Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

<p>My kids are 3 years apart but I didn’t notice differences in the mailings either… other than that they were from some different colleges, as one’s SAT scores were 300 points higher than the other.</p>

<p>I was thinking about this and remembered I wouldn’t look at any college in VA because there was a girl in my high school class who was so pretentious and a huge bigot and from VA. I didn’t want to spend anytime in that state.</p>

<p>mythmom - when I worked at a software company I was told the exact opposite. both Geeks and Nerds were smart and could be a bit fashion-challenged, but a Nerd has no social skills whereas a geek does…of course these were all GA Tech grads sooo…</p>

<p>Funny.</p>

<p>kerrbo: It may well be so. I just passed on what the kids said. I know I like the word Geek better.</p>

<p>Well, according to this quiz, I’m more nerd than geek or dork! 61% nerd, no less!</p>

<p>[OkCupid</a> | Take The Nerd? Geek? or Dork? Test](<a href=“http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=9935030990046738815]OkCupid”>http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=9935030990046738815)</p>

<p>If the link doesn’t work, google “what’s the difference between geek and nerd” and look for the OK Cupid link. There are some very funny questions! Example:

</p>

<p>Their definitions:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Marilyn - I’m not quite as big a Nerd as you are…only 57% :-)</p>

<p>Based on their definitions - I’m gonna take a wild guess and assume that the majority of CCs are in the Nerd category.</p>

<p>Not exactly a surprise: Pure Nerd</p>

<p>78 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 35% Dork</p>

<p>(I think knowing Elvish did me in!)</p>

<p>no surprise - Pure Nerd!</p>

<p>74% Nerd, 30% Geek, 30% Dork</p>

<p>I think being married with a Masters degree and moderately athletic cut down on the Dork & Geek side, although I did admit to being clumsy!</p>

<p>I swear by this venn diagram:</p>

<p><a href=“http://c2508872.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Nerd_Dork_Geek_Venn_Diagram.jpg[/url]”>http://c2508872.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Nerd_Dork_Geek_Venn_Diagram.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^Love it! .</p>

<p>I am a Modern, Cool Nerd. I can’t tell you how excited that makes me. 91 % Nerd, 65% Geek, 43% Dork</p>

<p>I am glad CC is finally addressing the important questions. Inquiring minds want to know. I don’t have time now, but I’ll be back for the quiz later!</p>

<p>Pure Nerd also. 65% Nerd, 9% Geek, 22% Dork. Lots of Nerds here!</p>

<p>Love the Venn diagram :)</p>

<p>I’m joining the Nerd Herd, it looks like:
Pure Nerd</p>

<p>87 % Nerd, 39% Geek, 30% Dork</p>

<p>Forgot to post the rest of my stats:</p>

<p>61 % Nerd, 30% Geek, 39% Dork</p>

<p>I’m dorkier than I thought but not as nerdy as many of you!</p>

<p>I just heard about a library system that was advertising its services so people could “geek” on their favorite subjects. They invited local celebreties to advertise that they “geek” on science fiction, fashion, politics, etc. I normally hate when people make words verbs, but it seems to fit. Don’t we all “geek” on CC?</p>

<p>Gerd will always mean gastric reflux for me, sorry. My D was an “orch dork,” at least I heard her & others referring to themselves as such. S was a “band geek,” which I also heard reference to. I rarely use any of these terms, for fear of offending as it’s one thing for kids to call themselves & friends whatever they choose but another to be “labelled.”</p>

<p>Am not familiar with kids wanting to be called any of these labels by me. I guess I skirt the issue rather than risk offense.</p>

<p>In the “test,” I am a “pure nerd” @ 65%, with 9% geek & 13% dork. Mostly, I’ve heard these terms negatively applied. Have not ever thought of myself as a nerd or any of these other labels. </p>

<p>The musical kids didn’t seem to mind those labels, at last in middle school, when they were used. Never heard them after that.</p>

<p>Great thread , gone off topic with the geek/nerd comments!</p>

<p>My daughter refused to look at any school in the state of Virginia , no reason given. Visited and loved schools in NC , MD , DE , PA.</p>

<p>78 percent Nerd. Okay. Now I know.</p>

<p>Hahaha. </p>

<p>78% nerd, 30% geek, 65% dork</p>

<p>My classification? Tri-Lamb material. :stuck_out_tongue: Seeing as I missed the anime convention this year because I had to go to an academic awards ceremony, I’m somehow unsurprised.</p>