Student on bike hit by truck!

<p>Thank you for the update, dana3marie. We will continue to keep him in our prayers.</p>

<p>Prayers for Alex and his family and friends thru this time and for a speedy and full recovery.</p>

<p>I was witness to this accident, unfortunately. I am glad to see what I was hoping for the guy was confirmed and I’m thrilled to hear he is still with us and able to receive more treatment. I’m a member of the Million Dollar Band, and I’ve been trying to find out news of his condition because I really would like to present him with a gift on the behalf of the entire marching band here on campus. Please feel free to contact me at my email (<a href=“mailto:jrjohnson7@crimson.ua.edu”>jrjohnson7@crimson.ua.edu</a>) about this matter. I’m a firm believer that going through that kind of pain is a situation where the amount of friends a person has should never be the same or less. Coming together as humans for empathy and support should play much more of a major role, especially in times of hurt!</p>

<p>Alex was transferred to UAB hospital in Birmingham about a week ago. His parents are old family friends; his father actually delivered two of my children. My son is now a freshman at UA and as my husband and I were moving him into his dorm last month we heard that Alex was starting as a freshman there as well. Unfortunately we ran out of time and had to fly home before we could touch base with him. His family is with him at UAB, and he is steadily improving. I’m sure all the support and good wishes shown here are greatly appreciated by his relatives.</p>

<p>I would be more than happy to take the hour to drive to UAB to give our gift to him or a person who is allowed to visit him. The band is signing a large drum head with an Alabama script A printed on it for him! =D</p>

<p>Let’s all continue to pray for this young man and his family. Hoping for a full and speedy recovery and a renewed start for his college career…
Thank you to those who are giving us the updates, please continue to keep us informed as we are still concerned.</p>

<p>I think what the MDB is doing is a wonderful gesture and I am sure it will bring a spot of joy to that brave young man. Thanks a million, MDB!</p>

<p>Even if we are careful and wear helmets accidents can still happen. However, it might be a good time to remind our students who bike to please wear their bike helmets and follow the rules of the road. Be cautious and careful and don’t worry about looking like a geek with your helmet on. You only have one head. I have a friend who is a long term competitive biker, who while wearing a helmet had a serious bike injury. She suffered a severe concussion due to an impact with a utility pole, her helmet cracked in half (imagine not wearing one) and still suffers memory loss after several years.</p>