St Andrew's School, Delaware

<p>Charger78 wrote:“Two of the boys had been unhappy boarding for a long time…”, presumably 3 years since they were all juniors at the time of the incident? As parent of a prospective student who favors SAS at this point, I have to really question the underlying reason why. Would you mind shedding a bit more light if possible? </p>

<p>To the best of my limited (very limited) understanding about the two boys, one had struggled to adjust academically since the freshman year, and was able to do enough to pass through, but I don’t ever think really bought in, or perhaps found success in, that very important aspect of SAS. The other boy left and I was simply told that he had been “unhappy”. I know that he played a Varsity sport. The point being, every boarding school has some kids who arrive, and maybe from the start, maybe further down the road, they come to realize that they are not where they really want to be. There are stories posted on other threads that describe the experiences of some families in this regard. A kid may never get into any disciplinary trouble, or they may act up as a consequence. Either way, they eventually decline to reenroll. Or they figure it out and make their peace. Attrition is a fact of life (at day schools as well as boarding) and it results from many reasons, just as 7Dad noted in #518 (changed financial picture, family illness, lots of things come to mind). I don’t have any special insight to offer that explains something identifiable or specific about these situations besides the above.</p>

<p>@hogsark, I think this is why all concerned, not least of whom are the AOs, try to determine if the “fit” is really there. Even then, a human admissions process is necessarily imperfect. </p>

<p>I have two kids at SAS, and our family loves everything about the school. When we were building our list of schools to visit, the passionate support of parents in this thread inspired us to put the school on our short list. Since then, there have been a few points in the thread where discordant voices indicated their kids had a negative experience at SAS, or acknowledged that not everyone is a perfect fit, and of course, there is some attrition. </p>

<p>I just want to make sure prospective parents aren’t put off, or get the wrong impression. I don’t believe those few discordant notes reflect any problem with the school itself; I wouldn’t change a thing about it. I suspect that the few kids who weren’t happy at SAS would not have been any happier at any other boarding school. [I’m not saying it’s the ideal fit for everyone… just that most kids would find a happy home at SAS. The few who are truly unhappy there generally have issues they would take with them anywhere]. And, fwiw, I’ve heard that the overall attrition rate is lower than any of it’s peer boarding schools. </p>

<p>Let me reiterate a common theme throughout this thread: The SAS community is full of passionate, brilliant people dedicated to a common ethos and fully engaged in creating a powerful, transformative educational experience. The school is constantly engaged in healthy self-examination, and is always striving to improve the fulfillment of their mission (e.g., this blog post: [The</a> Strength of Our Core Mission]( <a href=“http://noxontownnotes.com/2012/03/19/the-strength-of-our-core-mission-in-2012]The”>http://noxontownnotes.com/2012/03/19/the-strength-of-our-core-mission-in-2012)).</p>

<p>Kids love this school… Every time I visit, I see happy and engaged kids who clearly love the experience and each other. They greet each other warmly and with hugs, they laugh easily, and are charming to talk with. When life provides the inevitable hard knocks and kids are hurt or upset, the community immediately reaches out to provide love and support.</p>

<p>Parents love this school… We love to visit, and feel welcomed as part of the extended community. Teachers share humorous anecdotes about our kids. The headmaster provides truly inspiring and uplifting talks. And, in chatting with the other parents, I never hear complaints or grievances about systemic issues. We all marvel at what an incredible institution SAS is, and how relentlessly and flawlessly they execute their mission. I always say they “walk the talk” better than any organization I know (so if you like the talk… you’ll love the school).</p>

<p>As long as I’m on my soapbox, let me address a couple concerns I had when I was a prospective parent: </p>

<p>Is the education “top tier?” My kids are really strong academically: they each had 98-99% GPAs from a strong private middle school, and their average SSAT subtest score was north of 780. Our first (who had a broader search), had acceptances from many of the most frequently discussed “big name” acronym schools, but our family unanimously chose SAS as the best school for her. I can state unequivocally that SAS has provided as strong an education as she would have received anywhere. The faculty are brilliant and passionate mentors, who tailor the material to provide challenge for even the most advanced students. The kids come out with a great liberal arts education, and prepared with the tools of scholarship to thrive in the most demanding of college environments (and they have a fantastic college counseling office, with great placement rates). </p>

<p>Is the school too small? I thought it was we we started our search. It hasn’t been a problem, and it has some significant benefits. I think it fosters deeper connection, greater respect for diversity, and authentic presentation of self. These kids know that when inevitable relational conflict occurs, they need to work it out respectfully (you can’t burn bridges, and then go hang with some other clique). Subsequently they really get to know each other well, and paradoxically wind up with a lot more close friends than they generally would at a much larger school. The size also means that all the faculty know all of the kids, and are really looking out for them. As an added perk, it’s easier to make it to varsity athletics (yet the sports teams do quite well, given the size).</p>

<p>Is it too religious? We weren’t looking for a religious school. Non-Christians are perfectly comfortable at SAS, there is no pressure and no proselytizing. The adults never bring up religion outside of chapel (or the sophomore survey class: History and Literature of Religious Thought). Kids will occasionally discuss personal beliefs with each other, but differences are respected. In practice, the impact of the school’s religious roots is a commitment to intentionally fostering the ethical and moral development of the students. Adolescence is a time when kids reflect on the values of their family of origin and the culture at large, and (consciously or not) make choices about what values to internalize. In this period they are most susceptible to influence from the value systems of their peers and mentors. There is no place I would rather have my kids soaking up the values than SAS. The school cultivates students with compassion, perseverance, integrity, and a commitment to service (working for peace and justice, as well as the stewardship of our planet). They’re just remarkably nice kids. </p>

<p>If you’re a prospective family (interested enough to read this far into my treatise) you owe it to yourselves to actually visit SAS. The initial tour and interview is a very warm and welcoming experience, you’ll be glad you came. The educational experience is challenging & demanding, but balanced by a supportive and nurturing community. It really is a special place. </p>

<p>If you are fortunate enough to have an offer from SAS and another school, be sure to attend the revisit days. Have your family spread out and attend different classes, speak with all the current students, parents, and faculty that you can. Rest assured that at SAS, what you see is what you get. Then, follow your heart. </p>

<p>Even if you’re reading this thread years from now, please feel free to PM me with any questions (my youngest doesn’t graduate ’till 2018, and I’ll be happy to share our experience even after that). </p>

<p>tl;dr—SAS is a fantastic school with a unique ethos. If the content of the admissions materials resonates with you, you owe it to yourselves to visit. </p>

<p>This question might seem out of the blue: was SAS the school where they filmed “Dead Poets Society?”</p>

<p>@Maroon19: Yes, it is.</p>

<p>I’m new to this board, but really interested in all viewpoints. Looking at SAS for 2015 entry, so eager to hear all input</p>

<p>@Britmom5, Try posting in other forums or threads so that you have enough posts to meet the threshold and can pm people directly. Scrolling on the past pages of this thread, you will find many parents with a wide range of opinions about SAS. A good number are alumni families who might have a different perspective from the current families; they will probably respond to your personal messages. “Quenn” has been quiet for a long time, but s/he has/had children at several different highly selective BS and is well informed about the comparative strengths and weaknesses of them. Not too many current students are posting now, but Grisom123 is a IV Former, as is Athenarocks. ludicous and athena102 are VI Formers. These students might respond to a pm as I think they will get an email duplicate.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Tad Roach has delivered a powerful address to the SAS community directly speaking about issues related to the events in Charlottesville, Virginia, and Ferguson, Missouri. This webpage has a link to a .pdf copy of his Founders Day speech, and maybe there is a podcast as well, I’ve forgotten. The headmaster’s remarks are another of those very transparent representations of what we mean by the St. Andrew’s ethos and its “counter-culturalism”. I suppose that if you found yourself substantially disagreeing, or disquieted even that such is brought to the students’ attention, then you’d likely find a better “fit” at another BS. </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.standrews-de.org/news/detail.aspx?pageaction=ViewSinglePublic&LinkID=1838&ModuleID=22&NEWSPID=1[/url]”>http://www.standrews-de.org/news/detail.aspx?pageaction=ViewSinglePublic&LinkID=1838&ModuleID=22&NEWSPID=1&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I personally knew Peter D’Agostino (Class President of 2013 at SAS, if I remember correctly…?) If you’ve been following the news, you would know about his horrible death at UVA. I knew him and his sister through camp. His family has been criticized for “shipping their kids off to boarding school and camp” every year, insinuating that it lead to his suicide. While I can’t vouch for how much Peter loved SAS (Although I’m sure he loved it a lot), I can vouch that he loved Winona and Wyonegonic with all his heart. He was a great kid, and I’m sure that SAS only helped in making him the guy that we knew him to be.
Sorry, I’ve been meaning to get this off my chest for a while, and there didn’t seem to be anywhere else to put it. </p>

<p>@HistoryGeek40‌: There was a special chapel held in November to celebrate the life of Peter D’Agostino, as most of the upperclassmen would have known him — and some fairly well (it is a school of only 300 after all). From what I have heard, he was a great person, all around nice guy.</p>

<p>Here’s an excerpt from Headmaster Tad Roach’s remarks at that service:</p>

<p>"[Peter] sought to master the little things in community that make all the difference – he learned everyone’s name; he honored the work, the life, the individuality of each staff member, faculty member, and student. He found meaning, hope, and connection in relationships, friendships, and commitments to causes larger than himself. He welcomed students, listened to students, honored students, inspired students. He expressed gratitude and appreciation to everyone in the community who joined him in the strengthening of [our] culture."</p>

<p>In other news, we attended the Lessons & Carols service over the weekend. Obviously not for people who consider the chapel program at SAS to be a minus, but a wonderful service. Readers from every form, plus alum, staff, teachers, a Trustee (one of the duPonts) and headmaster Tad Roach — plus wonderful music by the Choral Scholars. Seeing this group assembled by candlelight in the stairs leading down the the darkened chapel at the beginning of the service was a really memorable image. For those who are unfamiliar with the layout of the school, the chapel at St. Andrews is in the lower level of the main school building, Founders Hall.</p>

<p>I encourage all parents who can spare the time to attend the service in future years.</p>

The Dance program is growing by leaps and bounds at St. Andrew’s. Students recently produced their own show, with dancers both formally within the program and others. The audience, of mainly peers, was, as always, supportive and enthusiastic.

It was live streamed at:
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/158104/events/3838129

Another news flash. Student walking through the woods around Noxontown Pond recently excavated a piece of petrified wood currently estimated to be 10,000 years old! Expecting to do some tests on it in the bio lab. Scientists get their high jinx on at SAS!

Man, what kind of crazy student walks through the woods around Noxontown Pond (I’ve heard from a “trusted source” that the dig site was near the banks of the neighboring Appoqunimink River, btw) and spends a few free afternoons laboriously excavating a piece of petrified wood?

Must be a second semester senior with too much time on her/his hands…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Is SAS looking for students with niches or students who do a lot things? What about a student who has a niche but wants to do more things?

GryffinHunter: Welcome to the forum and thanks for your interest in the great little school on Noxontown Pond.

It’s often been remarked that smaller schools like SAS (among others) value and may even expect/need kids to do a lot…to engage in the life of the school on several fronts. It is not uncommon to see a strong athlete take to the stage (to either sing, act, dance, or play an instrument). I’m pretty sure that one of the dance superstars last year went out for Soccer for the first time last year and played JV.

I know another kid who has played pretty much every sport offered at the thirds (think of it as Junior Junior Varsity) level…just to try it. The SAS community is very much about trying things, risking and perhaps even failing…but in a very supportive environment. No one would question someone wanting to try something they’ve never done before…in fact, they’d most likely encourage it.

My comment about small schools expecting kids to be multifaceted really stems from the fact that if people only did one thing, they might not be able to field a team in certain sports in certain years. This Fall, football was perilously close to that…but boys (including Charger78’s son) stepped up and tried something new. Was the team going to beat the Odessa Permian Panthers (TX)? No. But I think they all had a great time and forged great friendships…and even won the Cannon Game (vs. in-state rival Tatnall).

Thanks for the reply @SevenDad‌.
I was wondering if you knew much about the theatre program at SAS? On my tour I wasn’t able to get a lot of information on the program.

What do you want to know. My D (current senior) is home on break right now and I could ask her. She had a small part in a production last year.

Ann Taylor, an alum, is the director of the theater program. I sat at a table with her at a fundraiser a few years ago and found her funny and charming. The kids seem to love her.

I saw a production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream (last year?) and thought it was great. They just put on Godspell and my daughter reports it was also great.

Of course there are some folks who are in every program (because that’s their main niche and they are good at it/enjoy it), but again, there is an opportunity for pretty much everyone to be involved in a production if they want to be.

How many productions do they do a year?
Do they have any student-directed productions?
Does theater take up the time for a sport?
Is there a community of kids who just do a LOT of theater?

I answered one of your questions (about the core of “theater kids”).

• Three plays and one musical (plus a couple of dance productions)
  • There are occasionally student-written/directed/acted "One Acts" — a series of short plays put on in one night
  • There was a recent student choreographic showcase (second year in a row...Dance program under director Avi Gold is only about 4 years old and is quite good)
  • Yes, theater (especially a lead) would take the place of sport (for one season) or other extracurricular...but you have a small part and do something else. Daughter reports you can also take theater as a class.