St Andrew's School, Delaware

<p>When I read the data sets from sources like that linked on #397 above, I can tell about the vintage from the tuition listed; that is a precise number in any given year that I am now very familiar with. (And the tuition given was for 2012-2013.) A recent alumnus/alumna wrote the following on that same site: “I love everything about this school, and it has been the happiest 4 years of my life. I highly recommend that you look into it more deeply. It may not have the name recognition of Andover or St. Paul’s but that is because very little emphasis is placed on branding or standardized testing scores, and more on producing inquisitive, intelligent and happy alumnae. There are some really inspirational teachers there”. </p>

<p>I heard one of the most influential of trustees say recently that the “branding” issue is front and center on his agenda. To what end, exactly, I am still unsure, but he seems to want more brand recognition at the very least.</p>

<p>With a sophomore who took a practice PSAT last October, and did very well, I am one who is now a little less vexed about figuring out the school’s approach to standardized testing. As the quote above reveals, and as corroborated from a discussion with the parent of a recent alumnus, the school does not go out of its way to provide SAT prep on campus. Links are furnished by CC to self-help resources (as stated in the published viewbook), and I am unaware of classroom work targeted for the SAT. </p>

<p>Also in the viewbook, the school writes, under “Examinations and Assessments”, that it is “the leading independent school in the country in the use of the College and Work Readiness Assessment (CWRA), an innovative written exam that eschews a traditional multiple-choice format.” There several more sentences following devoted to this test, and virtually nothing about the SAT. I know that Mr. Roach is a progressive independent educator much steeped in the writings of Ted Sizer and Grant Wiggins. “Authentic” assessment is a big deal, and I don’t think that he considers the SAT to be the final word. Does this mean Mr. Roach is nonplussed by the comparative results given in #400? Don’t really know, but he surely is confident about the graduates overall, and their matriculations seem fine. </p>

<p>I also don’t really know why the average scores are in the lower 1900s, but assume that other schools listed above, a.) provide more specific SAT prep, and b.) take fewer chances on kids who might test lower coming into the school, and still set a lower floor later on when the SATs are taken. If a school says that its median SSAT is 84%, as SAS does, that allows for however many admits who scored in the 50s or 60s. Maybe some of them don’t get a whole lot better in three years at performing on standardized multiple choice SATs. </p>

<p>Whatever the case, I can’t believe that the teaching at SAS is somehow inferior to that at TCDAMLE, certainly not based on just these SAT results. My two kids ('16 and '17) are learning a lot at SAS, and they do so readily, without complaining. They like the teaching (and teachers, perhaps more importantly), and they instantly figured out early in III Form that this is about far more than the memorization that made them so successful in middle school.</p>

<p>hogsark: Post your questions here if you feel comfortable doing so and I’ll PM you the answers. Or post comments to a few threads where you feel like you add your voice to get to 15 posts — which should allow you to “unlock” the PM feature.</p>

<p>Regarding the scores grid listed above: Does the 1915 average SAT (fairly close to Taft, no?) really concern anyone enough to knock SAS off of your “consider” or “apply to” lists? </p>

<p>If so, would knowing that my daughter who’s a student there scored well above the average listed for Exeter make you (or your parents) feel better?</p>

<p>Since my daughter is in her junior year I have been able to see the Naviance (the online tool many schools use to manage college process) data for kids from SAS. I won’t get into specifics other than saying you would not believe how many SAS kids are at Ivies right now…the number is far higher than I thought it would be.</p>

<p>Okay, let me try to be precise here. Our dilemma is, should DC wait one more year to give a shot on St Andrew, or should we take a package with another offer, most likely with some financial incentives. There are a lot of similarities between these two schools, however for all the research I’ve done, we as parents still prefer St Andrew better. </p>

<p>There are more other factors and personal details that we don’t feel comfortable to post online. BTW, I’ve just learned that you’re also from the same ethnic background. Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>@hogsark: Are you between waiting a year to apply for 9th grade and taking an 8th grade slot at a local day school or perhaps the 8th grade program at Groton? I’m unclear exactly what you are asking.</p>

<p>BTW, thanks for your kind words in post #398. We love SAS and are so thankful we put it on the “to consider/to apply” lists…due in no small part to the efforts of a former parent who posted under the screen name “ops”. Were it not for ops, we probably would have stuck with the usual New England suspects…so I guess I’m just paying forward what ops did for us.</p>

<p>We have hit the send button but nothing has happened? Help has our application been submitted? How will we know.</p>

<p>SevenDad, no the school under question is not as selective as Groton. And since it’s not set in stone yet, all we’ve sensed is a fairly favorable indication from the admission office. I guess we’ll just need to wait until March, then come back and weigh our options.</p>

<p>@stanford94: 7D1 didn’t apply electronically to SAS, so I have no idea what happens after you push the submit button. That said, I’m pretty sure most schools send a confirmation email. Best of luck…rooting for you (and all the other applicants).</p>

<p>SAS processes the app like an order, so you get an order confirmation email.</p>

<p>Wonderful service of Evensong at the National Cathedral in D.C. yesterday attended by Episcopalian school choirs to the tune of 300 kids. (npi) Beautiful space and acoustics, this is a terrific perk for those students who sing at places like EHS and SAS. Mr. Costa is the director of the St. Andrew’s Choral Scholars and communicates well with parents. He is currently organizing a tour for the group during spring break. Take a peek at the video, I even saw 7daughter! For those waiting on M10, this should take up a big chunk of that time . . . </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.nationalcathedral.org/exec/cathedral/mediaPlayer2013?MediaID=MED-6I8QR-LL000I&EventID=CAL-6GJ1A-B200OG[/url]”>http://www.nationalcathedral.org/exec/cathedral/mediaPlayer2013?MediaID=MED-6I8QR-LL000I&EventID=CAL-6GJ1A-B200OG&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>teddy100 as an SAS advocate who is close to many current SAS students, I would say that you would find SAS as academically challenging as most top NE schools. The fact that SAS is 100% boarding is one of the things that make it an exceptional experience with an incredible sense of community. I think this sense of community sets this gem apart. Admissions much tougher over last couple of years, as ops pointed out. Last year little, maybe zero movement off WL and fewer than normal spaces for incoming sophomores this year. Of course, a lovely campus and a very strong endowment enhance the experience as well.</p>

<p>I can’t agree more with what Charger78 has to say about Mr. Costa and the Choral Scholars program. I couldn’t make it to the National Cathedral, and was so glad that it was live streamed!</p>

<p>Charger, will you be there for the musical next weekend? I’ll keep an eye out.</p>

<p>Kiss Me, Kate. Lois Lane’s entourage is gonna rock. Will be staying overnight in Odessa on Saturday; possibly down on Friday too, just for the show! ~O) </p>

<p>Wish we could see it; daughter is a theater girl and we would like to know more about level of instruction/quality of experience there (in case she gets in). Please do report back!</p>

<p>@twinsmama: I don’t know if it is the caliber of kids who come in, or the training (probably a mix of both), but we thoroughly enjoyed the presentation of A Midsummer Night’s Dream" in the Fall. Also had the pleasure of sitting next to Ann Taylor (Director of the SAS Theater Program) at a fundraiser a few years ago and really enjoyed her company. Witty, funny, and gracious woman.</p>

<p>@Charger78: SevenMom and I could only shake our heads upon seeing 7D1 look into the camera at that one point in the livestream. That’s our girl! ;-P</p>

<p>As some of us have shared already, SAS sends out a newsletter to parents (and perhaps grandparents? – I know my in-laws get it) every Friday with notes from the week on campus. This past Friday’s edition contained a great email from a student to Headmaster Tad Roach.</p>

<p>I should put the email into context: Like many schools, SAS has “free days” given at the discretion of the Head. I think SPS calls theirs “Cricket”? SAS seems to get a few year, like the day after Fall Parents Weekend (which Tad has referred to as “the worst kept secret in SAS history”). It’s a day to catch up on sleep and work, etc.</p>

<p>Here is one student’s missive (names edited for privacy):</p>

<hr>

<p>Tad let the students know how tired he was of getting emails explaining why they needed a free day and promised a free day only if a student could explain why the student body didn’t need one. It was a sort of fairy tale declaration, but Louise M. ’14 was up to the challenge.</p>

<p>"Good day, good sir.</p>

<p>I’m not going to list reasons why or why not we should have a free day. Honestly, I know people who could and would take one, but would not go so low as to grovel for such a trifle as that. I know what you are thinking- “That is so not true! My St. Andreans are Masters of the Grovel, Kings of the Puppy-Eyes, and Heroes of Slumped, Passive Aggressive Position.” But wait! Such things are false! And I’d like you to know that the student body is going strong.</p>

<p>I mean, so what if Grace E. almost fell asleep during Noxontones? So what if Bertie M. never had time to take that study break to make cinnamon buns (correction-she had time, but I wasn’t invited)? So what if I cleaned my room all day and neglected… Hmm… So what if the Choral Scholars went on an 8 hour trip to some fancy cathedral in DC and spent most of their day standing (or sitting) ickily stagnant? So what if many seniors still have (let’s be honest here) 3 pages of their 8-10 page rough draft due tomorrow? Or if sophomores have yet to start their 5 page paper (proportionally equal in the time/stress required)? So what if my semi date (Colin) slept after dinner and through dessert? So what?! We are unphased, I tell you!</p>

<p>I’ll show you how we have remained so stoic: despite having tons of work, Colin and Chris organized and reffed (sp?) today for SAISL. The choral scholars had great fun in that fancy cathedral today, and Jamie was excited to see her little brother’s ex-girlfriend that she met there last year (see how we have learned to nurture our relationships)! Grace E. stuck it out through rehearsal and I think our last run-through was the best. Of what, you might ask? (Well, ehem, you may just find out later this week! Shh…) Reed and Doug looked great after their weekend of squash- I know they survived starvation only through that healthy give-and-take present between the girls’ and boys’ teams–Sara C. apparently gave them really good steak of some sort that lifted their spirits… Go Sara! …I cleaned my room today in “preparation” not “procrastination” for the week to come. Yes, that’s it, so I’m really better off now. I mean, hit me with Housemasters tomorrow!! They won’t know what got 'em!</p>

<p>See, we are ready for tomorrow. St. Andreans are tough, as Hick Rowland '58, reminded Elsa, Chris, and me of Friday night. He so fondly spoke of the time he (all 68 lbs of him) walked back from town through the knee-high cornstalks, carrying an illegal six-pack… of rootbeer!!! He remembers that trek as the most physically exhausting thing he as ever had to do… And of course, when he got back, there was a reward for his efforts! He drank his rootbeer in peace :)… Oh wait, no, that’s not how it goes… At the end, his sixth-form advisor confiscated the rootbeer and made him come into his room periodically to watch him guzzle it down. So… If you think a about it, this is just like that!! We are battered and bruised from this place, but in the end, we know there will be no reward! Tomorrow, we will wake, slowly, and as we unfortunately become more and more aware of the day, we will climb out of bed, though our burdens remain heavy, and we will plod through the weird ice snow and into the realities of our fears. Because we have no reason to expect a free day, like Hick had no reason to expect that he could keep the rootbeer. We have evolved instead to expect the spectacle of the guzzling- the guzzling of our dreams! …And that’s the way St. Andreans truly roll, Mr. Roach. We have been since 1955, when Hick Rowland was a mere second-former (pause for the “Aww”). Happy Sunday evening, and say hello to Mrs. Roach for me!</p>

<p>:) </p>

<h2>Louise"</h2>

<p>Needless to say, the kids got their free day.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, the production of Kiss Me, Kate has not been put up on Livestream. It was a great piece of work that reflected well on what is happening at SAS. The school community is going to miss the lead performer next year, senior Megan Hasse. Not to take anything away from the other principals, or Mrs. Taylor, but Megan has spoiled us. She is that very rare artist who can sing, dance and act all at a very high level. Like exceptional athletes, she has made everybody else on stage with her better. Bravo!</p>

<p>Prospective families are urged to check out the unscripted, though sometimes “traditional”, moments that schools capture and make available publicly. The social media is linked through the web site, most often. Here is a “rite of passage” for seniors taking a humanities (interdisciplinary) course at SAS, and it gives a sense of their spirit and how the classroom may operate for these teachers:</p>

<p><a href=“Students Celebrate Submitting Their Humanities Exhibition Papers - YouTube”>Students Celebrate Submitting Their Humanities Exhibition Papers - YouTube;

<p>I may have mentioned this before, but a recent update on the Choral Scholars Spring Break tour raised a point that I think speaks volumes about SAS’ impact/impression on families.</p>

<p>The school has what seems, at least to me, a freakishly high rate of sibling attendance. </p>

<p>The Choral Scholars are touring a few southern states right now and staying at home of current/past SAS parents…and the update (sent to parents of all Choral Scholars, whether child is on tour or not) listed the St. Andreans of each host family. Most had multiple kids go through SAS…some have sent 4 kids to the school! Which IMO, says a lot about a family’s belief in the mission/ethos/quality of education/experience.</p>

<p>Wishing all applicants in the current cycle large and happy envelopes come Monday!</p>

<p>If you or your parents have any questions about the school…feel free to post or PM me. In addition to Charger78, there are a number of active/semi-active parents on the forum.</p>

<p>Bumping in case any admitted students have questions pre or post revisit.</p>

<p>Don’t make me cry. :-)</p>