your dorm since the boathouse is near Founders.</p>

<p>She did recommend bringing a small sport bag for water bottles and assorted gear you might not leave in your locker.</p>

<p>When I visited SAS, I saw one of the III former’s dorm room, but I’ve totally forgotten what it had or what it looked like. In addition to the beds, I guess there was a desk for each girl and maybe a chest of drawers for each??? Not sure :frowning: How many drawers??? How about the closets? One for each or just one to share? I can’t seem to find any pictures online.</p>

<p>Also, is the school store open in the summer? I live close enough that I can drive there.</p>

<p>@LuckyStar219: Based on my daughter’s frosh double last year, here is what I recall as furniture/built-in storage in the room (2x for her roommate, of course):</p>

<ul>
<li><p>1 twin (not xl twin) bed on a frame that seemed height adjustable
When we arrived, it was already set high enough that we could fit a trunk/camp footlocker underneath (and many other things)</p></li>
<li><p>Built in bookshelf with 2-3 shelves</p></li>
<li><p>1 desk & chair
Desk had a few drawers, chair has moderate rocker to it</p></li>
<li><p>1 built in chest of drawers
I think there are 5 drawers in this unit, which is topped by a flat area that has a mirror on the wall. 2 of the drawers are shallow (for sox and underwear or jewelry or random stuff…one of these smaller drawers is lockable, I guess for jewelry or money). 2 of the drawers are normal depth, and bottom one is double depth (for bulky items like sweaters).</p></li>
<li><p>There is a narrowish closet (30 inches?) with a single bar and a small shoe rack at the bottom. I recommend brining one of those hanging bars that lets effectively double your closet space by adding a lower bar.</p></li>
<li><p>There is some built in storage up high, above the closet, I think two nooks per person.</p></li>
<li><p>There are hooks on the wall for towels, jackets, etc.</p></li>
<li><p>You can probably get some over-door hooks for the door.</p></li>
</ul>

<hr>

<p>I don’t know if the school store is open over the summer…it would be best to call to find out their hours. I do know that it’s open on move-in day — and busy!</p>

<p>@SevenDad: Thank you sooooo much!!! That was very detailed and super helpful :slight_smile: I’m soooo excited about starting school!!!</p>

<p>@LuckyStar219: No worries…glad I can be of service. Just “paying forward” the help I received from folks here in the past.</p>

<p>The only other bit of advice I’d give is to pack only your early fall clothes for Move-In day (keeping in mind that “Haycock” dress code is in effect for first few weeks of school). Since you say you live fairly close, your folks can always bring you more or you can bring more with you after Fall Break.</p>

<p>Oh wait, here’s one more piece of advice: explore some underbed storage options…like perhaps those clear shoeboxes (and other sizes of those “organizer” type bins). My daughter definitely made use of these types of storage throughout the year.</p>

<p>@SevenDad: Thanks again. Next week I’ll be going shopping with my mom for storage stuff, so I’ll keep that in mind.</p>

<p>Don’t know if I’ve shared this before, but it’s a great blog kept by an SAS alum walking across the country this year…some really nice writing and stories in there.</p>

<p>[Walking</a> to Listen](<a href=“http://walkingtolisten.com/]Walking”>http://walkingtolisten.com/)</p>

<p>Does anybody know if III Form boys’ triple rooms are normally found on Hillier and Fleming, or is a triple this year probably a double that has been added to for high enrollment?</p>

<p>@Charger: Hopefully a parent of a boy will answer or has already answered your question about triples in the boys corridors.</p>

<p>In other news, the new field house just received LEED Gold Certification:
[St</a>. Andrew’s School: News » Detail](<a href=“http://www.standrews-de.org/news/detail.aspx?pageaction=ViewSinglePublic&LinkID=1437&ModuleID=22&NEWSPID=1]St”>http://www.standrews-de.org/news/detail.aspx?pageaction=ViewSinglePublic&LinkID=1437&ModuleID=22&NEWSPID=1)</p>

<p>Here’s a link to a Flickr set with a bunch of “in progress” pix (I’ve linked to shot of it in use):
[DSC_0052</a> | Flickr - Photo Sharing!](<a href=“http://www.■■■■■■■■■■/photos/sasdelaware/6425629079/in/set-72157627016120347/]DSC_0052”>DSC_0052 | St. Andrew's School | Flickr)</p>

<p>Finally made time to read the latest issue of the SAS magazine. According to one article, the average FA grant this year was $39,492…more than the $36k figure cited on the website. Full tuition is $47k, so that means the average grant covers 84% of tuition. Also note that 47% of the student body gets some amount of FA.</p>

<p>There’s a pretty great student short story in the issue as well:
[St</a>. Andrew’s School: Alumni » St. Andrew’s School Magazine](<a href=“http://www.standrews-de.org/alumni/st-andrews-school-magazine/index.aspx]St”>http://www.standrews-de.org/alumni/st-andrews-school-magazine/index.aspx)</p>

<p>@ Charger 78, in reference you inquiry about the triples, I can say that it is the norm to have triples in the III form boy’s dorms. The school does not just randomly make up room assignments. You could almost look at it as a compliment if they placed you in one of the triples as they really do consider each individual student for room assignments. I forget exactly how many triples there are on each floor. My son is away right now so I can’t ask him. I’m confident you’ll be find. You should be able to email your Senior big brother for any questions. He really is going to want it to all work for you and not just for the first week or month but for the entire year. A side story; my son was all set for a double his Junior year when during the Summer he was asked to form a quad. M&D were not pleased about this and neither was he. But there was a situation not of his doing and school needed two guys they could work it out with. Other than the messy room infractions the four were given a little leeway coupled with the fridge and study hall privileges in the class room. Needless to say he had a fantastic year and got his room choice for this Fall. Good luck and enjoy your journey!</p>

<p>Hello,
I was just surfing the 'net and I found this page. I am a current St. Andrew’s student and I just completed my freshman year (I am a boy). So if you guys have any questions, I can answer them (I know other people have been doing a great job of answering them too).
I am looking forward to seeing you all in a few weeks!</p>

<p>As SAS move-in day approaches, I wanted to remind folks that they may want to pack the following items:</p>

<ul>
<li>Something appropriate to wear to a square dance (like overalls, denim shorts, a cowboy hat, flannel/check shirt, etc.)</li>
<li>Some shorts/t-shirts/shoes that you don’t care about getting irreparably dirty (for the class orientation activities)</li>
</ul>