St. Mark's vs. Worcester Academy

Hi - Got accepted at St. Mark’s and Worcester Academy (9th grade), with WL at MX, Nobles, Groton - all day spots. Assuming WL does not move, seeking help and guidance to choose between St. Mark’s and Worcester. I like both the schools and both are 20min from home. The only difference for me seems like Worcester has more AP curriculum and is better match on my sports (Swim and Volleyball, both not offered at St. Mark’s), though seems like St. Mark’s has better Matriculation, based on school profiles and better infrastructure. Please help me with your experiences or thoughts.

If you’re talking about college matriculation, I feel like you should know that is isn’t as important as you think. Worcester Academy will still be providing you a college counseling program that will place you in a college where you will feel happy.

What will you do for sports at St. Marks if they don’t have the sports you already participate in? Are you able to attend revisit days?

I would definitely recommend revisit days for both if you aren’t already. We applied to both of those schools (ultimately going elsewhere) and I feel like they are VERY different in terms of the campus, community and also the SMS Saturday morning classroom requirement. I agree with the above on sports, as well…depending on the sport, both of these schools have something to offer, but the coaches, team success, make-up of rosters a very different from sport to sport. WA has some amazing teams (soccer, basketball, etc.) that recruit a different level of top talent over SMS. WA also allows PG year athletes, which definitely can impact rosters. Lots to think about!

2 Likes

I understand that sports is mandatory at St. Mark’s and I don’t want to do 5 sports with 3 at school and 2 more at club. I am looking forward to the revisit day.

Saturday classes are now greatly reduced in number to allow more Saturday morning sleep-ins. Day students thrive at SMS (I always call it a day school with borders). Academics are great and the only reason to worry about APs is if you are applyng to college abroad. Colleges love SMS without the AP classes. And kids still take the AP exams and do great. But the real reason colleges love SMS is the college advising office. NOTHING tops it. We have other kid at Deerfield, and SMS college advising leaves Deerfield way behind. Enjoy revisit. You are either a “fit” or you are not. One son loved, other refused to apply.

4 Likes

Seems the consensus is Independent schools are moving away from APs anyway. I also talked to a friend who works at a Mass State College and she says they are not impressed with APs anymore and they are not as important as years passed. Perhaps the Private/Ivy colleges place more emphasis on AP, but it was interesting to hear an English Professor’s take on AP classes in high school. There are some older threads that talk about APs and college matriculation as well.

hey! just to provide some insight on sports - if you really like volleyball and swimming, St. Mark’s is not the best choice. However, if you think SM would benefit you in the future (matriculation-wise) you could fight your way through the first year and apply for a sports accommodation for a season to focus on volleyball/swimming. I know WA is great at sports!

1 Like

If you’re ho-hum about your sports and open to a change, I would continue to explore both schools. If you have a,strong inclinations to continue with the ones you have, pick the school that offers them.

Years ago, we got the BEST letter from the president of Denison, encouraging students to do their college revists and make their decisions based on where they could most fully be themselves and do what they loved. Really terrific advice. This is an important part of fit.

If you are seriously loving SMS, explore FULLY how the option do do a sport outside of school will work for you. Many schools have become more flexible around this, recognizing the importance of elite team participation in recruiting, but the time and transportation challenges will still be there. Some schools only do this for students who are already “elite” in their sport but make it more challenging for the student who has yet to break into the “elite” ranks. Definitely try to find some other families who have navigated this to get the low down.

1 Like

Is your son a current student? My D26 was accepted to SMS and several other BS. He is now between SMS and the other one that he was recruited at to play lacrosse and while that is important to him (it is one of several things that we are looking at) - the school is also farther away than we would like. He was admitted as a Day student 4th form at SMS. We were concerned that 75% are borders and admissions said he could switch if he chooses. Does/Did your son like SMS? Besides the revisit day in April we will be going to a local accepted student reception next week. Just really trying to get a feel for SMS. The other BS has a lot online for info, videos and with the coach(es) reaching out to him a lot he has had some good insight into that school. Thanks -

Son is graduating this year. Been there since 9th grade (3rd form). He has had a very nurturing experience with his teachers and there is defintely a type of kid the school attracts. If you feel a fit, it is a FIT! We went to the revisit, went to another school and then came back again for a final look. The revisit was not great or representative of the school and I hope that it is better for you. There was no Q and A with students. Headmaster is leaving end of year and they are doing a HOS search right now. I personally consider this a positive. The school needed strong leadership during covid and it fell short due to head. They just opened brand new dorms and they are incredible. I am excited for the future of SMS. And again. college advising is PREMIUM.

4 Likes

I am going to PM if you do not mind?

sounds good

Agree with @boymom928 on many fronts. No official APs but DS got many 5s on his AP exams and therefore looks to graduate a year early from college. College counseling is supreme, college prep equally so. Community and sense of belonging cannot be beat - the people there truly care about the kids and admissions picks kindhearted, caring individuals to make up their community.

Sports are mandatory, but there are several kids who do club sports and others that do alternatives to competitive sports to meet the requirements. The number of sports decreases with passing years, too (ie V and VI forms have less requirements).

The revisit will be less flash and flair and more of what it truly means to attend SMS (including the food, which historically is worse than what they serve the students daily, per my DS).

My understanding is that WA and SMS are very different from each other in vibe and focus. Pick the one that feels most right to you. Remember the broken leg syndrome!!!

1 Like