Standard for Profs

<p>Really wish there was some sort of mandatory standard for profs publishing info before classes begin. Is it really to much to ask to get textbook info maybe 2 weeks before classes begin? The University encourages students to shop for textbooks and doesn't necessarily encourage a specific store/online vendor....but classes begin tomorrow and 2 of my classes still have no textbook info. I support the University Bookstore, and will get my books there, but would have liked to get that out of the way before classes begin! Also, why not require profs to post course sylabus in Learn@UW at least 1 week before classes begin? 4 of my classes still have nothing in <a href="mailto:Learn@UW">Learn@UW</a>. I do understand that profs have a lot of flexibility in terms of how they utilize Learn@UW.</p>

<p>I have noticed that sometimes while Student Center has no textbook information, the textbook information IS listed on uwbookstore.com.</p>

<p>I agree (argh!) with the frustration when no syllabus is posted in Learn@UW even the day before class begins. Sometimes you can find a syllabus from a previous semester from the same professor by googling it.</p>

<p>I appreciate your post and sympathy. I had already tried both of your suggestions. I really hope that one day, a standard or common practice can be adopted by the University as a whole. Obviously, the profs have this info in advance…it’s just not being widely shared. The person I spoke with at the University Bookstore is equally frustrated with the textbook situation. Now, they will have to express ship a bunch of books to meet demand.</p>

<p>I completely agree with the posting of textbooks. I think it is irresponsible for the professors to not know (at least 2 weeks before classes begin???) what textbook they will use.</p>

<p>As the spouse of a professor (and parent of UW freshman), please keep in mind it is not always the professor who is responsible for lags in communicating this information. For instance, my husband put his book orders in on time, his university bookstore lost the order, and no data was entered for the course. He found it out in just before students arrived, and books were ordered, presumably not making it onto shelves or onto on-line systems until later. </p>

<p>There are layers of systems in place for these things to work, and while my experience is that those systems generally are efficient and effective at UW, sometimes things do go awry.</p>