Study Abroad for Music Majors

Hi everyone,

I’m wondering how studying abroad for a semester works or does not work for a musician. Given that a student is paired with an individual instructor so closely, can one even take the time away from their core program to do this?

Berklee has a campus in Valencia (a city where we’ve spent time and love), and I feel like some of the schools on our list, such as Loyola and Denver, have programs that are flexible enough for a student to do this.

My S hasn’t said anything about this, so this is just out of my own curiosity. The ability to be in a Spanish-speaking city was one big consideration in applying to Miami. He loves Latin jazz, loves the Spanish language, and I can see him wanting to do this one day.

Many music majors spend summers at various audition based music festivals which can be either domestic or abroad. These experiences allow for study with different teachers as well as collaboration with other musicians.
I know my son’s program does not have any option for study abroad. And a fun fact is that oboe style is very different in Europe as compared to the US. So not necessarily advantageous to study abroad, unless one plans to audition and work abroad. This is oboe specific, though.

2 Likes

Ah, summer is a way! That’s another reason for looking at reasonably priced schools. That is interesting about the European style. My guess is that with a guitar that’s part of the point, to learn in a different style, so it’s a very different concept to study elsewhere.

Most programs have some sort of study abroad. My D didn’t do the semester program bc she was cast in an opera. Still she did a quite a few summer programs…all she found out about at her schools and through recommendations from other students. He’ll get plenty of information on that…for national and international programs. Remember if it costs money…they’ll be lots of opportunities to spend!

On a serious note, when consider schools, keep in mind that you will most likely be paying for some sort of summer program. If you spend every cent on tuition, your kid may miss out on these opportunities which can be quite good for building a network. This is also a way to keep up-to-date with other students. I know kids who have done “solid” but maybe not “selective” programs due to money…and used summer programs to access their progress.

1 Like

My kid never did study abroad during the school year (combination COVID/wanted to continue with his teachers) even though his school has an exchange with the Amsterdam Conservatory. What he did end up doing was playing with the Berlin Opera Academy last summer - he got two months in Berlin, played in four operas and had a great time. Plus, for musicians the cost was very low (compared to the singers) - I think he really only paid for housing and airfare.

2 Likes

My son is hoping to be in a choir that travels and it will very likely factor into final decision.
If not, he at least wants to do a trip to Europe.
We just got a flyer in the mail today from one of the schools he is interested in for their Freshman Experience Abroad. The class is assigned in fall and then they end with 2 weeks in Rome, Florence, and Venice. It is not music related but still something my son would love. He just wants to see places!

One of my kids studied abroad twice. Both great experiences, and we could afford the programs, and she got credit for all the classes she took abroad.

My music kid wanted to, and UNT offered a summer abroad program specifically for music Ed students, but Covid.

Other than music-specific summer festivals and programs that others have mentioned, best advice for any study abroad is to visit the study abroad office at your university at the beginning of the first semester freshman year and begin making plans. It takes some work to find the best program, best semester (or summer) to go, plan for classes that will earn credit and not delay graduation, and understand how costs work with scholarships and financial aid.

Check with the programs/professors at the schools your student is considering and ask what is available and/or recommended.

UNT college of music lists several global partnership universities on their website that may work specifically for music students. There may be others as well—with careful planning.

1 Like

Thank you for this great advice to work on it early.

My kid (composer) went to Europe for several festivals. They tended to be funded by the festival or by the university. Even airfare was covered by the university. This varies from school to school of course.

Some festivals combine composers and instrumentalists and the instrumentalists play pieces by peer composers, plus other works. European classical music, at least in the composition world, tends to the progressive or even experimental.

COVID interfered a lot. My kid cannot go to Royaumant now because they have graduated and have a job!

Lots of great summer adventures ahead for your kids if they choose to go, whether domestic or abroad!

This has been a point of interest for us so I have been asking questions on all our travels. My older kid didn’t do this, it just fell off our radar with covid and taking classes over the summer ended up being a good use of his time since he was double degree and covid was keeping us all pretty locked down until pretty recently.

BUT each of the programs my current kid is looking at is different. Like one program said, we don’t recommend doing it during the year but a lot of the faculty here is involved in summer programs, have lines on scholarships you might apply for, and it’s good to keep some room in the budget for that. One program had 4 very specific study abroad options, from highly selective auditions to go do a couple electives and get funding for private lessons partially covered. Another said they had a ton of options and beyond flights would be covered. Another does a J term in January and has a lot of options for that time frame.

Anyway, for schools under consideration, I would definitely have your kiddo send something asking specificially about study abroad/summer programs and what students at that program tend to do along the lines of study abroad and/or summer programs. If you hit any accepted student events, it’s a great thing to ask random music students, faculty, etc about.

My kid did a semester at Royal College of Music in London…but his school (at the time) had an exchange program with them. In addition, the college had its own dorms and classroom facilities nearby. Not sure if that program still exists, but it was wonderful.

A number of schools that my son is considering have Conservatory Exchange abroad options. Some are with specific schools, others will match teachers for the individual student. It doesn’t seem that unusual.