Stereotyped by my friends?

<p>My dad's family is Mexican and largely undocumented. I'm a U.S. citizen (born and raised in Michigan) and I was a pretty good student throughout high school, but I'm hearing a lot of stereotyping from people around me. I'm very light skinned, but I constantly get comments about my work ethic and the things I do and the way I speak and it's really bringing me down. I'm starting to wonder if college isn't for me because I won't fit in, even though I was initially really excited to go. How do you deal with stuff like that?</p>

<p>You ignore the idiots!
I have a very, extremely bright son (Mexican American). He was “told” by several competitive classmates that he (son) couldn’t possibly be Mexican because “Mexicans just aren’t as bright as he is/was”. They told him that he was “probably” filipino and lying on the apps to get URM status!!! It wasn’t until they saw me helping out in the sports venues and academic team competitions that they finally had a clue that grandpa was a TEX-MEX; mom was a California-Mex and - the tacos, carne asada, salsas, guacamole, enchiladas and frijoles were frequently served by a Mex-American mom and son’s (6+6) aunts and uncles at school events.</p>

<p>First of all, I’m truly sorry that you’ve had to go through such a terrible experience. However, deciding not continuing your education would be a detriment to yourself and your family, and would only add the statistic that Hispanics, especially Mexican-Americans, are less likely to pursue a college education; you’d be giving in to a group of ignorant people who should have no control over your future. I’ve visited quite a few campuses and had the opportunity to speak with fellow Hispanic students at many of them, and they have all had wonderful experiences in college. While there will always be people who try to put others down, there is neither no reason nor benefit for giving up. </p>

<p>Perhaps you need to be around friends that are more supportive. They are not your friends if they do not accept your dreams. I am a first generation college graduate from my family, Mexican American from the Texas border and very light skinned (my family has indigenous Indian and Spanish ancestry). Nothing could stop me from getting my college education and now I have a Master’s and married to my husband who has a PhD. My children will hopefully continue this educational legacy. Dream big, work hard and enjoy the journey.</p>

<p>just ignore the stereotypes and the haters lol </p>

<p>In your town in Michigan, there probablly aren’t tons of people of mexican descent. Or if there are, they may be low wage workers. The people who you speak of have ill formed stereotypes based on either their image of people of Mexican descent or low wage workers that may be near by. This is not indicative of people of Mexican descents potential…like all people, you need to have opportunity for education. When you look at colleges, you will see a more diverse student body. Make sure there are a variety of people at the colleges you look at.</p>

<p>Make no mistake, college is for you. Go get what is yours! You will find your place of comfort and network of friends on campus. It make come early or it may come late but it will come. </p>

<p>Have you considered applying to colleges in Arizona, California,Texas and New Mexico? Many have Hispanic majorities, and have reasonable out-of-state tuition, as well as nice weather.</p>