Student Credit Card

I get alerts every time my card is used, and I check. My daughter accidentally used my card for ubering with friends in Nashville, she didn’t realize it (has bits of our cards on her account). One son is an authorized user, but doesn’t have access to his card.

Until this week so was my H on my venture X! :smile: I wanted him to get the free priority pass membership for the airport lounges, but he didn’t need any more temptation to buy stuff. But this week, he had to pay a $2000 medical bill and I wanted the double points on my card vs his amazon card which has a lower limit, so I gave it to him.

3 Likes

Yes - I’ve added my s23 to my credit cards as an authorized user (and the new cards are going to stay at home in a drawer - not because I don’t trust him, but because I do not want the hassle of needing to cancel my card and associated autopay accounts if he were to lose his wallet) it will be another data point for building credit history!

1 Like

Understandable and a great way to never miss a payment! I’m encouraging weekly checking and paying of his card (at first) so that he develops the habit of tracking his spending and manually making the payments to “feel” his spending.

1 Like

I once heard a definition of rich, “Having all your bills on auto pay”.

Our D23 has been an authorized user on one of our cards for a while. We went down to the bank(BMO Harris) and she was able to get a card in her own name. The card is tied to the same app as the bank accounts so paying it off is super easy.

The not so fun part was when the card showed up with all the paperwork she read the paperwork in detail. She is that kid/person. Never go to a museum with her it takes forever. So her two accountant parents had to give a lesson about interest rates and the difference between APR and Margin rate, etc. It was at that point I realized my job can be very boring.

We:

1. Went to our bank and got our kiddo her own card with me as a co-signer. Limit was pretty low but we figured she was establishing credit. I was able to monitor it in our app since I was a co-signer. At some point they offered her a new card without me signing so she took it and closed the first account. Recently they made her another offer for a card with better rewards and with an oddly high credit limit so she just switched to that. She’s very responsible with her credit cards.

2. Had her as an authorized user on our card for emergencies, for charges bigger than her limit, or for things we paid for (i.e. doctors appointments, meds, etc.). She had been an authorized user on our card for some time because in high school she traveled a bit for a sport without us and needed access to a card at times. Again, she’s very responsible so this works for us.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.