Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

<p>My S can’t swim, either, but he passed Chicago’s test by backfloating all four laps. :)</p>

<p>the uchicago ’ where fun comes to die’ was a brillant business joke for tshirts at one of the dorm houses- they sold a ton and bought a big screen tv- i saw it this weekend</p>

<p>

He must be a serious gourmand, then. I love the food at Rice’s two larger serveries - and the quality, freshness and variety is excellent. It’s a far cry from the food I was served at a large public university 30 years ago… :eek:</p>

<p>^^ I think they meant he doesn’t like the grain known as rice. Too biased to even visit the campus and try the food there. I think that qualifies for the “stupidest reason a child won’t look at a college” – the title of this thread.</p>

<p>^ Yes, indeed he did not ‘like rice so he did not apply to Rice’. It did appear as somewhat amusing to the rest of us.</p>

<p>My daughter would only apply to “coke” schools. (Schools that had coke in the vending machines, not Pepsi)</p>

<p>Huh, I am more against schools with Coke, [because</a> of the human rights violations, former Nazi slave labor, and levels of pesticides.](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Coca-Cola]because”>Criticism of Coca-Cola - Wikipedia)</p>

<p>I wouldn’t want to go to a school named after someone I didn’t like. The name “Carnegie Mellon” does not appeal to me after reading “The Gospel of Wealth”, but I wouldn’t go there anyway.</p>

<p>My daughter didn’t apply to Princeton (years back) because the girls she saw there wore nail polish and were just “too polished” overall.</p>

<p>Now, of course, at 25, guess who’s polished?</p>

<p>My D turned down a substantial scholarship offer when she realized that the colors of THE Ohio State University included red. Said she just couldn’t do four years of clashing with her hair (also red).</p>

<p>LOL fencersmother–that’s reasonable!</p>

<p>I jrecently realized I have a problem with “Mizzou” as a college nickname. What’s wrong with University of Missouri? Mizzou just grates on my ears.</p>

<p>mommusic: A little history on Mizzou. The school (my alma mater) was originally Missouri State University in the 1800s. So Mizzou came from a sliding together the initials MSU. The nickname stuck ever after the legislature changed the name to the University of Missouri. Now MSU is a completely differently school in another part of the state (formerly SW Missouri State) But there is only one Mizzou! It’s the official “brand” of the University of Missouri. The alumni association recently changed its name from University of Missouri Alumni Association to Mizzou Alumni Association.</p>

<p>I believe Washington State uses Wazzou for WSU?</p>

<p>"I believe Washington State uses Wazzou for WSU? "</p>

<p>Yup, I wore a “Wazzu” T-shirt for years!</p>

<p>Our high school’s cross-town rival wears green and their mascot is a mustang, so that meant no schools whose colors are green or who have a mustang for their mascot. UC Irvine was out because they named their dorms after the Lord of the Rings. But this fact was actually a selling point for one of my nieces.</p>

<p>What’s wrong with that? He would probably hate living in Vikings territory. That’s like asking a red sox fan to go hang out in a yankees bar. Disaster inevitable.</p>

<p>I’m sure that there’s plenty of schools that offer just as good opportunities. </p>

<p>By the way, tell him we don’t want him in New England anyway. Go Pats.</p>

<p>Ha, ha, getting a reply to my initial post.</p>

<p>Just to update, my son did not head to the midwest. A cold spell down south made him rethink heading up north for college.</p>

<p>In the meantime, our beloved Saints have gone to the Superbowl. Son was willing to give a “football school” a chance.</p>

<p>He is now attending the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. He does not get too much into the football, may watch half a game, but he is enjoying it, and the fact that he will graduate debt free. </p>

<p>As for football rivalries, we will be experiencing the Alabama-Auburn rivalry at the Iron Bowl this year. The whole family has become a fan of college football. But we still love our Saints. And the only college destination that we as parents would rule out would be Atlanta. Those Dirty Birds!</p>

<p>My ds won’t consider anything like Miami Univ. in Ohio, or Indiana University of Pennsylvania…says they have an identity crisis or “geographic envy”</p>

<p>^^lol…Wash U?</p>

<p>Yes, Wash. U is in the same boat. IUP keeps sending us stuff too, like twice a wk and it’s just wasted postage, goes right in the recycling.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I must rise to Miami of Ohio’s defense. It was founded in 1809, eighty-seven years before the city of Miami, Florida, was incorporated, and 116 years before the University of Miami was founded. For that matter, the University of Miami isn’t even in Miami—it’s in Coral Gables. I think it’s Miami “of Florida” that has the identity crisis! :D</p>

<p>This reminds me of people wouldn’t consider Bowling Green when I was a student there, because their colors are orange and brown, when they’ve got green right in their name. This strikes some people as just too stupid. (And it sort of is, isn’t it?)</p>

1 Like

<p>^Further: Miami, Florida got its name from a Tequesta placename, Maymi, which may have meant “wide lake.” The Tequesta and Miami Indian languages are not related at all.</p>

<p>So, Miami Florida is an unrelated upstart. ;)</p>

<p>Edit: Tho I must admit, until I moved to Ohio I had never heard of the Miami Indians OR Miami University of Oxford, Oh.</p>