Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

<p>My DD said she will not consider any school in California. DS won’t consider any school in NYC.</p>

<p>RobD</p>

<p>I like your sense of humor - I even got it without the translation. </p>

<p>Funny about Vandy - my DD definately thought it had that “up north” feel…typical TExas Girl.</p>

<p>Cornell - since he hated having to write Cornell notes in high school.</p>

<p>My S said the same thing about Cornell notes when his cousin started attending.</p>

<p>What are “Cornell notes”?</p>

<p>Any school that speaks of itself as “prestigious”. If they value prestige above learning, forget it. Not that I don’t agree…but she forgets that the people who write the publicity are not teaching the courses.</p>

<p>My neighbor’s child who is the engineering type didn’t want to apply to Rice because he did not like the food. However that was also because he would receive a lot of terrible jokes he would receive, in the end he chose MIT over Stanford because he liked cold weather.</p>

<p>Here is an explanation of Cornell notes. They are very big at our high school.</p>

<p>[Cornell</a> Notes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Notes]Cornell”>Cornell Notes - Wikipedia)</p>

<p>According to D2:</p>

<p>Colby = “a kind of cheese; would you go to a school named ‘Cheddar’?”</p>

<p>Colgate = “a brand of toothpaste; how about ‘Tom’s of Maine’?”</p>

<p>Tufts = “sounds like what a good fabric softener does to your mattress pad”</p>

<p>^^^ bclintonk, sounds like you have a future marketeer on your hands…</p>

<p>My D ruled out the entire South after we visited Georgia Tech and she saw groups of girls wearing sundresses and high heels to a football game. </p>

<p>She also refuses to attend school in Chicago (our hometown), which has eliminated U of Chicago and NW.</p>

<p>And Valpo is out b/c it sounds too much like Alpo.</p>

<p>U of Chicago (which many including mom think may be a great fit) because of the “squirrel joke”. Swarthmore because “they want to save the world in their spare time”. Princeton – too clubby and preppy – we visited in summer, there was almost noone there! Rice because it is in Texas. McGill because horses wear ice shoes there in winter and “that can’t be good”. Now, some of these he will likely be applying to anyway…</p>

<p>I haven’t heard the U of Chicago “squirrel joke;” care to share? The only pithy thing I had heard about U of C was that it had the rep of “where fun goes to die ;)”</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>They wear them the northern US states where there is a “normal” winter with ice and snow, although perhaps Montreal may get a little more.</p>

<p>Apparently there are many large and aggressive squirrels on campus. The joke goes something like “UChicago - where the squirrels are braver than the men and more attractive than the women”. Supposedly “everyone” tells this joke.</p>

<p>lol about sundresses at football games. That is the “dress code” for sorority girls at SMU games - white sundresses, heels and pearls. The student section is a sea of white (despite the school colors being blue and red). My D decided that she was definitely not the SMU type, just couldn’t see herself dressing up to go class.</p>

<p>Aniger- lol about the squirrel joke. That gives my D another reason to rule out U of C.<br>
I had heard the expression “U of Chicago, where fun goes to die” before, but not the squirrel joke.</p>

<p>megpmom-when my D told her grandfather about the “southern girls wearing sundresses & high heels to a football game” he laughed and relayed a story of the Cowboys playing the Packers in Green Bay back in the 60s. He said all the Dallas woman wore dresses, nylons and high heels to the game- desipite the fact that it was below zero. Apparently, not a new phenomenon.</p>

<p>D is at UAlabama and the sorority girls do wear dresses to the football games while the fraternity brothers wear blazers & ties. But D & her friends sitting in the student section have been wearing jeans & some type of UA Crimson tee shirt. She thought about wearing a dress the last game just so she could say that she did it once, but that thought passed quickly.</p>

<p>Even I wore a blazer, plaid skirt and add-a-beads to a few UGA football games in the 80s, and I was definitely NOT a preppie or in a sorority!</p>

<p>My frends D rules out U Chicago because the Swimming waiver test needed for Phys Ed at the Orientation week.</p>

<p>She could not swim.</p>