Students reneging on ED acceptances more than in past?

They aren’t taking away a seat from anyone. If they back out of the ED acceptance, that seat goes back into the mix and someone gets it, maybe even the student who was deferred in the ED round and is now in the RD round.

4 Likes

That speaks to your outlook.

11 Likes

Expand on this please. Not sure I totally grasp the remark.

That other kid who got deferred might switch to ED2 at a different college that’s quite a bit lower on their list, therefore giving up their chance to go to their “dream” (ED) college.

Or someone might break the ED agreement late in the process - maybe well after RD decisions are out, and another kid who got WL’d because of this kid might commit elsewhere.

3 Likes

But if Harvard has 2000 seats for the freshman class, 2000 students are going to fill them. You can’t say that A would have gotten in ED if B hadn’t ‘taken’ the seat. It’s just how the system is set up.

Happens with athletes too. Harvard needs a quarterback and offers a spot to A, who accepts but then 5 weeks later decides to go to UF. By then the coach’s next choice has already committed to Princeton or Texas or Kentucky. And so the dominoes fall.

2 Likes

Thank you for those links and information. I do not, however, see how what I proposed would be an anti-competitive process. If a student elects to apply ED or REA somewhere, then they have agreed not to apply elsewhere (or whatever the restrictions are on the REA). Thus, the student has agreed to limit themselves and the centralized database would merely enforce that decision. If a student’s restricted choice results in a deferral or denial or the student turns down the ED offer on financial grounds, then the block would be lifted and the student would be able to resume applying to schools. As no student is required to apply ED or REA, I fail to see how this would be an anti-competitive model that would fall under the issues in the lawsuit/consent decree.

1 Like

I see it differently. But this point isn’t the main focus of this thread so I’ll leave it at that.

1 Like

Yes, their honor code has this provision. Very unusual.

I didn’t know that either, but it makes sense that international students would tend to apply ED or EA. If they need to get a visa, being able to get that process started early would certainly relieve quite a bit of stress.

If the yield at the bottom edge of RD admits is 33%, then replacing an ED backout would mean admitting three more applicants at the margin.

ED applicants only agree not to apply ED elsewhere, but agree to matriculate if affordable. REA applicants agree not to apply elsewhere specified by the REA rules.

3 Likes

Check with the individual college regarding their REA policy. They differ. Know which ones allow you to apply EA to another school and which ones do not. Then there is SCEA. Check each school’s policy.

My D applied to one school ED and one EA, and these were the only two schools she applied to. She was very confident that she would be accepted to both based on grades, test scores and portfolio review. She didn’t use ED/EA to boost her chances. She just wanted to be done with the app process as soon as possible. She knew by 12/1 where she was going and really enjoyed the majority of her senior year.

9 Likes

So am I noticing that there appears to be an increased number of parents who view this behavior as acceptable? It seems to be the case, if this thread is an indicator of anything.

I don’t! While I don’t like ED (for reasons stated earlier) I think people who use it (often kids from privileged backgrounds) should have to abide by it unless there is a true financial mismatch (as opposed to wanting - but not needing - to take advantage of an unexpected merit offer) or unexpected family circumstances (i.e. needing to be near home because a parent is ill, mental health issues).

6 Likes

This is my take too. I will add…for schools that have inaccurate/incomplete NPCs I am much more tolerant of students backing out of ED.

6 Likes

ED is not only for the privileged. If you have a low EFC and you can get an early review from a school and you are ok with that number - you can apply ED.

Northeastern gave an early read to by brother because he was considering ED. It was very close to what we could afford.

He wound up applying ED to UM. Ran the NPC and my mother contacted FA - they said it would be pretty close and it was. He was just recently admitted to UM with nice aid.

If you want to apply ED and are not wealthy - it can be done. Do your homework. Talk with your GC. My brother’s GC advised about the aid he has seen with UM in similar situations. Contact FA office of the prospective schools.

Most of all just do the right thing. Don’t just use it to hedge your bets and then change your mind. It’s not a crime but it’s unethical.

15 Likes

Not only for them, but mostly used by them and definitely gamed by them.

I guess there will always be those types who find a way to game the system.

2 Likes

Just curious-for people no applying for FA are they also not keeping ED commitment? If saying beneficial to wealthy students assume they are not applying for FA and can not back out?