Student on bike hit by truck!

<p>Just read on Facebook that a student was hit riding bike. At Hackberry Lane and 15th street. Prayers to all involved!!</p>

<p>Please keep us updated.</p>

<p>That’s a few blocks south of campus. I hope the young person is ok.</p>

<p>[Tuscaloosa</a> bicyclist hit by a truck, now in critical condition - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports](<a href=“http://www.abc3340.com/story/23402136/tuscaloosa-bicyclist-hit-by-a-truck-now-in-critical-condition]Tuscaloosa”>Tuscaloosa bicyclist hit by a truck, now in critical condition)</p>

<p>There are not yet many updates, they have not even said whether the cyclist is a male or female.</p>

<p>News article was just updated:</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa police say a 23-year-old University of Alabama student is in critical condition. Investigators say James Alexander Gudieres was hit by the back wheel of a trailer being pulled by a dump truck. Witnesses say they do not believe the truck driver saw the student. He was dragged for nearly a block. He is being treated at DCH Hospital. The truck driver was not hurt. As for right now, no charges have been filed as of right now.</p>

<p>oh my…dragged for nearly a block! Prayers for this young man.</p>

<p>Oh my, how awful, Prayers sent for the young man and his family.</p>

<p>Prayers for the young man & his family.</p>

<p>The poor guy - I saw one news story that said that it was a green light and the truck was turning right - the driver simply not seeing the student on the bike! I hope and pray he will make a full recovery somehow.</p>

<p>Bicyclist hit by dump truck in Tuscaloosa
Posted: Sep 11, 2013 10:08 AM CDT
Updated: Sep 11, 2013 10:08 AM CDT
By Amber Roberson - email
TUSCALOOSA, AL -
A 23-year-old bicyclist is being treated for injuries after being hit by a dump truck this morning in Tuscaloosa. </p>

<p>According to the Tuscaloosa Police Department, the accident was reported around 7:55 a.m. at 15th Street and Hackberry Lane. </p>

<p>The dump truck was turning right onto Hackberry Lane while the traffic light was green. He said he never saw the biker. </p>

<p>The bicyclist is being treated at DCH Regional Medical Center after sustaining life-threatening injuries.</p>

<p>So very sad. I’m always very worried during right turns…bikes can come up so fast they are easy to miss.</p>

<p>I almost passed out when I read this thread title, thinking that maybe it was my D out on a training ride – I truly hate the cycling part of her training and her racing. I have stopped cycling myself after a close encounter with an SUV driven by a woman on her cell phone drinking Starbucks (close enough to bang on the window of her car – thank goodness I saw her distraction and unclipped from my pedals). Thanks so much to those of you who posted more details so that I could breath again. We have seen so many bad accidents in our home town, which is supposed to be a bike friendly community. Lifting up a lot of prayers for this young man, and also for the truck driver who must feel awful.</p>

<p>Oh my, oh my. Horrible news. DH has been in two car v. bike accidents and has fortunately come out on the “winning” end…if you consider completely out for a half hour in an intersection with a fractured clavicle, head injury and several missing teeth a “win”. DD just completed a big triathlon, so she doesn’t have her bike at school right now. I’ve heard UA/T-town is not a “bike-friendly” area. So sad for those who just want to go out for a nice ride around town. Prayers for the injured boy and the driver who must live with this.</p>

<p>Any updates?</p>

<p>The only update I could find corrected the spelling of his last name. I also saw a comment on an article that was posted by someone who said she was his cousin and that this boy plays hockey for the school. I didn’t see his name on the Frozen Tide 2012 roster. </p>

<p>I thinking with a head injury it will be a couple of days before the swelling goes down enough for there to be any real update.</p>

<p>My dd is very good friends with 2 of the Frozen Tide hockey players from our hometown. She texted me yesterday when it happened as her friend was at the hospital at the young man’s side until the parents could get there. What she said was he was hit by a dump truck while riding his bike to school and dragged (she said 2 blocks, but she was relaying information in the moment yesterday morning). The doctors were concerned about internal bleeding. She updated me last night via her hockey friend, that he is expected to make a full recovery.</p>

<p>Yay!!!</p>

<p>So very, very glad to hear this.</p>

<p>If this report is true, it’s a miracle!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Some good news out of T-town</p>

<p>The information I received is word of mouth from students, so I am prayful it is accurate also. With an accident of that severity, things can change moment to moment. As of last night, my dd was updated by her friend that stayed at the hospital that the student was going to be okay. Continued prays can only help!</p>

<p>Thank heaven.</p>

<p>The person who got hit was my really good friend Alex, I spent all day at the hospital with him today. For those who are wondering how he is doing, he is no longer on a breathing tube, and can speak now, but very softly. He is in quite a bit of pain, as expected, but is recovering well in the ICU. He has also been thru six different surgeries and is expected to recieve more. Please keep him in your prayers.</p>