St Andrew's School, Delaware

We had a very energizing and inspirational trip to SAS last weekend, attending the “Art of Healing Symposium.” These annual symposia are how the school puts it’s own unique stamp on Homecoming. To quote the invite: “Every year the St. Andrew’s Women’s Network seeks to bring alumnae back to campus to reconnect with current students and with each other […in an] exciting weekend of connection, learning, and inspiration.” This year’s organizing theme was the Art of Healing (in all its forms); prior years have explored Education in the 21st Century, Women in Business and Leadership, and an Arts Festival.

Everyone in the extended community (alumni, parents, and friends) was invited down for a Friday night dinner, a brilliant keynote address (also attended by the entire student body), and a lovely reception at the headmaster’s house. The following morning there was a nice continental breakfast, another funny and inspirational keynote address, and a distinguished alumni panel fielding questions. Then the student body and visitors divided up into more than 3 dozen (!) small group workshops (each on a different topic) led by Alumni & Parents. These were followed by lunch for all, and finally cheering on the Saints at the homecoming football game (with snacks & hot cider provided). In other years, this would have led up to a Homecoming Dance, but this year students chose to postpone the dance so the entire community could go cheer on the soccer team in the second round of the DIAA tournament.

The school has a wonderfully talented and impressively accomplished alumni base, that is delighted to have the opportunity come back and share their wit and wisdom with the current students. The keynotes, panel, and workshops were packed with sage advice and inspirational anecdotes (with powerful messages of passion, resilience, empathy, service, etc.). And, as always, the students at SAS made the most of the opportunity. They were thoughtful, connected, and engaged. They asked insightful questions, and expressed genuine gratitude for the lessons offered.

The schedule provided a perfect flow of structured and unstructured activities. Stimulating talks alternated with plenty of time to mingle and connect with everyone in the community. Following visits like this, we feel uplifted and energized. We also have a profound sense of gratitude, not only that our children will have a lifelong connection to this incredible place, but that we parents are embraced as part of the community as well.

SAS posted this video yesterday. A touching reminder of the “ethos” that permeates the school. Proud as ever to be part of the family.

https://vimeo.com/147460213

Headmaster Roach’s letter to the SAS community in response to recent College Admissions report:

"January 29, 2016
Dear Parents,

I attach a new essay for you, written in conversation with a new national report on college admission.

Best,
Tad

'Making Caring Common'

The Harvard Graduate School of Education recently published “Making Caring Common,” a report designed to inspire innovation and reform in the college admissions process in America. The report is an important document for schools, teachers, students, and parents to read, for in many ways the voices of college admissions leaders and professionals join together in a recognition that this process has ultimately undermined civic engagement, community service, and academic engagement in schools throughout the country. Essentially “Making Caring Common” argues that the college admissions process privileges personal, individualistic success over the cultivation of student concern for others, responsibility for community life, and the common good.

This report has not emerged out of nowhere – we in the world of secondary education have both celebrated the opening of American colleges and universities to a broad and diverse admissions pool, and at the same time watched with dismay and concern the powerful development of college admissions madness and anxiety that have damaged schools, distorted the educational process of promising students, and left parents with pervasive feelings of anxiety and fear.

Of course, there was a better way to honor the enlightened world of 21st century college admissions: schools and colleges could have celebrated the new diversity and strength of the vast American college and university system and focused their energy, creativity, and resources on teaching, learning, and civic leadership and engagement.

Instead, private schools embraced anxiety, fear, and strategy, opening up both the relentless pursuit of a culture of perfection and an industry of private consultants and specialized tutors. The colleges in turn worshipped the rankings created by U.S. News & World Report and sought to drive applications, selectivity, yield to new levels. The results of this madness are clear: “Making Caring Common” declares that the college admissions process has contributed to the effective undermining of the promise of liberal education and citizenship.

None of our schools has resisted the pull of the college admissions siren, but St. Andrew’s has worked very hard to define a better way. We learned, early in the college admissions madness, that the way to liberate students to do their best work was to focus our attention on academic engagement, collaboration, problem solving, exploration, and the cultivation of curiosity. We refused to play the game of superficiality and strategy and instead asked our students what they were going to do, what they were going to pursue, what they were going to fight for in college. We reminded the students of the remarkable expansion of great colleges throughout the country, and we worked very hard to distinguish what gaming the system is and what true liberal arts engagement looks like.

In so doing, our students have moved into outstanding and highly selective colleges and universities across the country and flourished, led, engaged, and defended the values parents and St. Andrew’s taught them. The moment we focused on authentic citizenship, authentic engagement, authentic work, our students soared and moved creatively and responsibly forward.

Now, “Making Caring Common” makes the case that the college admissions process can play a role in the national attempt to move Americans, and American students in particular, towards a new (or old) definition of civic engagement, citizenship, and responsibility. The report argues that the college admissions process should be “a rite of passage,” a moment in an adolescent’s life when he/she moves from one level of recognition, engagement, and responsibility to another. The report argues that the college admissions process can “reward” citizenship, habits of generosity, civility, sensitivity, service, and collaboration. The report argues that the college admissions process should encourage students to follow their intellectual passions and reject the common perceived wisdom that the best way to get into a highly selective college is to take as many AP/IB/advanced classes as possible. The report urges colleges to consider making standardized tests optional, to articulate more clearly the value of standardized testing (if used) within the admissions process, and to develop more clear, coherent, and transparent ways of sharing how standardized testing predicts student academic performance in college.

The report is smart, persuasive, articulate, and intriguing, and I, of course, agree with virtually all innovations, changes, and changes in focus. We at St. Andrew’s have charted this course ourselves both because our mission rejected the madness and because our students taught us that they flourished under educational opportunities that were intelligent, responsible, and creative.

However, I am uncomfortable with college admissions setting up guidelines, expectations for community service, character, and leadership. I cringe when I read that the process seeks “to reward” human excellence. I find the college process to be a very poor way to coach a new generation of leaders. For despite the report’s condemnation of gaming (the pursuit of luxury community service activities, the pointless accumulation of extracurricular activities, the handing over of the application process to consultants and/or parents, the investment in the lucrative test prep/tutoring industry), the fact remains that competition will bring strategy, will bring us to a new world of outsiders trying to teach students how to appear to be civically engaged. It is painful enough to watch consultants undermine education. What will they do to leadership, service, empathy, and hope?

Families and schools teach character every day; we seek to define our cultures, our commitment to the public good, our spirit of inquiry, goodness, and discernment. We do this not for a reward, for our application, for a strategy, but because it is what human beings are called to do, because the only hope for ourselves and our future is to cultivate grace, goodness, and kindness."

I agree because then we might see Kumon Kindness Center sprawling all over the cities. And No, it wasn’t meant to be a joke.

I’d like to give a shout out to the boys swim team that came in 3rd in the state championships! (The girls came in a very respectable 11th.) Considering that the school is one of the smallest in the state, the fact that they can rise to such heights in competition is fantastic. It speaks to their ethos of hard work, determination, and resilience. And the camaraderie and sportsmanship the Saints display are consistently inspiring and heartwarming. Go Saints!

@seekers Thanks for the shout out to the SAS swimmers! NCSwimkid told me that this is the team’s best finish in school history : )!! He has had a wonderful year and is dropping more time in his events with the outstanding SAS coaches than he did as a year round swimmer at home. The seniors, the coaches, the trainers and the entire team have helped make his first year at St. Andrews everything we could have hopped for and more. Truly a wonderful group of young men and women! I was there to see them win conference, my husband and older son were there to see the 3rd place finish at the state meet yesterday.

I am quite proud of the teams’ 3rd and 11th place finishes, but also equally proud of the sportsmanship I witnessed at the conference meet. A swimmer from a rival school set a new conference record and received a huge round of applause from the Saints swimmers. Class, pure class!

Now, if only his swim coaches could get the same results out of him in math class…le sigh ; )

There are no AP classes at SAS. So I’d like to know if upper class students(and graduates) really don’t take AP tests. Just want to know if DS is going to have to spend precious breaks self studying. My instinct is to say forget those tests but don’t want to give him the wrong advice. Would love to hear what others have done.

Juniors are all encouraged to take the AP Lit test. Mine also took the AP Calc BC test. She did not put extra study time in, did not purchase a test prep book. She took them cold, armed only with the preparation her classes had given her, and walked away with two 5’s. YMMV.

I went to another BS, so it might be different at SAS. However, my own experience mirrors @seekers child. I took several AP exams with faculty encouragement, but spent little to no time outside of class preparing for them.

Great to hear that they can test with minimal prep. Is that true for science Advance study courses too?

AS Science courses alone are not good prep for the AP or SAT subject tests. Those do require additional study with prep books to do very well (you can get a middling-average score without prep, but what’s the point?). It has to do with the nature of AP breadth and shallowness… and the reason schools are moving away from AP. AS courses do not “teach to the test” for sciences. I can’t speak to other subjects (e.g., Languages), but the teachers can.

Just to be clear, and amplify on seekers’ comments, the Advanced Studies (“AS”) classes at SAS, like those at some of the other top boarding schools, serve the same function in college admissions as the AP courses taken elsewhere. They demonstrate rigor on the transcript and are taken for that purpose, not to earn college credits early and/or skip college courses. English classes do prepare some in V Form for the AP Literature exam, which I think that a majority take. While our son’s AP exam result was either self-reported on the Common App or added to the school transcript, the schools he applied to did not officially take it into consideration for admission purposes. Since it was consistent with all other relevant metrics, it couldn’t have hurt, and I guess that that is the idea for including it.

Be very clear with your child’s science and math teachers at SAS what SAT II or AP testing they recommend for your student as an individual. If the child will not take the initiative on this, then the parent may want to email, or step in.

Surprised that fellow SAS parents have not posted about this great video featuring Maggie Rogers, SAS Class of 2012 (I think?):

https://youtu.be/G0u7lXy7pDg?t=18m15s

Maggie was a standout singer-songwriter-banjo player in her time at SAS, and it’s been interesting to see where her journey with music has taken her. Song is amazing. Would not be surprised to see her signed by Pharrell.

Wow, seven dad, thanks for sharing that incredibly special video! What an amazingly talent and grounded young woman. And to be sitting 18 inches from Pharrell and sharing and discussing her craft! I’m going to share her name with my kids, They’ll love her music.

I love the expressions on Pharrell’s face while he’s listening. He’s like daaammmmnnnn and I bet he was sitting there thinking I need to sign this girl.

She’s cute, too, which certainly won’t hurt her career.

@dos: She used to have much shorter hair when she was at SAS, so her look has changed, but yes, certainly photogenic!

Glad you liked the music! Honestly, part of my motivation in sharing this is to get back to my “stump speech” that you don’t have to go to a HADES school or a HYP college to enjoy success (however you define it) in life.

What a great video, SevenDad, thanks for posting. I remember Maggie really being a VI Form leader bringing joyfulness and inclusiveness with her music that spring of 2012.

Below is the Welcome video for those admitted in 2016. Prospective families for 2017 may find it interesting, as the narration is by the current school co-president, who arrived in 2014 as a new international junior (V Form). Most leadership positions for the school community as a whole have a 50/50 mix of male/female.
https://vimeo.com/157299603

That [video of Maggie with Pharrell](Pharrell Williams Masterclass with Students at NYU Clive Davis Institute - YouTube) was great fun to watch! Maggie is absolutely amazing and her accomplishments are all her own. But when Pharrell was giving his notes, and was so admiring of the “frank” quality of Maggie’s music, and how open, honest, and unique it was, I did think that was in some small way a reflection on the culture at St Andrew’s. It is a place that actively and intentionally cultivates authenticity in its students. As my daughter put it, it is for people “who are looking for a close-knit, supportive community; who want to be themselves, with no pressure to put pretenses.” It is a place where someone with a unique style and a distinctive voice (like Maggie) is incredibly well supported in the pursuit of her passion. And it is a place where individuals may discover that style or voice for themselves.

Continuing on that theme… the [Friday News From Campus](http://www.standrews-de.org/Parents/friday-news-from-campus/index.aspx) shared this:

"We let [Maggie] know we played this video at School Meeting last week, and in a return to email… she said, “It’s impossible to put into words what the support of this community has meant to me over the past few days, but really it’s the past eight years. St. Andrew’s for me is a place and a community that dared me to experiment, asked for me to rise to every challenge, and expected me to be no one else but myself. It taught me that if you’re open and honest and work hard every day, that you will inherently do the work you are called to do and that itself has the power to change the world. Sending all my love to you guys. Keep supporting each other in everything you do - it’s the Saints way. I wouldn’t be me without my classmates. Have an extra cookie for me at lunch.”

You know it is Spirit Week at SAS when your son calls home on a Thursday and asks for your Amazon Prime password so he can order a unique “outfit”. I seriously hope I don’t live to regret giving it to him or that his dad finds out!

Here is a recent article in the Wall Street Journal about another SAS alum, the Facebook elder statesman behind the ‘like’ button. “Saint Andrew’s was like Hogwarts before there was a Hogwarts.”
http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-34-a-facebook-elder-statesman-1461533487