Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

<p>I meant that in reply to:</p>

<p>“Not college, but my son rejected one gifted program for middle school because on the tour, a kid said, “We have Latin here. It’s a dead language, you know.””</p>

<p>My older sister refused to look at anything within a 4hr drive from home. When she realized that this banned her current top 2 choices, she just crossed them off the list, even though they were exactly what she wanted.</p>

<p>Reviving this thread too –</p>

<p>Friend’s daughter wouldn’t apply anywhere close to home because she didn’t want her dad coming to watch her sports events. Hmmm…</p>

<p>^</p>

<p>Read that one before ( similar story). I myself top choice Michigan State University, though now having second thoughts since it’s only 10 minutes from my house, family issues, and my local hospital ( have a food intolerance, allergies etc… none have been diagnosed).</p>

<p>S and I went to tour an in-state school. Drove 2 hours - there was a bit of construction caused traffic at the off ramp - took a slight detour - a bit more traffic - arrived on campus - S refused to get out of the car!</p>

<p>Just catching on up on this thread again.</p>

<p>Have to comment on the University of Miami girls with bikini tops and shorts.</p>

<p>This is an actual fact. There was a marine bio major, in the Honors program, who wore nothing but flip flops, bikini top, and shorts every day to class. Gorgeous girl! The envy of us all! Flawless tan and an honor student! </p>

<p>Now, as I approach 50, I wonder how far down to her knees her two assets have reached! My grandma used to call that “Croopers Droop”.</p>

<p>I think this forum is less about not likely somewhere and more about being spoiled brats, lol. Some reason are quite hilarious, but others are just plain ridiculous. The day my parents would drive several hours somewhere and I refuse to get out of the car, would have been the day I would have ceased to exist.</p>

1 Like

<p>I thought the same thing, Forever LSU. If I was that parent, it would have been time for some smackdown. Or, more likely, I would have said, “Huh, that’s funny. You don’t want to get out of car, and coincidentally, I don’t feel like giving you one red cent toward college anymore. Good luck with those loans!”</p>

<p>I agree, I don’t get the “Wont get out of the car”. What could be that awful?
I admit, I’ve gotten a bad feeling pulling up at a college, but did the tour,etc. If I told my parents way back when, I was not getting out of the car, it would have been my last trip, especially if they drove 3-4 hours. Mine have been pretty good, maybe a little “I’m bored looking” at times, but they did the tour.</p>

<p>My son has only disliked one college so far, but he was gracious during the visit and seemed to make a genuine effort to appreciate the place. Only a few days later did he come right out and say that he didn’t like it, but he seemed to have thought it over sincerely, which is all I can ask.</p>

<p>

Montegut was that really necessary? I mean we all have issues about aging, but did you really have to share that with us?</p>

<p>The girl at Miami didn’t have any problem sharing it, apparently.</p>

<p>A certain college in Boston- huge flight of stairs which I would definitly slide down and kill myself at the first sight of ice.
A certain university in Boston- 32 girls to a bathroom. No way. Plus depressing common rooms.
Colgate- toothpaste!
State college- the sinks in the chemistry department were filthy. I’m not going for chem.
Vanderbilt- I heard the girls are “super hot.” I don’t want too much competition. Bad reason! Haha.
Fordham- FU!</p>

1 Like

<p>Sorry, bird rock. Lack of sleep. Just had to respond to the Miami bikini top. Didn’t mean to offend.</p>

<p>I don’t read “refused to get out of the car” as being bratty. I used it as a slightly overly dramatic way of describing a kid who knows the second they see a campus that it’s not right for them. My mom took me to see one particular college, and when we arrived I said to her, “We don’t need to waste our time taking the tour. I’m not going here.” She said, “Well we drove all the way here, so we’re doing the tour.” So we did it, but we both knew I wasn’t going to apply there. </p>

<p>DS never actually refused to get out of the car, but he made it clear before we even went one school (our state flagship) that he had no interest in going there and was simply doing the tour because we wanted him to. We replied, “You don’t have to go here. You don’t even have to apply. But you DO have to look, because its half the cost of the schools you like.” He went along with it. But saying he “refused to get out of the car” wouldn’t be too far off of his reaction to this school.</p>

<p>So “refused to get out of the car” might not be bratty defiance, but simply a way of saving everyone’s time. If a kid really doesn’t want to go somewhere, he’s wasting his parents time if they tour the school any way.</p>

<p>We started out touring schools that we all knew probabably wouldn’t make our son’s list. The idea was to sart local, give S somthing to use for comparisons, and start to figure out the big/small, urban/rural thing. We also went on a college trip with a friend of his who had different interests. We saw some “unlikelies” then, too (as did the friend). I don’t think that time was wasted.</p>

<p>It costs too much.</p>

<p>But the question assumes that the folks are already there.</p>

<p>My son refuses to even look at one school because he considers the mascot to be “downright freaky!”</p>

<p>
[QUOTE=Lafalum]

So “refused to get out of the car” might not be bratty defiance, but simply a way of saving everyone’s time. If a kid really doesn’t want to go somewhere, he’s wasting his parents time if they tour the school any way.

[/quote]

Glad to hear someone else thinks this way too! I recall attending a scholarship dinner with geek_son at Big State U – rush hour commute, suboptimal parking. About two minutes after we set foot on campus, he said, “Mom, I really don’t like this place.” I pressed him to keep an open mind, and we went on to the dinner. The only thing accomplished by staying was that the socializing and presentation thoroughly cemented his views that This Place Was Not For Him… and I agreed. We ended up leaving about two hours later, after a long dance of trying to catch each other’s eye and send a “let’s get out of here” signal.</p>

<p>Some other visits were useful even though the school was crossed off the list; he discovered his preferences along the way and had a basis for comparison. But spending time on the “definite no way” (long after the formative road trip) was just a waste of a couple of hours.</p>