state N-Clex certifications

<p>Okay question-
When you go to take your N-Clex exam, is it only valid in the state that you're taking it in? Does that mean that when you move to another state to work in/become a travel nurse, you have to retake the exam?
Also, I remember seeing somewhere that a few states such as Pennsylvania allow your license to be used anywhere...</p>

<p>No idea if any of that is true, but these are just things I've heard in the past.</p>

<p>For students in BSN Programs towards the end of your Sr. year you need to decide which state you want to apply to in order to obtain your initial RN license. Once you have graduated (You have to have your BSN degree) you then apply to that state for RN licensure. Taking the NCLEX exam is tied into this application. Once the state approves the initial part of your application they will then give you the ok to take the NCLEX exam. You then apply for the exam and the results will be sent to that state’s RN licensing board. Obviously if you pass you will then be issued the RN license.</p>

<p>You only have to pass the NCLEX exam one time. If you want to get a RN license in another state you just apply to that state’s nursing licensing board and as long as you comply with any other requirements they might have you do not need to take the exam again (thank God). Some states have nursing compacts with other states that will allow Nurses to practice in one state if they live in another state as long as they have an RN license in the state where they reside. What you have heard about PA is not accurate. It all depends on the nursing regs of the state you want to practice in and whether they have compact agreements with other states. </p>

<p>The NCLEX exam is unlike any type of exam students are likely to take while in college. It is a multiple choice exam given at computer testing centers. After you complete the first 75 questions the exam will stop if you have passed or failed the exam up to that point (however you will not be told if you passed or failed at that time). If the exam continues you have to continue to answer questions (I believe to a total max of 225 questions), but the exam will stop at any point once you have passed or failed the exam (again you won’t be told at that time if you have passed or failed). This can be extremely stressful for students, especially if you have to continue beyond the first 75 questions. Imagine hoping/fearing the the exam will stop each time you answer a question, especially if you are not sure of your answer. Unfortunately it is one of the Rites-of-Passage for RNs. Best wishes to all taking the exam. Hope this info is helpful.</p>

<p>Yes that was definitely helpful!!!
Since you do not find out if you pass the N-CLEX until after graduation, do hospitals still hire before taking it? (AKA can you have a job lined up for after graduation that is yours as long as you pass?)</p>

<p>My D’s experience was that you can apply for RN positions to hospitals in the latter part of your Sr. year, a few may even interview with you, but many don’t even want to speak to you until you actually have your RN license. Many will tell you they will keep your resume on file and instruct you to get back to them once you have your license. No one will actually hire you without the license. Some hospitals (who really want to hire you) might give you a very “informal” offer of a position once you have your license but I believe this would certainly be the exception more than the rule. The best overall response I can give you is that it is possible but not very likely.</p>

<p>My daughter had 2 job offers with hospitals that were contingent on passing the NCLEX by the start date. She had to sign something like a letter of intent with the hospital she planned to work with - they wanted her to sign within a week of giving the offer which was unexpected - she was hoping to check out other options before committing but it doesn’t work like that.</p>

<p>I imagine most nursing grads work in lower skilled health care jobs until they pass the RN certification. I think there are many students who don’t pass the exam the first time, but do pass the second time.</p>

<p>Family friend a few years ago started her nursing job (hospital position) before she passed NCLEX. She actually failed it twice before passing; the employer had her do trainings and paperwork until she passed. I don’t think that is typical though.</p>

<p>Hoosiermom- some of how hospitals handle the NCLEX and hiring is based on nursing shortages/availablity in their area. Quite regional,.</p>