St Andrew's School, Delaware

<p>Well, was that a sweaty enough move-in day for you folks?</p>

<p>I always get a good feeling when we make the turn into 350 Noxontown, and yesterday was no different — despite the heat and humidity. Great to see advisors, AOs, and of course, Headmaster Tad Roach.</p>

<p>Hoping all new SAS parents are holding up well as your kids embark on an amazing journey at St. Andrew’s. Feel free to PM with any Qs your or your student might have as the year unfolds.</p>

<p>Hey does anyone know about St Andrew’s policy for international financial aid?</p>

<p>We packed the car. Headed off early in the morning. I held my breath as we entered the campus. We registered, unpacked and fixed up her room. As she left us to have lunch with her new friends, I held my breath again. We listen…ed to the headmaster as he reassured us that this was the right decision, and I held my breath again. Then I saw her talking, laughing, introducing herself… and she had a twinkle in her eyes! I held my breath one more time. Then I hugged her a bit longer than I normally do and told her how much I loved her. As we drove away, I held my breath. </p>

<p>I did not breathe very much all day but I saw my daughter smile as she became a St. Andrean.</p>

<p>Was kind of surprised that time is devoted to having parents meet with Mr. Roach at the expense of a group meeting with the corridor parents. I got a chance to say hello to them casually and quickly as we moved into our III Former’s room, but that’s not the same as a 20 minute this is all of us, this is what we do, and these are our answers to your questions. These men and women are likely the most vital ones for the students (especially new ones) for at least the first week or two, if not longer. As a parent, they are the ones I most want a connection to, especially at the beginning of the year. Has move in always been handled this way for as long as you’ve done it?</p>

<p>@Charger: That’s odd. The session with Tad is meant for new parents more than repeats (he said as much), so you’d think that they wouldn’t schedule a meeting then.</p>

<p>In our experience during the 2011 and 2012 move-in days, the seniors on dorm as well as the dorm parents stopped by our daughter’s room as she was setting up. And that was it…and truthfully, that was fine with us. We had a lot more two-way contact with her advisor over the year than the dorm parents. </p>

<p>After I related your post to my wife, she said that she felt (at least in our experience with SAS) that the advisor is more of the gatekeeper/coordinator of any issues going on as well as the person who reached out to us with updates…even those that came from the dorm parents or teachers.</p>

<p>I know it’s a few weeks away, but perhaps you can try to have a coffee with the corridor parents at Parents Weekend?</p>

<p>First week is over and D is doing great! Loves the school, the students, the faculty, etc. I, on the other hand, have had a somewhat difficult time adjusting. My main problem has to do with not having enough time to talk with her. I’m a talker :slight_smile: and I’m used to talking about the day and how it went with my daughters. The oldest just graduated college and when she was away we talked a lot, not just about important things, but just to chat. Boarding school is turning out to be quite different when it comes to accessibility to our daughter, just to talk. Since they are not allowed to use their cell phones freely (which I know has it’s positive points), and because the reception has been so bad, we haven’t had a chance to talk with her for more than a few quick minutes here and there. It’s really stressing me out. I’m not talking about having to know everything or having to control her every move, etc. I’m just talking about being able to have a relaxed conversation with her regularly and being able to reach her more easily. Now, let me also explain that she is not a talker :slight_smile: She probably does not feel the need to talk as much as I do. But, does anyone have any suggestions about this? Do you have a scheduled day to talk with your child on a weekly basis? Do you have problems with reception and dropped calls? How often do your kids call home? Are weekends a better bet for calling? Will I get used to this? :)</p>

<p>Sunflower, we struggled with this one too, b/c our family is close. During the week, calls tend to be less productive and sometimes cranky. A Sunday morning call can allow for more talk time, but not always. Nothing works as well as in person, frankly, and so count on breaks to “really catch up.” But, I will say, stick with it, and you will have good talks some of the time. Our D still talks to us more than most of her peers (she’s a sr) so while it can sometimes befrustrating, if you want to keep the contact up long term, make it a regular habit for better or worse.</p>

<p>I am really new on this site and I don’t know I posted in a right place or not. I wanted to ask that my first choice college is lehigh university and the ED I deadline is November 15th. I am giving my SAT I exam in November 3 n SAT II in October 6. Actually what does that deadline mean??? Is it the deadline I should submit everything or fill up the application form. If i apply for ED will they look automatically my SAT score thru college board after it is published??? It will take atleast 3 weeks to get the results i guess…I am really confused about these stuffs…</p>

<p>@Sunflower219: I’m going to send you a PM later tonight with some suggestions plus a bit of commiseration (we’ve been there!).</p>

<p>Sunflower, maybe you should also post on one of the new parents threads in Prep School Parents since I think we’re all struggling with this adjustment. Hang in there! I’m trying to keep my distance too but it’s hard. I’m just dying to know what her days are like!</p>

<p>Thanks for all your comments. I guess it does feel better to know I am not alone.</p>

<p>you are definitely not alone in this :-(</p>

<p>A couple of links to chapel talks from the new school year:</p>

<p>Associate Headmaster Will Speers:
<a href=“http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/HomepageNews/2012.9.12.Sabbatical.Chapel.pdf[/url]”>http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/HomepageNews/2012.9.12.Sabbatical.Chapel.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Headmaster Tad Roach:
<a href=“http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/HomepageNews/DTR.Remarks.OldSt.Annes9.9.12.pdf[/url]”>http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/HomepageNews/DTR.Remarks.OldSt.Annes9.9.12.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If you are a prospective student or a parent whose child is considering SAS, I invite you to read the transcripts of these talks (or listen to Will Speers’ here: <a href=“http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/Podcast/Chapel_9.12.12.mp3[/url]”>http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/Podcast/Chapel_9.12.12.mp3&lt;/a&gt;). </p>

<p>Compare the ideas and sentiments these school leaders share with your own POV and/or your hopes and dreams for your child/yourself — and with what leaders of other schools you are considering have said on record. It’s not a bad way (and certainly not the only way) to help determine the notion of “fit”.</p>

<p>I finally made the time to read the address that Elizabeth Roach (Chair of English Department and wife of Headmaster) gave at this year’s Convocation.</p>

<p>It’s a little longer and slightly more dense than the talks I cited earlier, but just as “St. Andrew’s” as those.</p>

<p>Here’s a great excerpt:</p>

<p>“Get to know, really know, each other, not just the edited versions of each other. The amazing thing is that you will get to know yourself better as well; you will not have to hide behind a polished version of yourself — your friends will allow you to be awkward and unfinished and still a work in progress.”</p>

<p>Earlier in the talk, Roach had discussed how various technology platforms allow us to present “edited” versions of ourselves…and advocates face-to-face conversations (and lots of them) as an essential way to get beyond that.</p>

<p>You can read the full transcript here:
<a href=“http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/HomepageNews/convocation.pdf[/url]”>http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/HomepageNews/convocation.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Or listen here:
<a href=“http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/HomepageNews/Elizabeth_Roach_Convocation.mp3[/url]”>http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/news/HomepageNews/Elizabeth_Roach_Convocation.mp3&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Wonderful talk! I had my whole family listen to it :)</p>

<p>To all of you that were so suportive while I was going through my meltdown the first week of school, I want you to know that things are much better now. After I changed my unrealistic expectations of talking with our D every day, things are much more relaxed. We are now only talking on the phone once a week (on weekends) and, because the conversation is not rushed, we have a wonderful time talking about anything and everything. She is doing great and she is very happy and now I’m relaxed and happy too :)</p>

<p>@Sunflower219…glad to hear that! Any reports from Frosty Run 2012?</p>

<p>I just caught up on this thread and totally understand where you are coming from! I have had difficulty letting go. I miss my son so much and find it hard to stay in touch. We have been talking on the weekends and texting here and there during the week. You know how boys can be! It so strange for me as my son attended my school for 10 years and was my “sidekick!” We are beyond happy with his assimilation and he is loving life at SAS. I have trust in the faculty and staff there but cannot help feeling a little left out. I know it is selfish and my husband is doing a better job than I am with this. I look forward to heading down to take him out next weekend for lunch and shopping. His advisor said it is more than OK to do so know as the “dust has settled.” Hopefully, that will be enough to get me through to parents weekend. I imagine it only gets easier? Such a wonderful opportunity for our children–I am so happy he made the choice to attend SAS and so is he! I guess I have to adjust to my "new normal. " Luckily, I have another son to worry about too. Good luck and have a great week. :-)</p>

<p>@SevenDad, the report on the Frosty Run…“SOOOO FUNNNN” and lots of pictures :)</p>

<p>@islandgirl1993, We visited our D this past Friday and took her out to dinner. The visit made all the difference. It was great to see how at home she looked.</p>