St Andrew's School, Delaware

SAS deposits snail mail in advance to arrive on M10, so some routes actually will arrive on M9, being a Monday this year. (Was our actual experience, across the river, a while back.) I enjoyed handling the paper letter with the kids after the postman cameth.

The school’s approach to technology may seem antiquated, but it is undergoing evaluation and some significant changes are a definite for the fall. Others will continue to evolve on Tad Roach’s unhurried but thoughtful mien. ~O)

Off topic but what’s the St. Andrew’s mascot?

@jump1234: Well, technically I think it’s a griffon, but when you cheer (say at regatta), you scream “Go Saints!”

FWIW, school paper is called The Cardinal.

@Charger78‌ Is one of those signifigant changes going to be wi-fi? While I was on my tour I think it was mentioned, but I know that they have dial-up in the library. Do you know if the wi-fi will be all over campus or just in the library?

BTW, it’s not “dial up” in the library…that implies some seriously out of date tech. It’s relatively high-speed ethernet in the library computers and in the common rooms (kids plug their laptops into a spare ethernet cable or use the “house computer”…usually an iMac in our experience).

[QUOTE=""]

The school’s approach to technology may seem antiquated, but it is undergoing evaluation and some significant changes are a definite for the fall.

[/QUOTE]

SAS retro is part of its charm and maybe not unintentional.

^^ yes, my understanding is that there will be wi-fi across the campus

don’t think that means students or teachers will be strolling around chattering on their smart phones or looking up the scores from last night’s games (nor Yik-Yaking)

The “Cardinals” dates from Walden Pell’s early days and I think I’ve seen it on the baseball jerseys. The silhouette of a cardinal was on some of the early ironwork at the driveway entrance. Not sure when “Saints” became more common usage.

If you search the SAS library’s online archives for [“A Guide to Sacred Symbols at St. Andrew’s School”]( http://libraryarchives.standrews-de.org/files/2008/05/16/full_text_0.pdf) you read this about the mascot (p.5):

“The Cardinal was chosen as the School’s mascot because it was the first bird the Headmaster-elect [Walden Pell] saw when he and his bride visited the site of the School in August 1929.” As noted, everyone just calls the teams “saints.” As my daughter said, it’s just so much easier to shout “Go Saints!”

The same tract (p.10) also clarifies that the critter crawling across the column in the seal is not a Griffon (it has no wings!), it is a dragon, representing Delaware (and the ionic column itself represents that pillar of society, the duPont family)

Good luck! I’m wishing all applicants a nice big envelope in the mail tommorrow :smiley:

@seekers: So happy to get schooled on the dragon! When I got home last night I saw the SAS bumper sticker on our fridge and saw the wingless creature and the pillar (the latter really for the first time after all these years). FWIW, I prefer the shield with “1929” on it.

st. andrew’s letter still hasn’t arrived yet for me :frowning:

@jump1234 Neither for us across the country. so we are assuming it’s not a good news. oh well.

Will keep fingers crossed that USPS is late with acceptances, @jump1234‌ and @payn4ward‌ ! However, payn, am so glad it appears there will be some choice for your family, given the Berkshire and Mercersburg announcements.

Waitlisted again. SAS is such an amazing school.

SAS’ loss, @stargirl3‌, if they don’t pluck you from that WL. Am hopeful you will get some good news from the remaining three (as I write). And any shortfall from Solebury, we will see what we can do by crowdfunding among your CC followers (and more)! Carry on, kiddo, we’re still with you.

ugh :frowning:

just got the decision email from st. andrew’s!

Bumping to invite all admitted families to ask Charger78, seekers, or myself any questions about SAS leading into (and after) revisits. PM is fine if you don’t want to provide too much info publicly.

Thanks for the welcome @SevenDad and @Charger78!

We are thrilled that DS will be attending SAS next fall! It is a truly unique place and we look forward to seeing how the next three years unfold. As we prepare for the move to Middletown, there are a few questions that have come up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

1. When/How does SAS administer placements tests/determine placement for math and language classes?
  2. Does SAS pair new IV formers with returning students to help them “learn the ropes,” or are roommate assignments random?
  3. What are the “must have items” for the dorm room?
  4. How/When do you find out about summer homework?

Welcome!

1. last year we received email from registrar with the placement tests May 20.
  2. not positive, but i think they are generally paired with returning.
  3. the [Parent’s Center](http://www.standrews-de.org/Parents/index.aspx) tab on the website has a link to the [Suggested Packing List](http://www.standrews-de.org/data/files/gallery/ContentGallery/Suggested_Packing_List.pdf).
  4. Summer homework firms up in June, and the school will point you to the link (probably on Parent’s Center too). It will probably be www.standrews-de.org/summerwork, where last year’s is still visible if you want a sense of it.
  5. feel free to pm me with any questions. BTW, I have a swimmer in class of '18… The boys placed fifth in states this year :smiley:

The revisit completely confirmed our decision to send DS to St. Andrew’s! My husband and son had already met Tad Roach but this was my first experience hearing him speak in person and I was most impressed. The faculty panels were an even bigger selling point. I was blown away by the passion for teaching, coaching and mentoring teens expressed by both seasoned and first year faculty!

DS enjoyed his host student and the classes he attended. He felt comfortable participating in the class discussions and LOVED the teaching style! We met both the XC and swim coaches and quite a few members of both teams. If allowed, I think he would pack up and move in this week ; )